IGNORED

Why'd you choose the clubs you play?

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Simple. Fit.

My driver was bought some years ago, when I was a high handicap. It was a brand I knew and trusted, and I liked it. Bought it. It's been tweaked extensively, so it now plays at 44" with a True Temper EI-70 Shaft, cut down to X stiff. Total cost, about $150.

My 3 wood was on sale for $80, along with a lot of last year's models. I tried a few, and liked it the best.

My 5 wood/2 iron/2 hybrid slot is occupied by a lot of different clubs. I'm planning to just get the matching Pro Combo 2 iron though.

My irons were cheap, $140, bendable, and had just enough forgiveness to last me a while. While it's true I may need blades, I'd rather hit it too high than lack the forgiveness out on the course. I work on knockdown shots to make sure I can flight them low enough.

My wedges were based on preference. The CG12 was $60, and it's great. The 588 was $20, and it will be replaced with a CG12 soon, as the grooves are just gone.

My putter was my father's, and I learned to putt with it. No big surprise, I never question it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a beginner, and wanted something to learn the game on that offered a lot of forgiveness without breaking the bank. When I'm ready to upgrade I'll move on to the Titliest DCI 990's I inherited from Dad when he passed away. Dad won them at tournament with a free fitting. I'm practically his clone.

I got my Driver because the Cobra SZ I was playing on was illegal, plus it was Xtra Stiff and 9.5* loft. Nickent is the bomb, Square Driver are more forgiving for beginners, Regualr flex, and higher loft is a winner for me. I love my Driver, (even though it's not very versatile on the course) I don't imagine I'll replace for a long time.

Hit the 3h farther, longer, and straighter than I ever did my 3wd or 5wd. It was on sale. Regular flex. Bingo...

I also just upgraded my entire set of clubs from back in 2000 when I use to play.

in the past month I switched my ;
Great big bertha driver to Callaway FT-5
Titleist 975f 3 wood to Callaway X 08 3 wood
Tommy Armour 845s oversized irons to Titleist AP2 irons
cleveland 588 gunmetal to Ping tour w sandwedge
wilson 8802 putter to Ping karsten anser
Ping hoover bag (old 2000 version) to Titleist lightweight cart bag.

next on the list is a 3 iron hybrid then another wedge

I had played 16 years with the original TA 845s and loved everything about them but felt it was time to upgrade. I had always wanted to have play blades but never liked the 3-5 irons. I found the Titleist 735 cm model which have are blades 8-p, mild cavity 5-7, and moderate cavity 3-4. They set up great, have the s300 shaft, are somewhat forgiving (I mean you have to put a decent swing on the ball), are workable (left, right, high, low...), and as a bonus they are forged. I have never regretted that decision.

I bought the Vokey wedges after reading the reviews and upgraded from the 588s which were tour standards for most of the 90s. Again, I had to like the set-up and lines and of course the playability.

My putter is an oldie but a goodie. I was teaching golf camp 15 years ago and found the Rossie 2 and I made everything on the putting green. I have tried other putters but always come back to it.

My current woods are Callaways and I liked my friends driver and hit it well so I bought the same model. I went to the store and tried the 3 wood and used the launch monitor. After playing a Taylor Made Burner Tourspoon forever, I found the X to be to my liking.

The hybrid was a total impulse after reading about it online. It has replaced the 2 iron, although there are days when I think that there is no better feeling than nailing a 2 iron down the fairway or into a par 5. The real value of the hybrid is that unlike the 2 iron you can hit it out of the rough or off a side hill or whatever.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

For me being a new player in the game, I did alot of trial and error with all my clubs except for the wedges...

Driver - Older model but got it new for $99 and it hits awesome....I wanted a stiff shaft but the shop ran out...

3wood - bought from a member of Sandtrap...VERY nice club! After testing it at GolfGalaxy, I had to buy it...

Hybrid - Got it from Dunhams sport for a steal price with a VERY nice shaft. As soon as I saw it for the price it was coming with me... :)

Irons - Wasn't too fond of the look but found it on Craigslist for a STEAL. The set has never seen a course. The person had back surgery and the Doc told him to quit the game...His lost, my gain!

