IGNORED

Wedge -- thin lies -- blading them -- help

Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To the OP: high pitch/flop from a really tight lie is a difficult shot, even for pro's, as there's almost no margin for error when you contact the ball. I too bladed way too many pitches with my low-bounce 60*. For me, i think blading was a subconscious reaction to all the fat/short pitches i also hit too often with that club due to digging. My solution was ditching the 60* for a mid-bounce 58*!
And i'd definitely agree with other posts that one way to avoid it is to take one's medicine and hit a different shot with a lower-lofted club--even if it means you can't go right at a flag (i.e. aiming around a bunker to a different part of the green). Even if it leaves you a 25-foot putt, that's better than chunking a pitch into a hazard, or blading it across the green--either way, you're still pitching/chipping and not putting.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Use a club like pw or 9i off a thin lie.

If your stuck & you need to carry something(greenside bunker is one i get stuck behind frequently) off a thin lie or divot i gouge my lw into the ground right at the back of the ball. It pops it up nice & soft. As long as you practice it,it's not a very tough shot. Distance control is not pristine, but on the green & putting is still alright.
I play it back in my stance a bit & favor my left for weight.

Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions. Looks like plenty of practice and some tweaking to be done.

I do make some of these but as we know, they can be catastrophic when you don't and I wanted to get the percentage of flubs down, as it was too high.

Two weeks ago I was faced with two in a row.
Longest drive of my few short years of golf, into greenside rough. Ball on a thin lie. Bladed over a tall green that's overhead and steep back to front sloping green.

Found the ball in some kind of in a sink hole resting on some leaves on the other side, which was also in a depression, all beneath feet level. That one I chopped at the back of the ball and it flew high enough to land and roll on the green. Putting rescued a bogey.

Being somewhat inexperienced I wasn't quite sure whether thin lies were regarded as easy or not. I almost thought they should be, since I've been a bit of a picker slider, with a tendency/temptation toward being a little handsy, but it sounds like that's kryptonite with a thin lie.

Now, I'm working on the thin lies in the back garden -- have plenty of bald spots in amongst grassy patches, weeds, roots and whatnot, under and near the bird feeder. Just like a real muni course!

I'll be working on using the body turn more, and hitting down more, and being less handsy, for starters. And some irons/PW where it makes sense.

Thanks again.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

You have a LW with 4* bounce, and that's about as low as they go.

Sometimes, you just need to hit a cut-punch chip shot. Open the face a little, and make sure you hit the ball first. Take a shallow chipping stroke to minimize the chance the clubhead ricochets off the ground. It should hit, check up a little, and then release with smooth, rather short roll.

Played on one course last summer, and the low-point greens had lots of tight or ball-on-the-dirt lies around the edge. It was wet, and fungus from poor fairway drainage was hurting the turf. The pro suggested this shot. Not one you'll likely sink, but it'll give you an up-and-down.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Find a wooden board, put your ball on it and practice chipping from that. If you can hit a high chip from a wooden board, you can hit it from any lie you'll face on the golf course.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Find a wooden board, put your ball on it and practice chipping from that. If you can hit a high chip from a wooden board, you can hit it from any lie you'll face on the golf course.

Best tip ever.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
I skimmed these posts.

Bounce - even on hardpan - is still your friend. The club will still glide more than ricochet like it will when you expose the leading edge.

I can hit a flop shot off hardpan by hitting the ground behind the ball.

Nearly everyone I see try to "pinch" the ball off hardpan with the leading edge first either bounces it off, sticks it in the ground (they don't realize how soft the "hard" ground is), or they catch the ball on the downstroke and really hit a hot, thin one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Important not to stop the swing after the ball, but make sure you keep the speed of the clubhead going through it. If you glide the club under the ball, but don't follow through, or got the weight too far back, so the club almost starts ascending at impact, you'll be in trouble. Weight forward and hitting down is important no matter how you try to do this.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again. Lots to work on here.

Now I'm annoyed at the rain for softening my garden's hardpan spots.
But you know what, they're still hardpan no reason not to practice.

If I can find a wooden board, I'll try that too.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Take it back low and keep it low. This was the tip of a lady pro, i think on the golf channel or for golf digets. Keep the clubhead low thruoghout. This works for me because it keeps me from trying to help the ball in the air.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There is a great Phil Mickelson clip on this topic on YouTube. And he is indeed a master of these shots. His pointers for hitting a wedge pitch from a very thin lie: 1. A very slightly open club face. 2. Ball slightly forward in stance. 3. Slight forward press. 4. Be sure to hit down on ball with hands always ahead of the club face. Some of this is a bit counter-intuitive, but it really works. From my personal experience, the most important of the points is to keep the hands ahead of the clubface. I think that is the key to avoid blading the ball. I also try to take the club back low as someone previously pointed out. I used to dread these shots. Now they are no big deal. Thank you, Phil.

I had that problem for a while. What works for me is trying to focus on "bouncing" the clubhead on the ground.

In Stan Utley's Art of the Short Game he describes this general technique for high pitch shots: Weight left, narrow stance, clubface and stance aimed at target (not open), hit just behind the ball, early release of the hinge. A lob wedge with 10-12* bounce will work fine. Club won't dig because of the bounce. This technique and others in Utley's book have helped my short game quite a bit.

For vary hard lies, you can open the clubface (it helps to have a wedge grind that gets the club closer to the ground when you open it up). Utley claims it will even work off pavement.
Driver: G15 12*    /     FW: Exotics CB1 4-wood,   a4OS 5-wood
Hybrids Hi-bore 3,4-hybrids  /   Irons: G10 5-UW TFC 129i
Wedge Vokey SM 56*   /   Putter: Karsten Anser 

Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!