IGNORED

Attention all slicers!!

JaredSS
Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so its not my last post, it's obvious no matter what we say, Shanks a Million knows better.

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched A.J. Reveals the Truth About Golf (the informercial that comes on all the time on the golf channel), and the premise of the video is that golfers *need* to rotate their wrists properly if they are ever going to achieve consistency in the golf swing.

AJ Bonar is a tool and a moron. Go ahead and believe him all you want, but you're not going to find a consistently great player who "swings the little bat." There's a reason Tiger Woods talks about "saving" the shot by trying to flip his hands - because it's nearly impossible to do it and that's why Tiger can't find the fairway.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

AJ Bonar is a tool and a moron. Go ahead and believe him all you want, but you're not going to find a consistently great player who "swings the little bat." There's a reason Tiger Woods talks about "saving" the shot by trying to flip his hands - because it's nearly impossible to do it and that's why Tiger can't find the fairway.

You're never going to find a consistently great player who doesn't have good hand action. I found AJs advice to be helpful. If you're trying to keep the clubface square throughout the entire swing and through impact, as I said in my original post you're taking away your most precise muscles.

Whether adding wrist rotation to your swing thoughts is a good idea is debatable, but it is a fact of physics that your wrists do need to rotate to avoid a slice.

You're never going to find a consistently great player who doesn't have good hand action. I found AJs advice to be helpful. If you're trying to keep the clubface square throughout the entire swing and through impact, as I said in my original post you're taking away your most precise muscles.

Right, because the guy you're arguing with is a pro golfer with a +3 handicap, and you're an 18. Makes sense you'd know better. Actually, several pros here have already refuted you. But, considering you know it all, you should be on tour in no time... Oh, let me guess, the reason you're an 18 is because you have no short game, right? Ha, what bullshit.

Okay, so its not my last post, it's obvious no matter what we say, Shanks a Million knows better.

I respect Shanks a Millions and iacas's experiences and advice a lot more than some infomercial or . As a newbie, I want and need to learn how to swing correctly and I feel I've been getting that from following these two gentleman since I joined the forum. Don't be so closed minded and arrogant.

I don't think I have the physical ability to be a scratch golfer, but understanding why the ball travels the way it does gives me the opportunity to improve, rather than taking random tips from various sources in hopes that eventually one tip will turn me into a super star.

I am sure that most slicers come outside-in, and that must become inside-out to improve their shots. As a higher handicap, I have insight into why slicers do what we do; I've struggled with it for many years. Swinging inside-out is scary and counter-intuitive for a slicer because you're swinging in the direction you are trying to avoid. But adding a bit of wrist rotation to work the ball back to the middle - now it becomes clear as to how a straight shot is going to be achieved. And I do mean *a bit* of rotation, just enough so you get the sensation of controlling the golf ball, but nothing that will wildly throw your swing off plane.

I took lessons from a top 100 pro and the first thing he tried to do with me was to get me to roll my wrists over to get a draw with the driver. I got that right about 1 time out of 25. It's tricky business and if you have some kind of super coordination then, sure, why not? I think most people *including* golf pros don't have that level of control. I didn't go back to that guy.

Does that mean you don't use the precise muscles in your hands/wrists at all? Hardly. I use my hands and wrists to keep the clubface square through the plane for the whole swing. A lot of micro tweaking happens to keep it square, so it's not like the wrists and hands are doing nothing - they're just not loading and unloading which is very hard to control.

My slice issues have to do with setup (feet, hands, shoulders) and swing path. Now, if I practiced and found out I could reliably load and unload my wrists at the precise moment to get the clubface square at impact you can bet I would be doing it. I just don't think it's going to happen.

Padraig Harrington proved you can get real extra distance on a drive by doing the Happy Gilmore....but you won't see him trying that on tour. Some things are just too hard to master.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I don't think I have the physical ability to be a scratch golfer, but understanding why the ball travels the way it does gives me the opportunity to improve, rather than taking random tips from various sources in hopes that eventually one tip will turn me into a super star.

This accurately describes why so many slicers will never hit it straight. A slice is a club moving left, wit the face pointed left. A draw is the club moving right, with the face pointed right. To hit the ball left, you need to swing right. You need to drop the club in behind you. Hitting a draw is more like skipping a stone across a pond, where as a slice is more like throwing a stone straight down into the water. Because the ball sits on the ground, the player feels he needs to swing up and down. The problem is, we're already hunched over, so this leads to being too steep. We need to swing around our body, and the rest will come naturally.

Whether adding wrist rotation to your swing thoughts is a good idea is debatable, but it is a fact of physics that your wrists do need to rotate to avoid a slice.

Which one of Newton's laws is that? I don't believe I'm familiar with it.

On a similar note: why do people keep trying to say "it's a law of physics" to prove themselves right?
As a higher handicap, I have insight into why slicers do what we do; I've struggled with it for many years.