Wedges - co-workers old set...He upgraded to Vokeys and gave up the TMs to me for free....

Putter - Perfect fit for my budget and the feel is very good...its an Odyssey... :)

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

For me being a new player in the game, I did alot of trial and error with all my clubs except for the wedges...

An "upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder - you scored some great wedges.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

An "upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder - you scored some great wedges.

^^^ I did and I love them...I use those two wedges ALL the time...

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

Interesting thread.

Driver, 3w and 5w - looking for some new woods, did some research and didn't want to pay top dollar for OEM stuff when my Geeks are just as good! Shafts were my own picks based on a lot of research and having used them before (3w/5w). Liked the info I saw on the EnZo shafts and they spined it FoC without me asking.

3i-PW - Always rated MacGregor; they made some awesome irons in the past. Picked up the current set for under $100 online (bargain!) and the only head with any bag chatter was the PW; almost pristine. No regrets as they play beautifully and feel ssmooooth. Also, have always gone for a 'traditional' look in all my gear and liked the way they set up.

GW+SW - Like the shape, primarily, of the Vokeys. Didn't want the gimmicky spin-milled versions as I like my balls(!) to last more than 3 holes....

Putter - Held out against a Scotty for ages (too expensive, over-rated etc etc) and then tried one our local pro was messing around with on the putting green. Unfortunately, couldn't miss so had to have it! Shame I couldn't keep up the accuracy but it's still the best I've had in a long while.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Towards the end of '08, I decided to invest more into my game. I wanted to play more often than the 3-5 times per year average that I had been doing for the past 15 years. I went through an iron and wood fitting at a local golf shop to better understand what was out there that I liked. I liked the Mizuno MX-25's, and found my MX-23's on eBay for a steal ($170 for 3-PW).

Driver and 3-Wood were picked based on the fitting as well (Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS), but I bought the driver Tour version instead, and never really got into it (it's still for sale, BTW). I've had an on again off again affair with the 3W, and lately it's been on again, so it's staying in the bag. I also bought a Titleist 906F4 on the cheap after hitting my buddies' very well for three rounds.

Wedges were bought based on my positive experience with the Mizuno irons (graphite Gap Wedge was purchased versus iron because it was only $40 brand new).

Putter was a trade-in for a Callaway wedge won at a golf outing. I like the weight, plumber's neck, alignment, and feel. Now if it only would translate on the greens...

Driver - impulse buy at Dick's. It was only $150 and I wanted a big driver before I went to play golf with my brothers-in-law. If I could do it again I wouldn't have bought it.

Hybrids - Great deal on Nickents when they went out of business. I like them a lot and hit them pretty well.

Irons/Wedges - I was tired of my no-name irons even though they were ok. I did lots of research and found out Paddy Harrington won the US Open using these, they were very well-received in reviews, and the shafts are longer than average (I am 6'2). Got a great deal on them on eBay.

Putter - A birthday present, another great eBay deal. I picked it after trying a bunch of putters out in a local shop. I like the ball alignment aid and the sound the ball makes hitting the C grooves.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Driver--Used a friend's TM Burner and noticed significant distance increase
Nickent 2H--I hit hybrids well and it's more consistent than my 3W
Adams A2s--they were on sale for $199 for 3H-PW (this was when the A4s were just released and the stores were trying to get rid of the A2s)
MacGregor 9i,PW,GW,SW--I like forged clubs in my short irons and really like MacGregor's feel and price.
Watson LW--cheap
Ping Anser Belly Putter--given to me by golfing buddy--I've been putting really well with it.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Driver - My buddy plays college golf and told me, the best Drivers out there are Taylormade. Don't know if that's true, but I figured he would know better than me so I picked one up.

Irons - Found them new on ebay over Christmas for $100. Read good reviews and needed a new set of irons anyway.

Putter - It was my grandfather's and thus has sentimental value to me. Plus, it is a really great putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My set is put together over time, has taken me to some high level events, and some are even the results of recommendations from friends who've played on tour.

