IGNORED

The LPGA is sloppy...

SVTGolfer
Note: This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think golf minds the sloppy dress as much as it minds slow play and people who show zero consideration for the other players on the course. I'll ask it next time we get a chance to talk.

While we're at it, what happened to the tradition of wearing suits when flying? The lack of respect is outrageous!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy fak "Shades9323" I didnt realize my answers were so important to you. I guess I have to be more specific for you since you have trouble reading what ive written already... Which basically answered all your questions and more...

1) Do you feel as they are personally disrespecting you? No .
2) Please explain how wearing jeans and flip flops is disrespecting a piece of earth. Its not about disrespecting the earth (which is were you sarcastically take it out of context) its about being disrespectful to the golf course that people work all day to keep neat and clean, why cant "the golfer" do the same??? This is also no more different than you going to dinner at a conservative/traditional Japanese home and knowing that they remove their shoes before coming inside, you decide not to because you feel more comfortable in your sneakers.
3) Furthermore, please explain how dressing like that "hurts" the GAME. It hurts the game because it shows a lack of respect for the traditions of the game, and the professional nature of which the game is related to. It hurts the game no more than if you were to go to a professional business meeting in your t-shirt rather than a suit... or does it hurt that? Hmmm...

4) Explain how you wearing slacks and a polo shirt is "helping" the GAME. Because it keeps the game classy, it keeps the course classy, and it keeps the outlook of golf professional, just as it has been for years and years.

5) At least you aren't denying you are a hypocrite... (that was a pretty ignorant statement btw) Please, why dont you enlighten me as to why I am a hypocrite...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Holy fak "Shades9323" I didnt realize my answers were so important to you. I guess I have to be more specific for you since you have trouble reading what ive written already... Which basically answered all your questions and more...

I did't know that flip flops made a golf course dirty and unkempt. So, only golf shoes are "clean"? Good to know. And your example is quite different.

3)

The tradition of the game is to ACT in a professional manner. Do you think wearing a baseball cap is professional? You still haven't explained how it hurts or harms the game. Will there be less golfers because I wear flip flops on the course? Does wearing jeans set back club and course design? Do you have any tangible evidence to support your claim?

4)

So keeping things "classy" helps the game? Does the classiness bring more players to the game? I don't any players that took up the game just so they can look classy in their pants and polo shirts. Are baseball caps classy?

5)

If you were really following the tradition of dress you would be wearing a kilt. Or atleast knickers with a button down shirt and tie. Your dress is no more traditional than flip flops and cargo shorts.

I did't know that flip flops made a golf course dirty and unkempt. So, only golf shoes are "clean"? Good to know. And your example is quite different.

Gotta disagree. Almost anything is more traditional than flip flops. Not only do I feel that they don't belong on a golf course, but WHY would you want to wear them to play????? No way you can swing a club consistently without a stable foundation, and for most players that means at least a decent pair of sneakers. Even the cheapest golf shoes would be better than your flip flops. And there are very different styles of cargo shorts. The ones most teens wear are terribly sloppy. You don't have to dress like a pro to look like you belong on a golf course, but you don't have to look like a slob either. I have cargo shorts which, except for the extra pockets can't be told apart from regular golf shorts. The wrinkled, baggy, hanging down to mid calf ones may look appropriate at a skateboard park, but they just scream "Out of place!" on the golf course.

Regardless of my support of certain more modern styles of dress, I still draw a line at deliberately being slovenly. Show some pride in your appearance, even if you're wearing jeans. Pull your shorts up to your hips and put on a belt to hold them there. The ghetto look just doesn't cut it. And leave the flip flops in the shower where they belong.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i was hoping this would be a thread about the sloppy short game play on the LPGA...

Or . . . . . .

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Gotta disagree. Almost anything is more traditional than flip flops. Not only do I feel that they don't belong on a golf course, but WHY would you want to wear them to play????? No way you can swing a club consistently without a stable foundation, and for most players that means at least a decent pair of sneakers. Even the cheapest golf shoes would be better than your flip flops. And there are very different styles of cargo shorts. The ones most teens wear are terribly sloppy. You don't have to dress like a pro to look like you belong on a golf course, but you don't have to look like a slob either. I have cargo shorts which, except for the extra pockets can't be told apart from regular golf shorts. The wrinkled, baggy, hanging down to mid calf ones may look appropriate at a skateboard park, but they just scream "Out of place!" on the golf course.

I don't actually wear flip flops or cargo shorts when I play. I was just trying to make a point that they do not "disrespect" and "harm" the game. Flip flops may harm your game, but not the game.

Flip flops are not just for the shower. I am thinking about trying these out for trail running and GASP! the golf course.

I don't actually wear flip flops or cargo shorts when I play. I was just trying to make a point that they do not "disrespect" and "harm" the game. Flip flops may harm your game, but not the game.

