IGNORED

My Swing (Nuck81)

nuck81
Note: This thread is 4980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had two lessons and started seriously in March. Any Comments are well appreciated.

I'm hitting a six iron and all three shots are about as long, straight and consistent as I can manage right now.

Taken with an Iphone propped up against the ball bucket...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd work on keeping your left arm from collapsing. It's collapsed at setup, impact and especially the top of your backswing.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Your right elbow is too close to the body(at the top of the swing), try keeping it away. Also, remember you are not swinging a driver so you may not want to take your swing as far back as a driver, I never take it parallel

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Your right elbow is too close to the body(at the top of the swing), try keeping it away. Also, remember you are not swinging a driver so you may not want to take your swing as far back as a driver, I never take it parallel

Thanks!!!

I have been working so hard on reducing tension that I tend to get a little too loose and relaxed sometimes, and my club wobbles at the top of my swing, But I usually just let the Inertia of the club straighten it out. I'll work on keeping my elbows a little firmer. To be perfectly honest I didn;t even realize my backswing was going that far back, I didn;t even really notice till you just pointed it out. I used to have the classic choppers straight V swing and switched in lessons to the one plane circle swing I have now, They feel drastically different. That's a great catch, thanks for the tips...

• Administrator
Your right elbow is too close to the body(at the top of the swing), try keeping it away.

Oh god, please don't do that nuck. Keep your right elbow close to your left elbow and relatively close to your body.

Please, please... don't listen to alomar's advice. Alomar, are you planning to play a high-stakes money match against nuck in the near future? That's the only logical reason I can conclude you've given him this advice. Right elbow against your side, feel a straighter right arm. When you feel it start to fold below about 120 degrees, stop your backswing (in reality you don't want it to fold past about 90 to 100 degrees, but the feeling is probably more like 135 or 120).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, a long club does not equal a longer back swing.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

Oh god, please don't do that nuck. Keep your right elbow close to your left elbow and relatively close to your body.

lol! I'm no golf instructor or anything, but it looks as if you're taking the club back on the inside. The clubface is rotating to open and your left arm bends a little too much. It also looks like your arms collapse on the follow-through. Make sure your left arm is straight at impact and your right arm extends through and towards the target.

In the Cleveland bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 9.5°, Aldila NV 65g S
Cleveland Launcher Steel Fairway 15°, Fujikura Gold 65g R
Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 20.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Gold 65g S
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW, Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 S ...

I tend to hit a fade with my irons with good shots, and slices with bad shots. That's why I keep my right hand out of the way as much as I can.

My hybrids I tend to hook, and the Driver usually just goes wherever it wants

N81, you are asking for it! One of the best ways to mess up a golfer's head is to give advice. If you are getting good results, maybe you should close your ears and ignore us all! So take what I say with a saltshaker of salt. Here goes.

1. What shaft are you using? You are obviously a strong guy, and that shaft looks pretty whippy for a mid-iron. If you buy clubs, you probably need stiff and maybe extrastiff shafts.

2. You and your coach decide what type of swing you will use. A high vertical swing like say, Michele Wie's, will have the right elbow away from the body at the top of the swing. But ALL swings will have your right elbow tight against your side on the downswing.

3. What I most notice from the film is how you carry your left arm. You take a "strong" grip with the left hand. That's okay by most golf coaches (though I use a neutral grip, and hate to see coaches shift the grip to the right as a patch for a slice). But you are taking the strong grip not by rotating your left wrist to the right from the elbow down, but by rotating your whole left arm to the right. Unless you have a shoulder injury, I think you need to fix this. You want to have the inside of your elbows pointing more or less to the front, elbows against your sides, THEN moving only the wrist, take your grip with the left hand.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Ole_Tom

1. I'm using True Temper Regular flex. I don't really swing all that hard, but the past week or so I've really been firming up my swing speed, but it's a pretty precarious balance for me now of distance over control. One of the things I've taken from the advice and video is my backswing is too long. I'm going to work on shortening it up.

