IGNORED

How to make a yardage book?

DarkPrince
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I created a yardage book for my home course using google earth and the ruler tool. Was pretty sweet.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Can google earth add markers like this?  Or maybe it is earth and I havent figured this out yet

Currently i use earth and make pages that have the ruler lines showing a point to point and have to look at my contents for that hole and what color the line is to get a distance... I've not done many holes so far with this as its been time consuming and not even very easy to use when done...

Originally Posted by bradsul

I used a combination of Google Earth and Inkscape to create a yardage book for one of my home courses.

Thanks! I've never used Inkscape but will have to play around with it some. Can you use it to draw on the earth images directly or are you editing them out?

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

Thanks! I've never used Inkscape but will have to play around with it some. Can you use it to draw on the earth images directly or are you editing them out?

My basic procedure is to measure out and place the solid white lines at 100 and 200 in google earth using the path tool.  Then I save a copy of the image out of google earth and crop it however I need it for the hole.  Then in Inkscape you add the other stuff overtop of the images as objects (makes them easer to move around as required).  I use google earth to do any and all measuring.

Brad

• 3 months later...

I would normally use Google Earth to get extra measurements for courses and write them down on the yardage books that are sold on the course. I never really found the need to spend time of making my own yardage books from scratch until I started caddying at a course and found that I wasn't too keen on the yardage book that we were provided with, it is nice for players to keep as a memento but I find it a bit cluttered and missing a good bit of information.

I would then use Google Earth to get a top down view of the holes, however this isn't possible as the course isn't yet on any satellite images. Luckily we were given an A3 diagram of the course when we first started to know how the holes were laid out.

I then use the distances in the yardage book and distances marked down on sprinkler heads to add on top of the aerial views, I also proceeded to make my own textures to make the yardage book look nicer. I also now need to walk the course with my new home-made yardage book to pace distances on the green to slopes and ridges.

2nd Hole Shown on the yardage book, I've also never been a fan of the 3d perspective on yardage books and much prefer a top-down view of the hole.

2nd hole as outlined and textured by me with distances from sprinkler heads (in blue) to front of green and distances from all 6 tee positions. It's still missing some sprinkler heads from the right hand side of the fairway short of the water.

This is a close up of the second green, I've printed this off and next chance I have of walking the course I will be pacing out distances to and from slopes and marking the gulleys at the side of the green with pencil, which will later be added onto the file on the pc to have a professional looking result.

Chrome and Windows have a cool feature that allows you to print screen but with a selected area you want. Just open up google maps and select the image of the golf hole. Then you can put that into Paint, or i like Paint.net program, and you can then add in lines and everything else. Or you can just print out the hole and use a pen. Though its tougher this way because ink can be a pain to write on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A laser is easier and quicker......

The only events that ban lasers are top-level AM or pro-events. As a 6-7HC...you're probably safe with the laser no matter where you go.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 1 year later...
A laser is easier and quicker...... The only events that ban lasers are top-level AM or pro-events. As a 6-7HC...you're probably safe with the laser no matter where you go.

Even that will be accepting more & more as time goes on. In favor of the use of lasers.

• 6 months later...
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!