So you have an issue you have never been able to fix yet you have the knowledge to be able to fix it? Sorry, but that gives you absolutely zero credibility on that issue.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, I started a great thread here!! I didn't mean to stir up such an argument. Whether its a band aid or a fix or whatever, I don't really care, if it works, it works. If everyone did swing the club the same why would there be so many different swing types. Heck theres a whole thread on this forum dedicated to Stack and Tilt, which what I've heard is garbage, but I've not tried it so I'm not going to knock it.
The problem with this sight(and all internet sites) is I could be getting advice from Butch Harmon or a 12 year old kid bored to death at his dad's Air Force Base in Anchorage, AK. Bottom line, there are no perfect swings...and before you reply with a quote about how its a band-aid and won't work in a month, please explain to me Jim Furyk's swing, and how about Kenny Perry or Sergio Garcia, perhaps while you're explaining you could go ahead and tell me about Lee Trevinos and why Lee Westwood does swing with a chicken wing.
You could also write to Michael Breed on the golf fix and explain to him(while you have a 7.5 handicap) he's a freakin idiot suggesting people do the split hand grip drill and the headcover under the arm drill to learn how to follow through and rotate the forearms. Go ahead and write Golf Digest and explain to them we don't need the inverted grip drill to get a feel on how the club should turn over at follow through.
Have a nice day, and hit 'em straight!(however you may do that)

3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo

Watch and learn, this will fix your slice forever the right way!

Awesome!!! Thank you! Im going to try this for sure! I just got a new driver, and the shaft is longer than the last one, so now Ive gone from a hook miss to a push fade or even a slice! Its been frustrating for the past two weeks developing a new problem Im not used to having, and not knowing how to fix it.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Awesome!!! Thank you! Im going to try this for sure! I just got a new driver, and the shaft is longer than the last one, so now Ive gone from a hook miss to a push fade or even a slice! Its been frustrating for the past two weeks developing a new problem Im not used to having, and not knowing how to fix it.

From another thread concerning this same video:

Just a quick word of caution - this guy isn't right. His center of gravity is not just below his throat. And if it was and that's where the club bottomed out, then EVERY shot with an iron would need to be played BEHIND the center of his stance in order to hit the ball then continue descending into the ground.

From another thread concerning this same video:

Maybe I misunderstood the video, but it seemed to me like everything he was doing was the same, just his address was different. Looked effective to me. He whole point seemed to be to get your center of gravity actually "centered" and to keep your impact on the upswing. I know for me, at least lately, ive been pushing my weight way forward to attempt from opening the face with a poor backswing. I just assumed it was the extra length in my new driver shaft. Do you have the link for that thread, I would like to read it. Thanks!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

"but it is a fact of physics that your wrists do need to rotate to avoid a slice." Which one of Newton's laws is that? I don't believe I'm familiar with it.

I guess if you're really good you can keep the clubface perfectly square throughout the entire swing. I personally have found this to be difficult. For me, it's easier to rotate my wrists open a bit and return them to square. If you try to rotate the wrists at impact without first opening the club at some point, then yes, that would lead to horrific results.

It isn't a thread about the video. It's a "did I buy the wrong driver" kind of thread and someone felt the need to also spam this video in that thread.

Ohhh, well it seemed practical when I was watching it. I think sometimes we see something that addresses a problem that we know we have or do and it seems like a good idea to try it to fix the issue. Im just frustrated, and haven't had the money to get lessons, so Im scrounging for anything at this point to fix my new problem.

Thanks for the heads up.

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Wow, I started a great thread here!! I didn't mean to stir up such an argument. Whether its a band aid or a fix or whatever, I don't really care, if it works, it works. If everyone did swing the club the same why would there be so many different swing types. Heck theres a whole thread on this forum dedicated to Stack and Tilt, which what I've heard is garbage, but I've not tried it so I'm not going to knock it.

No, our problem is you giving bad information. My handicap is 7.5, but it's dropping with every round I play, because I make the proper changes, and don't let my ego get the best of me.

Every player you mention has the same basic fundamentals. Hackers often talk about Jim Furyk or some other goofy swing to show how right they are, but they don't realize that funny looking and bad fundamentals are totally different. All of these players release the club after impact. I release it earlier than the tour pros, and I'm not as consistent. Now, lets look at a higher handicap golfer who slices the ball: Notice the difference? The club has outraced the hands here, and the ball starts left, and curves right. This is what separates the tour pros from the hackers. You're telling people to fix this by making it worse. What it does, is turns a slice into a pull hook. Accept that some people here know what they're talking about, and are trying to help. I used to have the same attitude as you, and I never got below a 30 handicap, and my swing was always crap. Once I lost the attitude, and accepted the truth, my swing got a lot better.
Maybe I misunderstood the video, but it seemed to me like everything he was doing was the same, just his address was different. Looked effective to me. He whole point seemed to be to get your center of gravity actually "centered" and to keep your impact on the upswing. I know for me, at least lately, ive been pushing my weight way forward to attempt from opening the face with a poor backswing. I just assumed it was the extra length in my new driver shaft. Do you have the link for that thread, I would like to read it. Thanks!

Whether a driver is 40" or 48", the swing stays the same.

Well, my swing is NOT crap, I had a slice on my driver that I have now gotten out. i have been playing a year and my handicap at the beginning of the year was 12, and is dropping everytime I play as well. I consistently shoot in the mid 70's now. This is definitely my last post because you are RIGHT, You're right, you're right, there, I stroked your ego, HAPPY?

3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo

Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!