IGNORED

St. Andrews Official Handicap Criteria

Note: This thread is 5180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,
Thinking about planning a trip to play St. Andrews Old, but on the website it states an official certificate of a 24 handicap is required. I keep my own spreadsheet and stats and while I'm a currently 14.7, I don't have an "official" HI.
I realize I could join a course to get one, but I usually skip around and dont want to unneccessarily payout a chunk of change for a course membership; would St. Andrews recognize a GolfSmith or Golf.com handicap certificate which they claim is "official"?
Thanks Guys

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could always call them up or email and ask what they consider an "official" handicap. You're in the States so I'm pretty sure that you can get an official handicap through online services without having to fork out a whole bunch for a course membership. Others here will be able to direct you to the right websites.

Joining a course for its handicap program doesn't necessarily mean an expensive membership in a club. In Illinois, many of the public courses are linked up to a USGA affiilated golf group that oversees handicapping and it costs maybe 30-40 bucks to sign up for the handicap program. I joined the closest public course near me, but I can post scores from any course.

Here's probably the same thing for Virginia. http://www.vsga.org/article.asp?ID=573 If you poke around, there is a state map you can click that lists the courses nearest you.

thanks guys

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

You could always call them up or email and ask what they consider an "official" handicap. You're in the States so I'm pretty sure that you can get an official handicap through online services without having to fork out a whole bunch for a course membership. Others here will be able to direct you to the right websites.

You need an official GHIN handicap to play, or you might be able to have your club pro contact them, but not positive if that would work. You might get lucky and the starter won't check your handicap, but it rarely happens, and really isn't worth the risk. Make sure to bring your handicap card or a print out of your handicap form the GHIN website as they won't just take your word for it and they won't let you look it up there.

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

I've played there about a dozen times and never been asked, but I have heard that they do ocassionally ask some people. It may be their judgment as to who looks like a golfer and who looks like a duffer.

Well, I can't comment on VOX's statement. We're in the planning stages of our trip and it specifically says on the application you submit for a tee time that you need the handicaps of players in the group. I guess you can get by with not submitting one but, in my opinion, getting turned away at the 1st tee would be pretty disheartening.

I'm not sure how it works for the singles who just show up on day of play and get in with another group. But the handicap requirements is pretty laid out on their requirements.

I joined an eClub which is local, not specific to a course, and for $80/year I get an official GHIN handicap with it. It's not a big deal.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I didn't play at St Andrews, but I did play at half a dozen high end courses in England and before I went, all their websites said you have to have a certain handicap and they required proof, so I got one free via GHIN.

None of them asked me for proof and I didn't notice them asking anyone else.

I guess when you're paying $100-$200 a round and when I played, the economy was way better than it is now, they're not gonna ask.

Most of the websites spouted regulations and charters and calling the secretaries (not an admin assistant, but a high falutin sounding position.) I guess if you're a member, there's some pomp and circumstance, but basically, when I played, it was go to the pro shop, pay and tee it up, just like anywhere else.

Another guess is once they hear your American accent, they're assuming tourist and hoping you spend your money in the gift shop, so another reason they're not going to turn you away.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 5180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!