IGNORED

Phil curses too....

gloomis29
Note: This thread is 5012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks Richf, I'll take that as a compliment.

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spongebob is okay. It's that little bast*** Plankton you gotta watch out for. And Squidward - who pi$$ed in that guys corn flakes. Geeze man, if it wasn't for Spongebob and his culinary gift, that whole place would be outta business.

Amen to that s&%$ brother.

Actually, Phil said "Gosh Darn it, fiddlesticks."

But they dubbed in a voice over "God Damn it" to up his "cool" factor with the youngsters.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm a little surprised that this is being taken at all seriously. It's your job, as a parent, to teach your kids how to act; it's not the responsibility of the pros playing golf on TV. If you're really concerned about the pros' language, you should explain to your kids why (you say) it's wrong "to use use the Lord's name in vain." While you're at it, you might try to explain to them that this is an area in which people's views can reasonably differ, and that, in such areas, it's often wise to avoid taking offence at the behaviour of people that may not share your own moral or religious views.
Current setup:
Titleist 909D2 9.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Titleist 909F2 15.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-P, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH Stiff | Titleist Vokey SM 54.11, 60.07 | Scotty Cameron ACVII / Napa California | Titleist Pro V1X

Only in the U.S. is saying a bad word a big deal, but 40 people being killed in Iraq by a suicide bomber barely qualifies as a blurb on the news ticker. We won't show a nipple, but the news networks showed the footage of Iraqis being shot to death. Janet Jackson's boob got more coverage than the shooting rampage in Connecticut. Our priorities are pretty f&%$ed to put it one way.

This is an excellent post; just flat well-written. !!Thank you, Shanks!!

phil probably leads tiger in this category. he's more congenial and he doesn't throw his clubs. he just gets exasperated and red-faced. everyone deals with it differently. i don't think it's good for someone like tiger to internalize his frustration like he's doing now...it's just not his style. it's worse to hit a spectator in the face with your golf ball like he did sunday at firestone than to curse and try and reclaim your swing so you don't hit the ball wayward.

Watching the Bridgestone Invite, Phil loses his drive out to the left and drops a very loud and clear "G-D".... which in my book is just as bad as an f-bomb....you would think the PGA would just quit using a mic on tee boxes, or get quicker at hitting the "mute" button! I hear more cursing watching golf on TV than watching football, but I KNOW there is 100x more profanity on the football field/sidelines since I work there every saturday.

Sorry god damnit is not as bad as the f-bomb. As Al Czervick once said "what are you religious or something?" "In your book" due to religious beliefs does not mean that is the way it is.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sean O'Hair dropped a f-bomb on the first hole yesterday when he hit a fat shot onto the green from a clean lie on the fairway.

IMO, God Dammit is far different to dropping a f-bomb. Secondly, the majority of Tiger's cursing are God Dammit's we all witness his cursing because the mic's and camera's are on him 24/7...whether he plays well or as we saw this weekend, whether he plays poorly.

We all have to understand that these golfers play at a level that we could never imagine and the pressure and need to execute a shot is at an intensity that most of us couldn't understand and when these pros make a "stupid mistake," the natural reaction is to release with a curse wrd of some sort. So what? They are human. Most high handicappers who have no business cursing because "they aren't good enough" do so all the time when I play with them...so if someone who can't break 90 can do it, why can't we all understand a pro which counts on every shot because every shot is worth thousands?

The responasbility likes in the broadcast. CBS or NBC. They should, have the recordings on a 5 second or so delay which would enable the live editors to mute any profanities that are verbalized. The fact that they don't do that is completely irresponsible and is the true problem with this entire issue we are debating.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

How is God Damnit as bad as the f bomb?

A lot of golfers on tour swear. Quit making excuses for Phil.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I cuss like a damn stallion when I hit a bad drive, I don't blame'em, I'm not losing near as much money as they are from it and I'm not getting ripped apart by critics after every tee shot.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Look at it another way in terms of what word is worse. F**k is merely a word, there's no direction to it. Words like god damn and Jesus Christ are directed ad someone, or something in particular. Just imagine for a minute, that a player hit a bad shot and said, "Postmaster General damnit!" They're using someone's name in vain, even if it's merely a title. Same can be said about God.

In most cultures, using the name of god or the word god in vain is much worse than saying f**k. Imagine if someone had just become a quadriplegic, and you said, "Oh, he's just Reeve'd himself." Now imagine someone got ALS, and you said, "He's Hawking it." That's going to be offensive to most people. F**k is so over rated, because it's merely a word, nothing more. Regardless of your beliefs, using someone's name or title in vain is unfair to that person, or deity. But then again, I believe in free speech with absolutely no censorship, so say what you want, but know others reserve the right to judge you.

Look at it another way in terms of what word is worse. F**k is merely a word, there's no direction to it. Words like god damn and Jesus Christ are directed ad someone, or something in particular. Just imagine for a minute, that a player hit a bad shot and said, "Postmaster General damnit!" They're using someone's name in vain, even if it's merely a title. Same can be said about God.

You make a good point and I also agree that free speech is the world that we live while in North America. However, people get offended and do have the right...but my thing is more the fact that since people have a right to be offended, whether it's a name in vain or straight up f bomb. Regardless of what it is, the network producing and showing the event (knowing that people will be offended) should censor foul language knowing that it WILL happen and that some WILL get offended when it happens.

The fact that they don't mute the foul language is incredibly careless.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

every golfer curses on the course. Anyone that says that the have not are just lying to themselves. When you have that much money at stake on a round of golf your gonna get pissed when you mess up. This is how they make their living.

My Home Course http://www.golfcluboftexas.com
Driver- Taylor Made Burner
Hybrid- CPR 22 Deg.
Irons- Taylor Made Burners 4i- AW
Wedges- Cleveland 54, 56, 60 DegPutter- Cleveland Classic 2 Ball- Callaway IxBag- Ben Hogan Stand Bag

The real problem is that vanilla, wonderbread, soulless a-holes like Tiger and Phil suck at cursing.

So get some goddamn perspective, Jesus!

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

You make a good point and I also agree that free speech is the world that we live while in North America. However, people get offended and do have the right...but my thing is more the fact that since people have a right to be offended, whether it's a name in vain or straight up f bomb. Regardless of what it is, the network producing and showing the event (knowing that people will be offended) should censor foul language knowing that it WILL happen and that some WILL get offended when it happens.

Free speech has had a rough time in Canada since the adoption of the Charter of (so-called) Rights and Freedoms, hasn't it?

Right to be offended? Careless lack of censorship? Sheesh.
Current setup:
Titleist 909D2 9.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Titleist 909F2 15.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-P, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH Stiff | Titleist Vokey SM 54.11, 60.07 | Scotty Cameron ACVII / Napa California | Titleist Pro V1X

Free speech has had a rough time in Canada since the adoption of the Charter of (so-called) Rights and Freedoms, hasn't it?

What? The Charter of Rights in Canada as you have stated has nothing to do with an American broadcast in which people in America are offended by and criticize. For the sake of walking away from politics in being that this is a golf forum, the simple point I was trying to make was that if people are offended, which every individual has a right to be whether I agree or not (Im sure people write the networks to complain) by cursing from any golf players, then the simple solution is to mute the word which can be accomplished by live editors.

Maybe they don't care that curse words are said during the day hours......ok cool. Solution #2 is to put up a disclamier... Simple.

Deryck Griffith

Why don't the golf networks do what ABC did for the NBA Finals where the broadcast was on a several second delay so they could edit out Rasheed Wallace's tirades after every foul he committed? Doesn't seem that hard to me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!