Driver: Titleist 975J - Fit for me by the Titleist Tour Van on a range using ProV1's and a launch monitor. This was in 2002, long before everyone and their dog had access to one and to see the changes in ball flight on the range as I progressed through the process was really cool.

3 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha S2H2 3 Wood (original 1991) - These were in tour players bags up until about 2006 when Callaway re-introduced them. Bought a used one after a long search on the recommendation of a friend of mine who played on tour. Love it, Love it, Love it

2 Iron: Mizuno MP-33, Mizuno Fli-Hi 18*, Callaway X-14 Pro Series (I seldom hit the MP-33, with the Fli-Hi and X-14 rotating in and out of my bag as I see fit)

Irons 3-PW: Mizuno MP-33 - In my opinion, the finest Forged MB irons ever made. Perfect in looks, and feel, and playablilty. I have 2 matching sets, fit for me by a Mizuno fitting professional at a local golf course. (FTR, I am considering switching, but my new clubs will be custom fit at a Titleist Regional Fitting Center)

Wedges: Cleveland 900 Tour Action - I've always been a Cleveland guy, these wedges fit my game and type of play perfectly. They're worn out now, just humming and hawing between getting some regular or approved for competition wedges. My next wedges will be Vokey as Cleveland no longer has the loft/bounce angles I'm looking for.

Putter: Ping Anser II BeCu - I've had this putter for 15 years, and unless I can get an exact clone in a Scotty Cameron... it will be in my bag for many years to come.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I chose my R9 Super Tri because I wanted the adjustability and I hit it better than all other drivers I tested. I also think it's the best looking driver on the market.

I chose my Diablo Edge irons because I hit them better than anything else I tested. At this stage in my golfing life I don't "work" the ball so I needed max forgiveness. I know I'm in the minority, but I like the way they look too. I planned on getting the Burner '09 or G15 iron sets, but I just hit these better.

I chose my wedges because Cleveland wedges are the best in my opinion. No, I'm kidding. I've never hit Vokeys, but I do love my Cleveland Wedges.

I got my 3 wood because I really like the entire G15 line and almost bought the G15 driver and irons. I thought about getting the R9 3 wood, but didn't hit it as well and adjustability on a 3 wood seems like overkill for me.

My Cleveland launcher hybrid came free with a driver I used to have... I liked it so I kept it when I traded in the driver.

My putter just works! I swore I wouldn't get a full mallet style putter and was in the market for a mid-mallet. Again, I just keep sinking putts with the Sabertooth and it had the most consistent feel and weighting for me.

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

Driver - I got a really good deal on it, heard it was good and liked the idea of the i-Mix so I bought it. I have never been fitted for a shaft so I bought the Fubuki just because I heard it was the next best thing. Currently I like the combination I have, and I have tried other drivers and haven't been able to find anything that was better. I have fitting with the Callaway van next week so I will be looking at a couple of different shafts to see which one is really the best for me.

Woods / hybrid (Callaway) - I bought both of these because they were on sale and I got this thing in my head that I wanted all the same clubs in my bag. I have since gone back to my nickent hybrid.

Irons - I have been playing Callaway irons for about 7 years now. I had the X-18's before I bought the tours. My game was really starting to come around and I thought it would be better to have an iron that wasn't as offset and a little more workable. X-tours are perfect, I have been looking for another set to have when these get too old and used.

Wedges - The JAWS wedge was bought on a whim. I like the idea, and I am glad I bought it mainly due to the spin that it provides. I can hit some low running two hops and stops now, which I really like from close in. The vintage I bought after owning Vokeys, which some people find surprising. I loved the look of them and that they were not as heavy.

Putter - Love Scotty and love the lagunas. nuff said.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Well, my reason's pretty simple. I wanted to join the golf team in high school, with no prior experience... picked up a beginner set that happened to be the Northwestern clubs. Needless to say, since I didn't use them a whole lot in the first place (complete with not playing for a few years afterward), I still have them now.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!