IGNORED

Thoughts on Sun Mountain golf bags?

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to change golf bags. I want a stand bag that ALSO has 14 individual slots for clubs. Looking around, I don't have many options.

I did see some from Sun Mountain that fit the bill.

My concern? Although SM have a great reputation and I own a push cart from them that's AMAZING, I felt like the construction of the bags wasn't very good. I wasn't sure if it was due to the lightness of everything or what...but they didn't look that well-made. Now, my wife is a fashion designer who can tell the craftsmanship of such things so I'll have to go back with her (somewhat funny to need to consult my wife on a piece of golf equipment considering she doesn't play!) but I wanted to go to the site for advice.

Those of you that have Sun Mountain bags, how durable are they? Do you like them? Also, how good are the stands (the stands on my Ogio bag are shite!)? Would you buy another one? Etc.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I've got the Sun Mountain SCB Deluxe Cart bag and it is put together very well. It has been very durable for the 30+ rounds and numerous ranges sessions I've done since January.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking to change golf bags. I want a stand bag that ALSO has 14 individual slots for clubs. Looking around, I don't have many options.

You're joking, right?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My SunMountain bag in sig-line is from circa 1999. It's so old, it doesn't even have an identifiable model name.

A durable bag, but the stand legs are somewhat primitive. I wish the club-storage slot area was a wider in diameter - after a few holes, there's always a couple of clubs that don't quite fit.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

You're joking, right?

Nope. Asking a question. The bag model I looked at didn't seem that well-constructed on first glance. So, I went online to gauge opinions. Reading the OP, one would clearly understand this. I realize that SM stuff is higly-regarded, thus the qualifications in the OP. Hell - I OWN a pushcart by them that I love.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I've had 3 different Sun Mountain bags over the years, and I don't think they can be beat, very innovative, durable and functional. I currently own a MPB, it allows me to carry in to the range in the winter and sits on my push cart very well in the summer. I would definately buy another one without question

I love my 3.5!

Srixon Z-RW 8.5* Matrix XCON 6
Callaway Steelhead Plus 15* Rifle 7.0
Cleveland Halo Hybrid 19*
MacGrecor Pro-C Forged 3-PW Rife 6.5
Cleveland Wedges 53* 58*YES! Tracy

The Four-5 I got this season is by far the best bag I've owned in ~30 years. Can't give info on durability as it's not that old but everything (and I mean everything) else about it is great.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I bought a Sun Mountain stand bag in 1989 when I first started playing golf. It took a helluva beating from me, as I played at least three rounds a week back in those days and walked the course. Although it got pretty ratty looking after a few years, it functioned fine up until the day it was stolen from my car in 1995. Back at the time I bought it Sun Mountain was the only game in town if you wanted a good stand bag. Now the market's pretty competitive and there are lots of manufacturers who make stand bags are as good or better than SM.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

. . . there are lots of manufacturers who make stand bags are as good or better than SM.

What Sun Mountain did you have? I had an older Orbit that was good at the time (bought it second hand and put another 10+ years on it), then picked up a new one in 1996 that I just replaced this spring (I still use the '96 version).

Functionality and qualitywise, I'd say there are a couple other manufacturers that are very close to Sun Mountain, and when you factor in that most of them are bit less expensive than SM, they might even be a better value. I really tried to go another route, based mostly on cost, but in the end there was always one feature or another that didn't make sense (to me - like dividers set up for a crapload of woods and hybrids) or the legs, straps or balance seemed a bit off - in the end it's totally personal.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It was an Orbit. Couldn't remember the model name until you jogged my memory. Thanks.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

The Sun Mountain Four-5 is a solid bag. I carried it all last season and am using in on a Sun Mountain Micro cart this year. My only complaint was the bag is not as stable as my old Sun Mountain - a good gust of wind will knock it over and you have to make sure the legs are splayed out down the fall line of a hill. A search of the forum will give you more opinions and reviews.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Thanks. We'll see. After the new set of irons I just bought...the wife is vehemently against this idea

I have a Titleist SC85 cart bag that I use on my pull cart as well as a golf cart. The quality is exceptional, it has 14 slots and plenty of pockets. It also looks great. I would recommend a Titleist bag any day.

My Titleist SC85 Bag holds:

Callaway Hyper X Driver - 10 Degree
Cobra Bafflers 1, 3 & 4
Cobra 3100 I/H Irons 5-GWTitleist Vokey Wedges 54 & 58PiNG i-Series Anser 4 PutterCallaway Big Bertha & Warbird Balls

• 2 years later...

I'm sure this reply is totally unhelpful because of the timing, but anyway, I've had a SunMountain carry bag for, oh, around 10 years or so and its durability is terrific.  The legs and the entire bag itself are still in great shape.  The only issue is with the nylon straps that attach the dual shoulder straps to the bag handle - they have finally frayed to the point where I've had to have a shoemaker cut the frays and re-stitch them together.  But there are a number of places where this has frayed, and I'm a-frayed (!) I'll need to find new replacement nylon straps to replace the frayed one or the bag will have to be replaced.  I should be able to find them, but we'll see.  But the bag and stand legs themselves have endured admirably.

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!