IGNORED

Do I Really Need It?

Note: This thread is 5044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with this statement. Using a 60* wedge requires a ton of finesse, I know it has cost be strokes over other shot choices.

I've seen this mentioned in a magazine or an online article somewhere without much explanation. I was wondering if you guys might explain your opinions a bit more. I'm curious as to what you see people doing incorrectly.

I tend to like have a 60* in my set, but I also use a 54 rather than a 56 so the yardage gaps work out well for me.

Driver: Cobra S2 10.5
Fairway: S9-1 3 Wood 15.5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3R
Irons: 4-9 Cobra FP
Wedges: 49 588, 54 & 60 CG14s Putter: White Hot XG #9Ball: Srixon AD333

I agree with a couple of posts here, but really it depends on how you strike the ball when your it comes to your short game, preference and also course layouts that you play often. I have a 54 and a 58* and I can use either or on a lot of shots but it depends on the lie as well. If your comfortable opening your 56, then I'm not sure you want a 60* unless you plan to use it on other shots around the green. I like to use my 58* on short shots and to get up and down, just like my 54*. It just depends on those things: Lie for the most part, because if you add bounce or take too much off you can be in trouble again.

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I found that a 60 just adds weight to the bag.

-----------------
Driver: Ping G20 10.5
4 wood: Ping G20 16.5
Hybrid: Ping I20 23

5-P: Cleveland CG16 tour

Wedge: Cleveland Cg16 56

Putter: Cleveland classic

Ball: Top Flite D2 feel

I've seen this mentioned in a magazine or an online article somewhere without much explanation. I was wondering if you guys might explain your opinions a bit more. I'm curious as to what you see people doing incorrectly.

It's alot like high handicappers playing high spin balls, it needs to be played with intention. The margin for error is less with a 60 degree wedge. It's very easy to leave shots well short of the pin, and best used when it's required for a specific shot. Often times it's not the best choice around the green.

Yes, it's a very effective club to hit tight shots in certain situations, but more often than not amateur golfers seem to use the lob wedge as a crutch and reach for it rather than properly hitting a lower-lofted wedge. I see guys all the time flubbing chips and sliding under the ball in longer grass with a 60 when a PW or 52 would be ideal.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I don"t think you need a low bounce 60 at all. I find the I very rarely need to flop a shot from a tight light lie. From the rough 80% of the time I have a lie that I can open up my 56 -14 and flop a shot when needed. By not carrying my 60* I canr carry a 5 wood and I find I use this 3 - 6 times a round as it is a 210 yard club.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

even though im a high candicap, i feel like my 60* is my most useful wedge inside 50yds. i often use it in deep bunkers and around the greens. definitely try it out before you get it!!!
Driver: Callaway Octane Tour 9.5* w/ Oban Tour Prototype Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909F2 15.5* w/ Oban Revenge Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea A7 3H 4H
Iron: Mizuno MP-52 Project X 5.5 5-PW
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52* 56* 60*Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1Bag: Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

I find my 62* (I used to play a 60*) is a great club in the bag. I also play alot of the top course's, so I hit alot of shots that you usually would not need to hit on a Avg course.
I would still sugest a 60* wedge for anyone!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I acrry 4 wedges and use the right one for the shot I want, I do nto find it any harder to hit the 60deg than any other, I often use it in bunkers where there is minimal sand in the bottom and I can play lots of different shots with it. its rare that I will hit it from 70yds, sometimes a half 52deg wedge is a better solution. I certainly love carrying 4 wedges, I find them far more useful than having more longer clubs, my troubles come from hitting the longer clubs in the trees!!! but thats the benefit of having my handicap :) I am not convinced I understand why a 60 deg wedge is considered hard to hit, Ill get far more use from a 60deg wedge than a 3 iron!!!

Just my 2 cents worth (they are Aussie cents, so not worth as much :))

Do you ever find yourself saying, I wish I had a more lofted club? If the answerr is no, than there is no reason for a 60 degree wedge. If the answer is yes ,you may ned to evaluate the value of each individual club.

A 60* wedge is a marmite club, you either love it or hate it.

I think they're brilliant personally, really versatile.
Others don't practice enough with them, end up duffing shots and blame the club

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Like one of the other responders (don't remember which) I carry 4 wedges because I'm not the greatest at 3/4 & 1/2 PW, GW shots and the SW wedge has too much bounce for the fairway. I don't use the 60* very much but when I need it there isn't a substitute that seems to work for me. I use it mostly around the greens out of shallow sand with hard pan underneath and little flop shots over the traps. A word of caution however is 60* is a lot of loft and you should practice with it before use as I had to learn to hit it hard enough to get there.

Butch

It depends, as your 56* has 14* of bounce it would be very hard to play a flop shot so I would strongly recommend getting a 60* as it would be a lot easier to stop when playing flop shots.

I say absolutely not. I have the exact same club as yours as my highest lofted club. In fact, I even bent it 2 degrees stronger so now it is a 54. So far I have not found I shot I can't hit with it.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

I say absolutely not. I have the exact same club as yours as my highest lofted club. In fact, I even bent it 2 degrees stronger so now it is a 54. So far I have not found I shot I can't hit with it.

Very interesting. Next season I want to do a 53, 57 set and free up room for a strong 3 wood.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

I have the same 56* as well, Nike with 14 bounce, I have the 60* with 10 bounce as well and freaking love it. I use the 60 anywhere around the green and can stop it on a dime, my father in law gets pissed cause he can't hit his lob wedge so he always has to do a bump and run shot that usually runs past the hole, while the 60* is just so versatile.

Driver - SQ Dymo 9.5*
3 Wood - SQ Dymo 15*
5 Wood - SQ Dymo 19*
4-PW
52* w/ 10 bounce 56* w/ 14 bounce 60* w/ 10 bounce Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Very interesting. Next season I want to do a 53, 57 set and free up room for a strong 3 wood.

I love this! I have a 13 degree 3 wood that is amazing! I hit it off the tee 75% of the time and it has plenty of distance. It's pretty nice always being in the fairway to give yourself scoring opportunities. The face is shallow so I have problem hitting it off the deck. My favorite club in the bag!

I love this! I have a 13 degree 3 wood that is amazing! I hit it off the tee 75% of the time and it has plenty of distance. It's pretty nice always being in the fairway to give yourself scoring opportunities. The face is shallow so I have problem hitting it off the deck. My favorite club in the bag!

I thought a shallow face makes it easier to hit off the fairway?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Which 3+ are you using? I'd like to add one, and end up hitting my 16* hybrid as a safety club.

But who am I kidding... the fiance won't really let any new clubs into the bag until a whole laundry list of other things gets paid for!

Note: This thread is 5044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!