IGNORED

My Swing (majorchamp)

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 4387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm working on the same thing (might have mentioned this already). Using the aiming point technique, meaning you look in front of the ball, trying to get the hands as far forward as possible is something you can try.

Yep, I know the ball flight laws and your right. I will test what you said above at A and B. thanks

If you feel like you're coming across the ball, it's again because you're likely using the wrong muscles. That sounds like you're trying to get your arms down by rotating your shoulders, which is the opposite of what you need to do.

WRong muscles...I think your on to something there. I just tested something on the downswing. When I get that outside in feeling I mentioned with the left arm coming down, I noticed my left shoulder moving behind me, aka my shoulders turning. If I focus on my left shoulder moving toward the target on the downswing all the way up to impact, I DO feel myself on plane and my arms able to get into a better impact position...definitely a different feeling and not what I am used to.

So if I swing slowly and keep my eyes on my left shoulder during my downswing, from that POV my left shoulder continues to move laterally versus rotating. right feeling / move?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I did some slower based swings in my backyard last night focusing on my left shoulder and trying to prevent it from moving backwards on the downswing.

One drill I focused on afterwards was working on moving my left shoulder down on the backswing, and moving it up on the downswing, like a tilt system. Not sure if this is a bad move or not...but I can see how some of my over the top issues are because that left shoulder "turns" behind me as I approach the impact zone.

What still confuses me, and you can see in the video below is when I start my downswing and slide my hips forward and focus on keeping that left shoulder up and forward, I still feel like my impact zone places my hands closer to my right thigh then my left thigh. They only thing I can think of is I am over exaggerating my hip slide too much and need to tone it back a bit. Seems if I focus on keeping my left shoulder moving forward instead of behind me, I need less hip slide to get into that impact position. I do feel the left shoulder drill I am working on DOES help me maintain a forward club position at impact and it feels good, just my hand/club position compared to my hips/thighs is irking me.

sorry for the poor DTL angle, realized the camera was too far right.

So you took Erik's main piece of advice and basically did the opposite of it? Bud, that makes no sense to me.

Good luck with your golf swing. There are a lot of people out there willing to help you, but in my experience if you think someone is wrong, it's best to tell them and let them stop spending their time helping you than to just ignore what they say. Maybe you'll listen to some of the other people on the forum, or here's a crazy idea, go work with a qualified instructor.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So you took Erik's main piece of advice and basically did the opposite of it? Bud, that makes no sense to me.

HUH? can you please elaborate. Erik noted I might be using the wrong muscles on my downswing, so I have been working on getting my left arm more in front of my body and across my chest, and I found the best way was to focus on my left shoulder and keeping it from turning behind me.

did I miss something?

Wait, so because the guy couldn't instantly and perfectly apply a (somewhat) big swing change in a couple of days, on his own, that means that he was really just trying to ignore the advice? If he's not applying the advice correctly, just say so. That's the point of these types of threads. You post a swing, someone critiques it and gives advice, you then try to apply that advice as you understood it, post an updated swing to see if you're on the right track. Seems like exactly what MC's been doing here....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 10.5*
Hybrids: Nickent 4DX 3+, 4, 5
Irons: Ping G15 5 - PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-R (52*, 56*, 60*)
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4 (34" and 35")

Wait, so because the guy couldn't instantly and perfectly apply a (somewhat) big swing change in a couple of days, on his own, that means that he was really just trying to ignore the advice? If he's not applying the advice correctly, just say so. That's the point of these types of threads. You post a swing, someone critiques it and gives advice, you then try to apply that advice as you understood it, post an updated swing to see if you're on the right track. Seems like exactly what MC's been doing here....

This guy was told to get his arms down faster because his hips were outracing his body and he had to flip to get the club to the ball, so instead he films himself pushing hips hips forward at the start of his downswing while leaving his arms even farther behind?

That rainbow stick figure is pretty lame but it's pretty clear: the arms need to come down faster. I've read that more than a few times. And that's not a "big swing change." It'll take some time but it's not a big change. Again, I'll say the same thing: dude should go see a local professional he trusts. Maybe he needs more hands-on demonstrations and less rainbow stick figures.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

This guy was told to get his arms down faster because his hips were outracing his body and he had to flip to get the club to the ball, so instead he films himself pushing hips hips forward at the start of his downswing while leaving his arms even farther behind?

I was also told multiple times I don't push my hips laterally enough or hold onto them long enough...so being told that, but then also to bring my arms down quicker...you can understand that can be confusing.

• Administrator
I was also told multiple times I don't push my hips laterally enough or hold onto them long enough...so being told that, but then also to bring my arms down quicker...you can understand that can be confusing.

