IGNORED

Phil Mickelson: longest hitter on tour?

RichF
Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you think the players in the NBA, NHL or NFL was born like they are today? That they didn't have to practice for years to get there? Tiger was not a big guy, true, but he has worked a lot on his body.
Since when did you have to be muscular to be an athlete?

Source: Dictionary.com
a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the players in the NBA, NHL or NFL was born like they are today?

I'm going to go with no. At birth, they were almost certainly a couple of hundred pounds lighter, untattooed and even less articulate!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm going to go with no. At birth, they were almost certainly a couple of hundred pounds lighter, untattooed and even less articulate!

Thats harsh......... lol

He's 6 '3, has a long swing and creates huge lag, you're gonna hit it far with that combination.

Phil might not even be 6' tall. I saw him from about ten feet away, and he was significantly shorter than me. I'm 6'3".

I´d say 90% of the guys on tour are not even athletes.

I'd say you're wrong. I'd be willing to bet that every PGA Tour player is in "great shape" and that many are pretty cut. And as for Tiger not being able to play basketball, that has nothing to do with his athletic ability.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

That does not look like great shape to me. The only shape I see is round. The fact is that golf is a game that requires a minimal amount of athleticism, but a great amount of hand/eye/body coordination.

I agree about the basketball comment though. I've seen plenty of college football players who look like absolute morons when you put them on the basketball court. Different skill set and different muscle groups.

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

Yeah, although this thread is going off-topic, you're 100% right.

Most guys who post on here about golf being a 'sport' and that you need to be strong/athletic, etc, are usually deluded overweight fat guys, ala your photo.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

What about the big fat guys playing defense on American Football? Only job being to run into the other team to prevent their players to get to whoever is holding the ball.

Are they not athletes?

Golf is a sport, golfers are athletes. Being an athlete is not just about physique, it's about technical skill and mind focus. Archery is a sport, but you don't need to be buffed in order to pull a string.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

What about the big fat guys playing defense on American Football? Only job being to run into the other team to prevent their players to get to whoever is holding the ball.

Draw weights can be up to 100 pounds, you'd have to be pretty strong to hold it steady.

They mightn't be huge people but they'd be pretty strong.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

275lb fat guy running & smashing into another 200-250lb+ guy at speed

vs. 275lb fat guy hitting a golf ball. No more clues.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

That does not look like great shape to me. The only shape I see is round. The fact is that golf is a game that requires a minimal amount of athleticism, but a great amount of hand/eye/body coordination.

I love how you have to default to the one really fat guy on the PGA tour, who, by the way, isn't exactly out there winning day to day, but playing on special exemptions. After him, there's John Daly, who also didn't win very much as a fat man, and one or two others, but the vast majority of the PGA tour players are in great shape.

I say, to all you guys who are bashing the tour pros, post pictures of yourselves shirtless for comparison. Hell, I'd love to be in as good of shape as Tiger or Phil are now, and I'm younger than both of them.

I love how you have to default to the one really fat guy on the PGA tour, who, by the way, isn't exactly out there winning day to day, but playing on special exemptions. After him, there's John Daly, who also didn't win very much as a fat man, and one or two others, but the vast majority of the PGA tour players are in great shape.

The "one really fat guy"...are you kidding me? Good lord man there are PLENTY of overweight middle aged guys with guts playing and making lots of money on the PGA tour. If you are so convinced otherwise and want me to post pictures I will do that for you.

And as far as posting pictures of ourselves, now THAT'S getting off topic. Not that it matters but I am 29 years old and in the best shape of my life, play multiple sports, and run 5 miles 5 times weekly along with weight lifting mixed in between. I can only speak for myself here, but I'm no hypocrite. Not saying that there is no chance that I may be a bit overweight by the time I hit middle-age, but to me when this is your profession - what you get PAID TO DO - it seems that you should take your physical conditioning a bit more seriously.

cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

275lb fat guy running & smashing into another 200-250lb+ guy at speed

Couldnt agree more. NFL lineman are REQUIRED to weigh that much in order to perform their job. They are constantly moving, pushing, blocking, running despite weighing over 300 pounds. Have you ever seen these guys after they retire? Many of them actually LOSE weight and are in my better physical condition when their career is over. Exhibit A: Mark Schlereth on ESPN - take a look at that guy now and compare it to him during his playing days with the Broncos.

Any bets on whether these other guys can hit 8 reps of 250+lbs on the bench? The man is freakishly strong, give him his due. Before the knee surgery he was especially insane; he's slowed down a bit since, but he still has freakish strength compared to almost every other golfer you can find on the PGA tour.

im calling BS on that. no way tiger does, or ever did, 8 reps at 250lbs. ill believe it when i see it.

Colin P.

Believe it. A friend of my dad's knew one of Tiger's trainers very well, and back in his prime he was throwing up 225-250 on the bench no problem. Not sure about nowadays, but he was definitely doing it a few years ago.

Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!