IGNORED

I need a 200 yard club, please recommend

Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17-19* hybrid would be ideal. Ping hybrids are great, I still use a g5 that I've had for years. Just can't get rid of that thing, I love it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• 3 weeks later...
I received the 17º Nickent 4DX Ironwood and hit with it at the range a few times. My average distance with this club is around 190-195 y, not quite the 200 y I was looking for but close enough. I don't hook with this club like I usually do with my 5W. It is much easier to hit than the 3i. I am thinking about getting the 19º to replace my 3i.

I know that Callaway, Titleist and Cleveland all make 64 degree wedges. That should cover it.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I use a 20* rescue, works really well.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I agree with an earlier replier, if you hit your long irons better then you should be swinging a 4iron for your 200 yd shot.

I can't stand hybrids and the prevailing marketing that they are easier to hit than irons. Hogwash...be a man and swing an iron.

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

I second this.

I third the Nickent 3DX. They are cheap and a fantastic club! I played the 3DX to fill the gap between my 5 wood and 5 iron. Was a great club!

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I use to have a 19* taylormade rescue that I hit 230 yards but it sounds like you should look into a hybrid between 17-19 degrees. check out ebay for some really good deals. Hybrids are easier to hit than fwy woods for a lot of people.
Driver......... R9 Supertri 9.5* - Project X 6.5
FWY Wood.. MP Titanium 15* - Project X 6.0
Irons........... MP 68 3-PW - Project X 6.0
Wedges....... xFT 52.09 56.16
................... Tour 59.06Putter.......... Studio Select Squareback Ball............. ProV1x Supporting Project X One 330...

Just a hacker's view, but I personally believe the 200 yd. distance left is the toughest target in golf. Most of us overswing the club that is supposed to go that far in the bag, and we are left with some type of silly wedge recovery shot around/over a tree or sand trap .

Anyways, I carry two hybrids, my 17 deg. Mizuno MX-700 with stock R Exsar HS4 shaft and a Ping G10 21 deg. with R UST v2 shaft. The Miz is a 5w replacement, the Ping a 3 Iron. Well, I usually hit that Ping the best. I would gauge its carry as 185-205. My Miz is any shot past 205 from the fairway (I won't hit my 3w off the deck).

Maybe its the shaft(custom order), but I can wholly vouche for a Ping hybrid. It is easiest to hit for me at a 200 yds. target. With my 2 clubs that could reach that range mentioned, I fing the Ping is most consistent, despite being nearing the end of its range. Many more worse shots with the Miz hybrid for me than that more lofted Ping.

In My Orlimar Arctic Cart Bag: (A Desert Survival tool)
Driver:MP-600 10.5 Fujikara 360 S
3w:2009 17 deg. Launcher Fujikara Gold R
Hybrids:MX-700 17 deg. Exsar FS4 R, G-10 21 deg. UST V-2 R
Irons: 5-pw MP-32 True Temper R300Chipper/wedge: 37 deg. IDEA A3OS ChipperGW:MP-t10 Black Satin 52.07SW: V...

My distances are about equal with your's. I hit both my 5w and 4h roughly 200 yards. Just depends the type of shot I want. If off the tee and I want more roll I will hit the 5 wood. If it's a long par 3 or 2nd shot on a par 5 I hit the hybrid cause I feel I have more control over it and it keeps me in play

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Get a Bobby Jones Hybrid by Jesse Ortiz. They are absolutely the best clubs I've ever hit. If you are hitting your 5w about 190, then I'd recommend the 17 degree as a 200 yard club. My 5w was about a 215 club for me and I replaced it with the 17 degree Bobby Jones and it's a 230 club for me on the best hits and even the bad hits turn out well and still go over 200.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

• 2 years later...
Originally Posted by khale

Cleveland Hi-bore Monster Driver ~ 240 yards

Mizuno 3W ~ 215 yards

Mizuno MX-20 3i ~ 185 yards

Current I hit my 5W (Mizuno) about 190 yards but I tend to snap hook it or push it most of the time. Not sure why but I hit my 3W better. I am thinking that I need a 3 hybrid. Could you please recommend me an easy to hit hybrid that will give me about 200 yards (judging from the 3i and 3W distances). I have never hit a hybrid club before. I tend to hit long irons better than woods.

Thanks,

I'm a bogie golfer with 3 herniated discs and a right knee that is bone to bone. I got no game. But I love the game. I use a 3 hybrid on the tee (off the grass) and in the fairway. Now you asked about a 200 yard club. Mine is a 200, maybe 210, but that's total carry. So if you are looking for a 3h that will give you 200 yards carry, you may either be in a no luck situation or you can hit the club much better than most using the 3h. You gotta remember, weekend/casual golfers only hit the driver up to 250 yards consitantly (total distance) if being in the center third of the fairway is desireable. Sure a banana ball or hard pull may go 280, maybe more, but who wants to be in the adjacent fairway? Now you have fairway woods that will cover from 180 to 235 or so (total carry) your 3h should fall into the slot of 180 carry plus bounce and roll. Maybe more if you are a good ball striker. Now this is for average weekend golfers, not the pros, or low handicap players (8 over and less). IF you can hit the ball 200 yards from the tee to the middle third of the fairway, and get a second shot (with whatever is comfortable to you) for another 200 yards, your are just a short chip/pitch from most greens (par 4's). On par 5's, 3 200 yard shots will get you to and over every par 5 I have ever seen, so now you have a real chance at a par. Yeah, that puts you in a position of having to make a great chip and put on the par 4's (up and down) and that's hard. But I believe you can master the short chip/pitch (70yards or less) and a great one put easier than you will master the long drive. This is not to say that many have not mastered the long drive, but more have not yet mastered the chip/pitch and follow it up with great putting as I have observed. So, if you shot bogie golf on a round of golf, you'd be scoring @ 90 or less, not bad for a weekend golfer when the real average weekend golfer, according to the PGA is 100+? Just my 2 cents.

Doc

I'm a bogie golfer, bad back, bad knee ... I use a shortened 3 wood & can get it out just about 200 from the fairway with minimal rollout - I've worked on it & it's becomming a confidence club for me.

For the OP, you might consider a Wilson Staff Fybrid bridge club (19.5 degree) - its designed to fill the gap between the 3w & 3h ... it's slightly larger head than a hybrid - I used one last year & hit my best hybrid shots ever with it.... had to drop it now that I'm carrying a hcp & playing legit with 14 clubs ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by khale

Cleveland Hi-bore Monster Driver ~ 240 yards

Mizuno 3W ~ 215 yards

Mizuno MX-20 3i ~ 185 yards

Current I hit my 5W (Mizuno) about 190 yards but I tend to snap hook it or push it most of the time. Not sure why but I hit my 3W better. I am thinking that I need a 3 hybrid. Could you please recommend me an easy to hit hybrid that will give me about 200 yards (judging from the 3i and 3W distances). I have never hit a hybrid club before. I tend to hit long irons better than woods.

Thanks,

200 yards off a Tee or of the fairway? If your looking for a tee club consider a 460 cc driver....in a high loft version. I've got a 20 degree driver thats a real fairway finder. I've got it on about a 5 wood shaft and its great for long par 3's as well. But strickly a Tee club

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!