IGNORED

Duffers with no etiquette (playing with 2 balls)

Rexmaster
Note: This thread is 5016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played alone behind a 4 some friday afternoon at a local course. It took me about until the par 4 6th hole to catch them, i saw that they were some duffers, it has a pond about 50 yards in front of the teebox and I could hear some balls bouncing off the rocks down by the pond. I finished putting on the par 5th and they saw me approach the teebox and moved to the side and motioned me to play through. I guess they assumed that since i was playing alone, i must be pretty good and didnt really get all the way out of the way so I sort of hit over them but it would have been a really bad tee shot to have come close to hitting them and I was hitting my driver pretty good and did smack one about 245 right down the right side of the fairway which still resulted in missing the green with my pw and ended up getting a 5 or 6 i think. I guess my point is that even when people allow you to play through sometimes they dont realize how much room you need or how they might not be a safe distance away. Like also on an earlier hole, i had to wait to tee off as the crew was mowing the rough between 2 holes but i was afraid on this particular hole that i would slice it and hit it toward them. It does create some stress sometimes when you know you cant miss in a certain direction in order to keep from hitting into someone even though you dont mean to hit it over there.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have no etiquette..... I usually play alone (weekdays, I rarely play weekends) and when I come upon a slower group I'll sometimes play two balls. I can't go anywhere so I'll hit both a low and a high compression ball just to see the differences. Maybe change / experiment with grip position, stance, etc. Around the green I may practice some putts or chip a little to try to improve the short game.
Generally there is no one behind me.

Although I've never asked, I've had the slower group ahead ask me if I want to play through and my usual reply is "I'm in no hurry, I don't have to be to work until 3"
I can recall accepting the offer of a play through only once......

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

You sir, are an a$$hole. End of story.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

I am not sure how 22 cap trusts his driver enough to think that he did not do something dangerous by hitting over a group.

Very dumb move. Please don't do it again .

Someone mentioned the idea of being waved up to hit into/over the group. This is very different as the group ahead is watching the ball / and or move off to a safe place.

As for 2 guys both playing 2 balls, if it was holding you up there is better ways to deal with it.

But on the topic, people assume 2 guys playing 2 balls or 1 guy play 4 balls takes the same time as 4 guys playing 1 ball. Of course it doesn't as there is less overlap in setup and walking to the ball time.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I'm sure by now you understand what a bad idea this was. I'm sure you meant no harm at the time and I'm also sureu won't do it again. I have only been hit into like that a few times and on each occasion I promptly walked to their ball and hit it into whatever hazard was closest, be it the woods, or water. And I made sure they saw me do it. But, I never hit the ball back at them or in a direction that could harm someone else.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

The best way to deal with slow play is to call the clubhouse and ask them to address it UNLESS you can catch the group on a tee box and respectfully ask to play through.

Getting angry and doing something rash (like hitting into a group, or 'over' them) or getting so pissed that it affects your game is the wrong way to deal with it.

Now - if I could only always follow my own advice

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Am I the only person (well... my foursome) that will skip a hole to get ahead of a group that I (we) think is playing slow? I'm an impatient player as well, so I can relate. But, if you play when it's not very crowded, then there's always that option to skip ahead. If you decide to play when it's crowded... well... you just gotta accept the consequences.

If you hit into my direction and my Son was with me. You would have bigger problems than waiting for a long round of golf, knowing that assault is a crime, I would simply grab every club in your bag and break them, then I would complain to the pro shop that you asaulted me with your clubs and my only defense was to break all of your stix. When the cops show up, any intelligent policeman is going to take statements and see no bodily harm was done and we both walk away. You may try to sue, but its your word against another. Long story...its never worth getting into a possible scenario of violence and you did by hitting the drive. BUT since Im a logical golfer, I would let you through at first sight, if I was in teaching mode with a child.

I intentionally drove the ball over them to give them a warning.

Your actions were about a million times worse than those of the twosome in front of you. I take it you've never hit someone with a golf ball. Well I have, albeit on accident, and let me tell you - it's scary as hell. The sound and aftermath of hitting someone squarely with a golf ball will haunt you. Hitting into (or over) a group just because you are impatient is terrible. You showed absolutely no regard for those people's lives, and why? Because you wanted them to speed up on a day when the course (by your own admission) was backed up? Please.

I'd like to reiterate for page 2... playing 2 balls is really not an etiquette issue. If/when the course is backed up, playing 2 balls is not uncommon, especially for a single or twosome. What is an etiquette issue, however, is driving a ball into the group ahead of you.

I see from your profile that you are pretty much new to the game and that you're an educated person, so instead of beating you up about it, I'd just like to instill a bit of golf etiquette on you... let's make the right decisions on the course from now on now that you know how big of a deal this selfish and dangerous act was.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Stick that dumba$$ move in the back of your mind and learn from it. The chances of actually hitting someone on a golf course aren't that great but the chance of seriously hurting someone when you hit them are pretty good. Also you might be the best 22 cap in the world off the tee.

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

I intentionally drove the ball over them to give them a warning.

You are either a

-or a If somebody intentionally hits, throws, hurls, shoots, etc… anything in my direction that could potentially cause bodily harm the gloves are off…….jackass.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I don't understand what this father is teaching his teenage boy.

I think the lesson the father was teaching was clear: don't be a stupid, inconsiderate, dangerous dick like the guy playing behind them. "

You see son, that is exactly the type of person you don't want to grow up and become. "

If there's no one behind you, just backtrack and play some holes again - I'm sure no one is going to say anything to you about it, and more than likely the hole being held up will be clear by the time you get back. There's never a reason to intentionally try to harm someone by knowingly hitting over their group.

Note: This thread is 5016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!