IGNORED

My Swing (Incognito)

Incognito
Note: This thread is 5070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Major swing flaw...overswinging...

I just can't seem to shorten my backswing. Any tips???

from today... 7iron DTL

from last month...i have since then brought my hands back in my setup...

Any other major flaws I should be focusing on???

THANKS!!!!

ha. believe it or not, it's not even as long as mine was...just started changing it saturday now that i'm getting lessons.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

the backswing in the second video is shorter than the first. looks good to me.

07 Burner regular flex. (my dads-doing wonders with it) :D
supersteel burner steel shaft strong 3 wood
R7 draw 5 wood
Rapture 4-pw uw. Red dot. <3
56 deg sw60 deg Cg14 white steel two ball putter penta golf shoes. =D

It's because you're not grasping just how short the swing should feel. A regular length backswing will feel, literally, like you're swinging the club up to knee high. It will feel like a mini pitch, so short you won't believe your eyes when you see the video. I used to feel like I was swinging to knee high, and on the playback, I saw I was going nearly to parallel.

So, set up the camera, and try to swing the club back to knee high, then look at the playback.

It's because you're not grasping just how short the swing should feel. A regular length backswing will feel, literally, like you're swinging the club up to knee high. It will feel like a mini pitch, so short you won't believe your eyes when you see the video. I used to feel like I was swinging to knee high, and on the playback, I saw I was going nearly to parallel.

I've tried many ways to shorten my backswing. However, as most bad habits, I tend to revert to my old ways once out on the field. The main problem with shortening my backswing is the short swing tends to mess with my rythym, tempo and weight transfer. I cant seem to transfer my weight properly with a shorter swing and my hands seem to get more active. You think my lower body is opening too much on my backswing???

I've tried many ways to shorten my backswing. However, as most bad habits, I tend to revert to my old ways once out on the field.

Don't worry about any of that for now, just think knee high, and swing. You want to get your hands and arms totally subserviant, so you need to just turn your shoulders back, and through. Just turn the shoulders back till the club is knee high, then turn back so the club swings through. It will take some time to relearn the proper tempo when you make a change, that's normal. It took me a long time to get to the point where my swing didn't want to get long again, several months. Your body is going to fight it, but you need to just keep working through it.

Your backswing isn't that bad.....
you get a lot of shoulder turn, the only thing wrong is the very end where your left arm bends too much.
it's meant to bend a tiny bit but your overdoing it.

Start off hitting pitch shots (arms parallel to the ground with full wrist cock)
Then try practising shots between a pitch and your current swing. You'll have a swing just short of parallel.

edit:

Shanks I don't understand what your saying.
Go back to knee height and then what?
How is it going to help him shorten his swing?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Your backswing isn't that bad.....

Swing the club only back until it's knee high, then swing through. I guarantee if you try to do that, you will look at the video and see it's a perfect length. People who fight overswinging always feel their swing is much shorter than it is.

Swing the club only back until it's knee high. I gaurentee if you try to do that, you will look at the video and see it's a perfect length.

Just tried it.

I see what you mean. I got a 80% swing which is probably perfect. Incognito use that tip.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I've tried many ways to shorten my backswing. However, as most bad habits, I tend to revert to my old ways once out on the field.

strengthen your left hand grip and weaken your right hand grip. atm, your left hand is damn near under the club, and you're having to compensate by having a strong right grip.

strengthen your left hand grip and weaken your right hand grip. atm, your left hand is damn near under the club, and you're having to compensate by having a strong right grip.

That was my first thought also, before I even looked at the swing. It will be the hardest thing to do (changing your grip), but it will probably help in other aspects of the swing to make it more fluid. Maybe not, just a thought though.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

This is your position right before impact. Notice you have lost the angle between your left arm and club shaft by casting the club from the top of the swing. This results in weak shots that usually fly too high, not very far and rarely on target.

This is the position you want to achieve. Angle retained, lot's of lag (stored energy) to be released right at impact for a powerful shot.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

• Administrator

I still think that you can't really work on lag. He's in this position

because he has to get into that position to hit the ball. Why? His hips haven't pushed forward enough. If he added "lag" from here he might very well miss the ball. Push your hips forward more, Incognito. They're well back here. That'll help with the lag right away. The second thing - keep your right arm feeling as if it's straighter. When you feel it start to flex near the top of your backswing, stop and swing down. The golf swing is a motion, so people who cast almost always over-flex their right elbow. So, to counter that, they throw that angle away early in the downswing. So: 1) push the hips forward 2) shorten up the backswing by feeling that your right elbow doesn't really fold

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!