Cargo shorts, and those sasquatch feet you posted, may not harm your game, but is that really the point of this thread? There are women on the LPGA tour who are representing their profession, who are wearing clothing that wouldn't be allowed at many courses. Whether or not you feel it "disrespects" the game (whatever the heck that means) it seems weird. Backwards even.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Cargo shorts, and those sasquatch feet you posted, may not harm your game, but is that really the point of this thread? There are women on the LPGA tour who are representing their profession, who are wearing clothing that wouldn't be allowed at many courses. Whether or not you feel it "disrespects" the game (whatever the heck that means) it seems weird. Backwards even.

I don't feel it disrespects the game. That is the SVT fellow(I miss my lightning).

They are, however, wearing clothing that is within the dress code of their profession.

I don't feel it disrespects the game. That is the SVT fellow(I miss my lightning).

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Some LPGA players look like cows through no fault of their own - unfortunate genetics - some players just look trashy. It's my opinion.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Some LPGA players look like cows through no fault of their own - unfortunate genetics - some players just look trashy. It's my opinion.

What are we(sean miller & shades9323) disagreeing about?

It is a sad thing when people have nothing other to do but attack female golfers for not all looking like Jan Stevenson, and the guys for not being a Brad Pitt.

Get a grip.

It is a sad thing when people have nothing other to do but attack female golfers for not all looking like Jan Stevenson, and the guys for not being a Brad Pitt.

Who did what now?

Happy Gilmore wore hockey jerseys to his games. :P

On a different note, tennis is a very "respectable" game and both sexes where collared and non-collared shirts. They also wear sleeveless shirts. They wear dress shorts and sports shorts. Some also have crazy outfits and colors.

Peeking out of my Ascent stand bag

Hyper X 10*
3, 5, 7 X Fairway Woods
MP-57 4-PW MP-T10 56*-10 White Hot #1

Good God! I give up! Its like talking to a third grader... "I know you are but what am I?"

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I wonder how many clubs that maintain the same shirt rule for both women and men have all men writing the dress codes. My club the ladies have exceptions for V necks and fitted sleveless shirts and such.

I know I'm hot enough out there in a polo at 90-104 degrees, couldn't imagine being my wife in a sports bra with boobs added to the mix not having the option to wear something a little cooler than me. As anyone who's coached a postpubescent lady in anything athletic can tell you, they are built different and they function different. Let them wear what suits them.

In the book Who's Your Caddy, the author caddied for one of the ladies on the LPGA tour. He said their fashion talk is one of the biggest things for the early week range sessions. They also get those skirts in and then hem them up higher to increase viewership. More viewers, more sponsors, more money, more golf for them.

I feel it takes a pretty shallow thought of the game to think that someones dress is disrespecting it. It may be disrespecting your personal taste (your problem not theirs), a person may be disrespecting the dress code at your club thus shouldn't be playing there in violation of local code, but the game is much older than all of that and was not rooted in dress. You think the shepards and such that are at the root of this game in a part of the world where the average high temps are about the 70s really cared what their partners were wearing? I bet some bad days one of them was half covered in sheep dung by the end of a round. Let's not forget this game didn't head towards the "elite upper class" until it was made legal again in England and then the featheries, which didn't last but a couple holes, cost more than clubs to play. If you want to look at old Americana pictures of golfers bear in mind the style of dress for everyone of the era, everyone that wasn't a hobo or the lowest rungs of society (thus had no time for pursuits like golf as they were all consumed with getting enough to eat) wore jackets and such everywhere.

Is golf a game of honor or not? How honorable is it to look down on someones dress instead of their actions on the course. In the theory of handicapping being an equalizer to allow players of different levels to compete. How equitable is a thought process that wishes to exclude a person not for violating rules but because of appearence? A club creating exclusivity is their perogative, but that's not about golf that's about money. Just like black tie restaurants, keep out the "riff raff" and charge more for atmosphere but it's still chowing down whether you do it there or Taco Bell.

I wonder how many clubs that maintain the same shirt rule for both women and men have all men writing the dress codes. My club the ladies have exceptions for V necks and fitted sleveless shirts and such.

+1 Good thoughts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You would be a hypocrit because you don't honor the traditions of the game either, traditionally the game was played with actual woods and blades with a ball that spins like a top. You don't even dress like a "traditional" golfer. And your "classy" argument, would you actually wear your golf clothes to a classy place with a dress code? You may but you most certainly would not be allowed in. People and clubs are sheep and go by what the PGA tour allow, which is fine, but you can't berate a tour because they have a different dress code that doesn't suit the "traditions", or somehow disrespects, the game because by your own definition you and the PGA tour do the same thing!

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

Note: This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!