IGNORED

Help with driving

Note: This thread is 4921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dude... "Their."

Dude . . . really!?!? Thank you so much, I had no idea there were three of them. LOLZ

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I will say I am new to golf and not sure on how far is far to hit a golf ball. What can tell you is when I grab my 4Hybrid (Came in $109 Dunlop set from Kmart) and stand at the tee at the driving range i can hit the ball past the 250 mark. I have no reason to lie about how far I am hitting the ball. What I'm asking is how can I hit further with my drivers. If you want to sit here and tell me I'm lieing then you dont need to say anything because its already been said. If you got some tips for me on my driver, I would love to hear some tips. I found that letting up on my grip helped out, so small tips like that would be great.

Yea problem is that 250 mark, isn't even close to 250. But if your good with that club use it. If you can hit it that far with that club hitting a driver is really no different. The stick is just simply longer...

Some people I know have a completely different swing when they grab the big stick.... and that son is probably the root of your problems with the dirver. Additionally if your married and your wife is happy.... let her keep thinking that really is 12 inches. :)
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

sounds like you're all being trolled to me.

OP - you're a funny guy

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I have a range nearby where the hitting field is all (well worn) astro-turf. You can whack a putter pretty far out there if you count all the post-roll distance.

Out of all the replys, only 2 of them gave any kind of tips or help. I dont know what to tell you guys. All i can say is that if any of you ever come to the central coast california, send me a messege i would be more then happy to hit the driving range or play real golf with you. Like i said i have never played a 18 hole course but really looking foward to trying it. Out everything you guys said it just makes me think i should go back to the range and talk to some real golfers and have them check it out and see what they think. Maybe i can snap a video so then you guys can stop calling me a lier and maybe tell me somthing thats worth a damn. I ask for tip not to be called a lier. I dont know if this matters but im 6 foot 275 pounds. I played football my whole life and im going into my 5th year of semi pro ball. Maybe my size has somthing to do with the reason i can hit so far. I dont know. I dident even know 300 was a far distance to hit. I have no idea how far Tiger and Phil can hit it. And what if i can hit it 300 with my 4h? So what! that dont make me a good golfer. It just means maybe its time to start working on my short game i guess. Cause lord know my shrt game can use alot of work.

So if you are ever in the area or want me to come out to you, im down to play. I just found this game and so far i love it. Or you can sit here and say what you want, cause it dont bother me. Theres nothing you guys can say or names you can call me that i havent heard before on the field by guys bigger stronger meaner then all u put together.

Attack

MOJO

First Hole in one June 2, 2010

Out of all the replys, only 2 of them gave any kind of tips or help. I dont know what to tell you guys. All i can say is that if any of you ever come to the central coast california, send me a messege i would be more then happy to hit the driving range or play real golf with you. Like i said i have never played a 18 hole course but really looking foward to trying it. Out everything you guys said it just makes me think i should go back to the range and talk to some real golfers and have them check it out and see what they think. Maybe i can snap a video so then you guys can stop calling me a lier and maybe tell me somthing thats worth a damn. I ask for tip not to be called a lier. I dont know if this matters but im 6 foot 275 pounds. I played football my whole life and im going into my 5th year of semi pro ball. Maybe my size has somthing to do with the reason i can hit so far. I dont know. I dident even know 300 was a far distance to hit. I have no idea how far Tiger and Phil can hit it. And what if i can hit it 300 with my 4h? So what! that dont make me a good golfer. It just means maybe its time to start working on my short game i guess. Cause lord know my shrt game can use alot of work.

LOL. god it just doesnt stop

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

So, I'm driving to work this morning, thinking about your driving problem, and I was going to type up some tips once I got to work, but it's pretty busy here this morning (see below). I'll send you a PM with some swingthoughts.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It's just that its a little hard to believe. If you are hitting your 4h that far, that means you have to hit it about as pure and you can, not to mention have some ungodly swing speed. With that kind of swing speed, you should be able to hit a driver farther than 150 yards, even with a wicked slice. And I'm pretty sure Tiger and Phil don't hit thier 4h that far. Now for a tip. A slice to me means one of two things. Your cutting across the ball or your club face is open at contact or a combo of both which is worse yet. When you go to the range, start with nice easy swings. You would be suprised how far the ball will go with a 50% swing as long as you are hitting it in the sweet spot. From there build up your speed as you are getting more comfortable. When I start out with my driver on the range I always try to hit it 200 yards to get a good feel and warm up. Good luck!

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

Personally, I don't think anyone here is calling you a liar. That is, many of us (at least) believe that you believe you're hitting the 4h 300 yards.

However, many of also know that the physics of what you claim are essentially impossible.

Consider, if this was a track & field forum instead of golf. And someone came on the board and give 100m times near - - or better than - - Usain Bolt. Would you believe the poster?? Doesn't necessarily mean he was lying - - but it sure would otherwise mean that his stop watch was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

Public ranges are notorious for having wrong distance markers - - and/or unusual conditions (very hard surfaces where the ball rolls to unusual distances).

You can trust the membership here: You are not hitting the 4h 300 yards.

It's just that its a little hard to believe. If you are hitting your 4h that far, that means you have to hit it about as pure and you can, not to mention have some ungodly swing speed. With that kind of swing speed, you should be able to hit a driver farther than 150 yards, even with a wicked slice. And I'm pretty sure Tiger and Phil don't hit thier 4h that far. Now for a tip. A slice to me means one of two things. Your cutting across the ball or your club face is open at contact or a combo of both which is worse yet. When you go to the range, start with nice easy swings. You would be suprised how far the ball will go with a 50% swing as long as you are hitting it in the sweet spot. From there build up your speed as you are getting more comfortable. When I start out with my driver on the range I always try to hit it 200 yards to get a good feel and warm up. Good luck!