Maybe you were, but I'm fairly certain my first comment dealt with how LONG they go forward (later refined to tell you they'd appear to be going further forward if your arms came down sooner). I specifically remember saying I'd rather see someone move their hips forward four inches, one inch at a time from the top of the backswing to impact than someone who moves their hips forward SIX inches but does it all immediately from the top of the backswing.

For mc's sake, let's keep the topic on his swing, not whatever that other stuff is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe you were, but I'm fairly certain my first comment dealt with how LONG they go forward (later refined to tell you they'd appear to be going further forward if your arms came down sooner). I specifically remember saying I'd rather see someone move their hips forward four inches, one inch at a time from the top of the backswing to impact than someone who moves their hips forward SIX inches but does it all immediately from the top of the backswing.

So as of right now, after soaking in all the advice up to this point...my goals are:

1. Focus on a deeper left shoulder turn (backswing), and preventing my left shoulder from turning around me on the downswing through impact. 2. Focus on moving my hips a shorter distance to allow for my arms to get to impact quicker and also maintain a forward shaft angle with my hands by my left thigh. am I missing something?

Just for the record, I filmed myself to focus on my left shoulder and what its doing on the downswing, and less about the hip slide. Only after watching the video did I realize how far my hips were sliding out.

are you a stay at home dad or something?

lmao, seeing the post I did quoted with that question...never would have guessed someone would ask that.

No, in fact the opposite I pretty much work 2 jobs. Full time web developer during the day, and freelance web developer at night. I actually only get a chance to hit golf balls "maybe" 2 times per week, but on average its 1 time per week. Being a web developer I have access to email and my computer constantly, hence being as active on this forum during the day. If you see me post a video, its usually from the night before where I am hitting balls at 9:30pm at the local range..and if its during the day, its because it was on a weekend.

I've got much bigger fish to fry with my swing and game but I sat here for 10 minutes and read this thread so I feel like I owe it to myself to chime in.

Looking at the comparison videos posted above of Tiger then you, you still are having an issue of the hands being behind the shaft at impact while Tiger's hands are, incredibly, still ahead of the shaft even past impact. And looking at your left shoulder and Tiger's left shoulder, I think that's where the issue is. Tiger's left shoulder comes down, stays down at impact then up. Yours is coming up before impact and it's still causing an early spin out and a bit of a flip in order to get contact.

I give you props for having the determination to keep at this because by this point I would have either just said screw it and learned to play with what I have or gone for professional help; and I'm pretty sure the former is what I would choose to do. Just don't drive yourself crazy because these are pretty minute issues - I doubt it's keeping you from scoring better or whatever goals you do, in fact, have.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I've got much bigger fish to fry with my swing and game but I sat here for 10 minutes and read this thread so I feel like I owe it to myself to chime in.

Thanks for the comments...I appreciate it.

Yea, its keeping me from scoring my best because I am inconsistent with my shots...and my mishits ar eoften blocks or pulls..and the "flipping" is part of that issue. wonderful observation about the left shoulder...honestly I never noticed that. thanks!

• Administrator

His shoulder is up because it's rotated more and it has to go up for him to have room. If you flip, you lengthen the radius. If he gets his arms down across his chest faster, he'll have come into impact sooner with the left shoulder lower because the radius will be shorter.

Keeping it shorter on the backswing will help the arms to get down faster.

If I recall I've told you two things:
a) your hips need to go forward LONGER (because we judge this relative to impact)
b) your arms need to get down faster

B relates to A because if you move your hips forward in 0.2 seconds but it currently takes you 0.3 seconds to get to impact because your arms are so slow, then if you get your arms down in 0.2 seconds then a and b will both be met without changing your hips at all.

If this picture doesn't help, I don't know what will. Overflexing the right arm and slow to get the arm across the chest.

Aaron's getting his left arm in front of his left nipple as quickly as possible on the downswing. Your arms are just being dragged along for the ride.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

G

His shoulder is up because it's rotated more and it has to go up for him to have room. If you flip, you lengthen the radius. If he gets his arms down across his chest faster, he'll have come into impact sooner with the left shoulder lower because the radius will be shorter.

That is a fantastic. Picture and comparison Erik. Thanks man. I definitely the over swinging and over folding of my right arm is a big part of blame for my timing issues.

I am at the course today and will film some more. This includes not hinging my wrists so much as I feel that plays a role in my over flexing and over swinging problems. Videos to come. Thanks again.

• Administrator
I definitely the over swinging and over folding of my right arm is a big part of blame for my timing issues.

That's only the first picture. The others are perhaps equally or more important.

Specifically, how much of Aaron's shirt can you see in front of his left arm at impact? How much can we see of yours? ARMS DOWN FASTER. You're just dragging your arms through with rotation. You need to get them across your chest faster. As for the right arm overflexing... spend the money .

Note: This thread is 4387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!