2. Yes it's been a pretty big transition in swing type, but before my lesson I really had no clue what I was doing.

3. That's a great observation. If you look at the video I only have two fingers of my right hand on the grip. I hold my thumb and forefinger away cause I tend to put too much pressure on the grip with the right hand and it keeps me from rotating at all. It's a goofy looking habit I've picked up. But you're right for better or worse my swing is all left arm. Consequently I tend to hook my hybrids....

Great tips, thanks for watching and replying!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another swing. I posted one about a month ago. I've been working really hard the last few weeks on initiating downswing from hips (ala Hogan) and straightening my left arm.

Sooo Observations? Tips? Progress?

Last Round I shot a 46 for Nine holes...

New Swing

Older Swing from a month ago

I noticed your right thumb and index finger come off the club completely during your takeaway. Hogan suggests this as a practice exercise in his book, but I'm not sure you want to do this in your swing...regripping the club might lead to some problems. (Disclaimer: wtf do I know.)

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

If you could do a view from behind that would help, but this is good too.

I am no means a teacher, so you don't have to listen to my advice. Your takeaway has the thumb issue, but that's all I can see. At the top of the swing your left arm is at bent.

Tiger's swing shows his left arm fully extended and straight, so that could be something to potentially fix. I'm not an expert on impact position, so I can't help you with that. However, right after impact, your arms are scrunched up inside. It would probably help if you released the club, and extended your arms at the end of the swing.

That's all I can help, I wish you the best for your swing.

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

i'm not the best at pointing out flaws and errors but heres what im seeing immediately:
-your head is swaying back and forth from back swing, downswing, follow through. Keep your head steady.
-i dont see much weight transfer going on anywhere. you just kind of lift your club up and sweep it across the floor. on the downswing, transfer your weight to the left foot and hit down on the ball.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Thanks guys!!

Rhode Island- Yeah I picked that up from Hogans book, and it has become a habit. It really helps with my grip tension too, so I'm living with it now, even it does make me look a little special

Forest- I had my IPHONE propped on the fence, next time my GF goes to the range with me I'll get a DTL. I've been really working on extending my left arm through the swing, and it's a lot better from my first video. I think I may still be overdoing the backswing causing the collapse on top. You're right about my weird T rex arm thing on my follow through. Not sure what is causing that or how to fix it, other than working on my arm extension all through the swing. Thanks for the input!!

Golfro- I'm kind of a pendulum swinger and have a really armsy swing. The little hip movement I'm generating on the downswing is pretty new and something I've been working on a lot since reading Hogans book. You're right about the head movement. I think it's the only thing that is worse from the first video to the second.

Thanks for the comments guys, a tremendous help!!

It does look like you are implementing a bit more lower body through the ball, which is a start. The bent left arm is robbing power and torque from your swing, that is something to work on.

Looking at your impact position, there is still more work to be done. You want your left wrist leading your hands down the target line, with your hands well ahead of the club. In your video above, we can see that your clubhead is almost beating your hands. This is likely also a symptom of a flipping motion/early release, you can see the shaft loading and kicking halfway down in your swing.

Ideal impact position:

If you've got $15 to spend, pick up an impact bag as shown above. Using this with a variety of drills will help you get the feeling of leading with a solid left side. Check out Iacas' slide the hips thread for a gallery of near-perfect impact positions, and compare to yours.

Good Luck!

It does look like you are implementing a bit more lower body through the ball, which is a start. The bent left arm is robbing power and torque from your swing, that is something to work on.

Thanks man!!!

I started seriously getting into the game in late March so it's come a long way. The left arm is defintely going to be my focus this month, while still improving the hips. I'm trying to go real slow and work on one thing at a time. Like I tell my music kids, Evolution not revolution!! Really appreciate the advice

Note: This thread is 4980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!