IGNORED

Does anyone still make rusty wedges?

Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im having a lot of trouble finding a un-chromed wedge locally. Like a raw vokey or a 588 rtg. Have these lost favor or something? Anyone know of online sources that could help?

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

TGW.com has the Cleveland Mens CG12 RTG+ DSG Wedges for $89... It's the only "raw" wedge they have.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The oil can finish is design to wear off and it will rust after time. Or you could buy an oil can wedge and put it in a bottle of coke and you will basically have the raw wedge I think you are looking for.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

vokey oil cans i believe are rust

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

• Administrator
You should ask yourself why you want a raw wedge. To reduce glare? Because you want the face to rust?

The first is a good reason, and there are a LOT of wedges out there that reduce glare. The second is not a good reason.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like the way they look

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

Mizuno Raw Haze have a nice look..there a few on ebay if you search

This first time i swung a golf club was on 5/8/10....

Driver: M85T 9.5 Stiff
Wood: Black Max 3W
Hybrid: MHT 3H Irons: Black Max 5-PW, SWWesge: 52*Putter: Black Max Putter

You should ask yourself why you want a raw wedge. To reduce glare? Because you want the face to rust?

Why is the second reason not a good one? Just curious... I honestly have no idea...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Why is the second reason not a good one? Just curious... I honestly have no idea...

There is a myth that raw/oil can wedges impart more spin to the ball because of the rust on the face. Totally false statement. Besides, my oilcan wedges never get a chance to rust due to use. If they did, the rust comes off after a couple of swings through the sand/turf.

It increases the pace at which the face deteriorates and the grooves dull. It doesn't give you more spin (as some would tell you), but it can actually give you less spin because the grooves wear faster.

Me, I use a Vokey Oil Can in my SW. A club which I rarely use and then only for about 100 yard shots. I keep the face clean but I let the back of it rust because I like the look of it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i like the rust look too... i dont care about spin.

i took an old cleveland chrome plated reg. 588 60* head to work and attempted to sandblast the head so it would rust... but the chrome didnt come off easily and now i'm left with a fugly club.

that was a mistake.

my next wedges will probably be the oil can finish.... may even buy used ones that are already rusty cause i'm too impatient to wait on it to wear off.

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

There is a myth that raw/oil can wedges impart more spin to the ball because of the rust on the face. Totally false statement. Besides, my oilcan wedges never get a chance to rust due to use. If they did, the rust comes off after a couple of swings through the sand/turf.

This is according to a page on the Golfsmith website:

FINISH Wedges come in a variety of finishes including polished chrome, satin, black/gunmetal and raw. All finishes wear slightly over time and you should choose the one that sets up best to your eye at address. The only finish with performance benefits is the raw finish which will rust over time and helps add spin."

I'm not saying your wrong.... not at all... but just thought I'd throw this out there.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

This is according to a page on the Golfsmith website:

Because rust is abrasive if you have a really rusty golf club face there is the potential to impart a bit more spin for one shot. In which case the rust would be removed from the face upon contact with the ball and then the face would return to normal, less spinning and all.

There have been a lot of threads on rusty faces. It'd be best for everyone to look them up.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Have a look at the Mizuno MP-T10 in RAW Black Satin while they're still available as they are non-conforming.

They rust like crazy on the sole and sides, but the grooves seem to stay pretty clear, at least on mine. Major downside is that unless you clean them well after the rust sets in it can get all over the place which is no fun on shiney chrome clubs or your hands.

Mizuno claim that they are higher spinning too so maybe it helps, but that said, it looks like the new MP-T11 conforming wedges won't come in this finish, so maybe it doesn't. To be honest I don't know, but the grooves really spin the ball, a bit too much actually....
Whats in my Twister V bag?
MP-630 fast-track 9.5 w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki S
909F3 15* w/ Titleist Aldila Voodoo FWS
909F3 18* w/ Titleist Aldila Voodoo FWS
MP-58 3-PW w/ Project X 6.0 MP T-10 Black Satin 52/07, 56/12 & 60/08 Newport 2.5 MS 34" B330-S balls

The only reason I game oil can wedges is because it makes me look like I got them from a charity shop.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!