Thank you! Now I think i am slicing across the ball which is causing my slice. What i dont get is that the 4h has a smaller head so why is it that i can hit it right but not my drivers. I can hit my drivers 250-300 but thats going to have quite a bit of slice. I dont do it to much because they slice causes my ball to go on the course. I think your right. I need to slow down and build up my speed more. I will try this out next time im out. thanks for the legitimate tip!!

Attack

MOJO

First Hole in one June 2, 2010

Dude, you're the same size as me. I was larger than you a few months ago, now I'm a bit smaller. I have a friend who is a pro golfer who was in the NFL, and he's bigger and stronger than me, and he can't even hit a driver 300. Quit the BS.

Guys.
Shut up about the 4h.
He got the distances wrong.
Get over it.

What I do with the driver is use all shoulder turn.
I keep my legs pretty planted and just keep turning the shoulders and whip through the ball. The driver is the most consistent club in the bag right now.
If your flexible this might help.

edit:
Just read the rest of the thread, Hanson your just digging a pretty deep hole for yourself.
Stop trying to justify a 300 yard 4H, it won't happen.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• 2 months later...

I just recently improved my driving....

For the last few weeks I've been all over the place with my driver and even long irons with a lot off pulls and hard fade / slices... For a while my Handicap got worse by like 7 strokes I was like WTH???

Put myself on camera (Casio HS) making some swings at balls on the range. Some of my old bad habits crept back in because I've been playing a lot more than practicing.

So over the last 4 weeks my driving stats over 10 rounds were:
12% left, 55% FIR, 30% right, 3% long (A couple course I play at the fairway runs out at 250)

From some video study of about 10 swings I picked up some key points:
1) My left foot was coming up too high on the back swing... As I shifted my weight back onto the left foot it would shift in about 3 inches helping my accuracy decrease.
2) I was overturning my back during the backswing and taking the club further back than necessary. I'm not sure about others but I want my back to face the target perfectly at the top of my backswing. It was aiming right of it about 5 - 10 degrees and pulling my head a little out of position.
3) Something I noticed with my mid and short irons was my divots were aiming well left of the target. I was hitting nice fade shots... but really there was a problem in my swing that when I put the driver in my hand accounted for those high percentages of fairways missed right.... The video showed me that as the left foot would shift from coming up to high my hip turn would go behind me and not towards the target.

I took it to heart and installed 3 quick fixes... all in about 20 mins on the practice range.
1) I focused on using my right leg / right foot - specifically the ball area of my right foot to constantly keep noticable pressure towards my left side... I consider this preloading the left side from the right but that is purely my term. It heldped keep my left foot down and planted in the same spot. Ok that fixed item 1 and most of 3.
2) I practiced a shorter backswing... that equated to my back facing the target... This eliminated my head shift... Ball striking improved immediately.
3) Now that my left foot is not shifting because my right foot and flexed right knee is transfering the weight at the proper time... I now perform the hip turn correctly.... This was so important I want to define it a little more below:
During my backswing, my right knee and foot cause my right butt cheek to rotate towards the target but not push back over my heel. As I undwind my hips on the downswing, I pivot the left cheek back to parallel with the target line and then the right cheek comes off towards the target....
Heres a video on YouTube of someone executing it properly.

My divots are now straight, my ball flight is much straighter... oh and over the last two rounds 100% FIR 230 - 250 average driving distance.

ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

How do you hit a 4h 300 yards?

I have to open the face WAY up and come in really steep. It's basically a flop shot for me.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 2 months later...

Firstly congratulations on taking the game up, it's a cracking sport... welcome to the addiction.

Fixing your slice:
As for your driving issues, you can spend your money on clubs, or lessons. Clubs may help a little, but lessons will help a lot, especially when you are first starting! Your driving/slicing conundrum indicates lessons may help you more than a new club also.

Alternatively, you can film your swing and post it in the forums here and people can give you advice: http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Hybrid & Club Distances:
The pga tour average for a hybrid is 225 yards carry, 237 total.
ref: http://www.mytrackman.com/TrackMan.O...GANumbers.html

All the forum members are trying to say here is that as a beginner, it is not likely that you are hitting the ball consistently well and 10-27% further than the PGA tour professionals, so please don't be offended.

Other:
Finally, a very obvious point. Golf is about precision and not just distance. So why are you trying to use the same club you hit 250-300 yards, to hit a 165 yard shot? Your distances you hit each club are unique to you, and the conditions on the course, but take a look at the following just to get an idea: http://golf.about.com/od/beginners/l/blclubdistance.htm

Hope that helped... oh and if you're a troll "few cough" ...

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

I don't think he's a troll I just think he's the victim of inaccurate range markers and lack of information.
Slices are caused 99% of the time by anout to in swing path. The club face determines the path the ball STARTS on. Swing PATH controls the spin and ball flight. TRy pushing your forward shoulder UP more than swinging it open and see if if that helps. Same with the hips. Dont swing them open too soon.
You can hit a hybrid further than a driver IF you come in steep with it and the effective loft when it reaches the ball goes from say 20* to 12 or 15*. If thats possible to come in that steep I dont now. What you should try to do is come in just as steep with your driver and see if you cant get your drives to get out longer.
A driver will spin (slice, hook, draw, fade) more than any other club in the bag because there is less backspin due to loft so the energy can get trasferred into sidespin a lot more easily.
If you can hit your 4H 200+ yards straight then if you do play a real course leave the driver at home for now. There's no need for it. ANtyhing 200 yards plus with accuracy is excellent. Size has nothing to do with swing either. My friends 5'5 and 145 and he crushes the ball average 250-256 with his driver when he really swings away. It's more technique than mass.
The hole in one thing in your first month. Man. I dunno. I guess anything is possible.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!