IGNORED

The Stimpmeter speed of my carpet is...

kfowler
Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6.6 .

So I created one of those homemade Stimpmeters that's been discussed here lately. Only difference was I added a support to consistently give me the 20*. Seems to work pretty well. I have standard builders grade carpet. I thought it would have been closer to 4. According to Wikipedia, the USGA says 6.5 is medium speed for standard greens.

Pretty interesting.
  • Upvote 2

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

LOL. This place is great. I was waiting to see who would do it first.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I always thought that stimp number was calculated as downhill- (minus) uphill roll. Is that not accurate? Or do you have a slope in your house?

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you know this really is accurate? What if the real USGA stimpmeters make the ball travel faster compared to yours? Either way, it is probably a solid estimate...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You should stimp on a level part, and you go in opposite directions and average them to account for any residual slope or grain.

There's nothing magical about the official stimp meters, they're just a piece of metal with a groove set to release a ball at 20° inclination. I can pretty much promise you that being a fraction of a degree off on the release point or a centimeter off on the length is not going to be the dominant error in this measurement. I intend to try to build one of these myself, not so much for my carpet but out of morbid curiosity about the greens I play on.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

You should stimp on a level part, and you go in opposite directions and average them to account for any residual slope or grain.

I was thinking more about the material, if it would produce more or less friction that the official one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

"The Stimpmeter is an extruded aluminum bar, 36 inches long, with a V-shaped groove extending along its entire length. It has a precisely milled ball-release notch 30" from the tapered end (the end that rests on the ground). The underside of the tapered end is milled away to reduce bounce as a rolling ball makes contact with the green."

"The V-shaped groove has an included angle of 145 degrees, thereby supporting a golf ball at two points ½" apart. A ball rolling down the groove has a slight overspin, which is thoroughly consistent and has no deleterious effect on the ensuing measurments"

"The ball-release notch is designed so that a ball will always be released and start to roll when the Stimpmeter is raised to an angle of approximately 20 degrees. "

It sounds like a pretty easy built to me

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Actually, from that description, it sounds like getting the angle of the V right might be the biggest source of error. In terms of friction between a ball and a surface or edge at those sorts of speeds with a rolling ball, it's going to make very little difference. However, the difference between a 135° angle (from the description) and a 90° angle (what I think is typical for "cove molding") might have an effect. Do they make wider-angled molding?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Mine is based off of the one listed here: How to build your own Stimpmeter

I modified mine to not use the 1/8" notch. I drew a line at 30 inches and then created a stand that would put the height at 10.26". I figured this out by taking 30" * sine(20*). This gave me the correct 20* angle to set the incline at. I cut the end to make it flush with the carpet. I'll try and post a pic.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

The Stimpmeter is an extruded aluminum bar, 36 inches long, with a V-shaped groove extending along its entire length

Dang, my stimpmeter has U-grooves...now it's illegal in tournament play.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

• 4 years later...

13+ (ball rolled off the end of the carpet) which I suspect is much faster than the greens I usually use.

I looked at cove molding and found most of the stock pretty warped. I substituted an L-shaped drip cap door bottom which is a 3' long piece of aluminum bent 90*. The extra little flanges are annoying, but can be worked around, or snipped and sanded down without too much effort, especially if you have a dremel type tool.

I expect it's similar enough to the USGA model (though not to spec as the angle is more acute so contact is made with the edges higher up on the ball) to be in the ballpark for making relative comparisons.

Kevin

My carpet stimps at 11.5 according to the iStimp app on my phone. Seems about right based on putts I've hit on that carpet.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My carpet stimps at 11.5 according to the iStimp app on my phone. Seems about right based on putts I've hit on that carpet.

Any idea what would be a better target stimp for average (muicipal) greens? Mine is too fast.

I expect it may be throwing off my intuitive sense of speed even though I only really use it for work on line.

Kevin

Yah, it seems the iStimp isn't very accurate. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/q4JhVFNFhpY[/VIDEO] Too bad because I would have loved to have found a similar app for my Android device to use at my local courses since most of the time I ask about the stimp they respond that they don't know. I remember for my AimPoint class this summer the instructor demonstrated a way to get the stimp without a stimpmeter but at the moment, I don't recall how.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I remember for my AimPoint class this summer the instructor demonstrated a way to get the stimp without a stimpmeter but at the moment, I don't recall how.

There are like 10 on the internet showing how to get the stimp from the aimpoint class. John Graham has the best one in my opinion.

Michael

Any idea what would be a better target stimp for average (muicipal) greens? Mine is too fast.

I expect it may be throwing off my intuitive sense of speed even though I only really use it for work on line.

Most middle-of-the road courses stimp at about 9-10 or so in my experience, usually closer to 9.

Yah, it seems the iStimp isn't very accurate.

Too bad because I would have loved to have found a similar app for my Android device to use at my local courses since most of the time I ask about the stimp they respond that they don't know.

I remember for my AimPoint class this summer the instructor demonstrated a way to get the stimp without a stimpmeter but at the moment, I don't recall how.

Yes, the iStimp tends to read the greens as faster than they are. I don't use it. The best way is to make some putts under known conditions and correlate to your chart till you find the corresponding stimp, you need to have good speed and line control for this. I usually just assume it's about a 9 and adjust from there based on the first few putts. That's a tip I got from @Golfingdad and it seems to work well enough and it fits nicely with my laziness. High end courses will typically stimp at a higher speed but most of the el cheapos I play are a 9.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!