IGNORED

Sandtrap help from TheSandTrap.com!!!!!1

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having serious problems in the sand. I maybe make 1 shot per 18 from the sand, but was practicing today and it was ugly.

I've been following the advice of Mickelson and his instructional DVD but I can't seem to get a good hold of the ball from the sand. It seems like I keep chunking it and the ball goes 5 feet, even with a pretty good swing.

I am a good chipper and have great control, and I feel like I'm doing the same swing in the sand, I just can't figure it out!

Any tips?

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

If your chunking it, you probably haven't opened the clubface enough. It should look like the face is almost horizontal. Then, make sure you play the ball forward in your stance, almost off your forward heel. Open your stance about 15 degrees to offset the opening of the clubface, and swing along your stance line. Keep your weight on your front foot throughout the swing. Aim for a point in the sand about 2 to 4" behind the ball. Just try to skim the club under the ball, so that you hit the sand (and consequently, the ball) onto the green.

It will take some practice to develop the "thump" that signifies a good bunker shot, but do the above, and you should be on your way. Good luck.

If your chunking it, you probably haven't opened the clubface enough. It should look like the face is almost horizontal. Then, make sure you play the ball forward in your stance, almost off your forward heel. Open your stance about 15 degrees to offset the opening of the clubface, and swing along your stance line. Keep your weight on your front foot throughout the swing. Aim for a point in the sand about 2 to 4" behind the ball. Just try to skim the club under the ball, so that you hit the sand (and consequently, the ball) onto the green.

Sadly I was doing all of the above! Ball foward, club plenty open, stance adjusted, weight forward. BLAH.

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*

Sadly I was doing all of the above! Ball foward, club plenty open, stance adjusted, weight forward. BLAH.

This might be terrible advice according to some people...but I really feel like I am releasing the club early (i.e. flipping) on sand shots, and have had excellent results all season. This is the only shot I try to get wristy or flippy with, but I can't believe how solid I've been out of bunkers lately. I just pick out a pebble 2 inches behind the ball and flip away. I do keep my weight forward, but I can get out of bunkers with an open or square clubface, depending on the type of shot I want to play.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Other possibilities to the OP:
You may just not be swinging hard enough, and/or are decelerating before impact. Mentally i still find it hard to convince myself to swing through the ball when i can see the flagstick 20 feet away, and/or i have subconscious images of the few times i've accidentally picked the ball clean and sent a greenside bunker shot 60 yards.

Equipment can make a difference, esp if you play out of pretty fine sand, then more bounce might help, as lower bounce clubs tend to dig/chunk more (although by your signature your wedges don't seem "low bounce").

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Had ONE shot from a bunker in my round today. I needed it to fly about 10 feet and roll 5-7. What did it do? Went about 2 feet to the top lip of the bunker. More practice I guess!

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*

Had ONE shot from a bunker in my round today. I needed it to fly about 10 feet and roll 5-7. What did it do? Went about 2 feet to the top lip of the bunker. More practice I guess!

On that shot, how far behind the ball did you enter the sand? Did the leading edge dig into the sand, rather than the bounce of the club? It sounds to me like you are hitting down into the sand, rather than skimming along the surface just under the ball. Some say to imagine your ball sitting on a dollar bill, on George Washington's face. Then just try to hit the imaginary dollar bill onto the green. Others say to imagine your ball sitting on top of a tee buried in the sand. Then try to clip the tee under the ball. But remember the leading edge can't dig into the sand. That will cause a chunk every time. Good Luck.

Keep the lower body quiet in the bunkers,

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• Administrator
Three tips for the bunker:

1) wide stance with your weight forward
2) low hands to expose more bounce
3) SPEED

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!