IGNORED

My Swing (GreatExpectations)

GreatExpectations
Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all! I have been reading the forum for a while and have decided to take the plunge and ask for help!

A bit of background: I am a new player (been playing for about 6 weeks) and have had 1 lesson. I have always loved golf but never had the time or cash to play. As you may expect, my swing looks terrible! I haven't played a round yet and I have only been to the range to practise. I have been reading books and tutorials etc. and so I know a few things that I need to be looking out for. Any tips, comments etc. would be much appreciated. I intend to use this thread as a sort of measure of my progress (if that's ok?). The quality of the videos isn't great but in the future I hope to get a better camera. Thanks for your help in advance!

SLoooowww downnnn yourrrrr back swing a lot! Try not to sway with your hips back on the back swing either and get a better weight transfer to your front foot

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

From what I can tell from these camera angles - the one from down the line is taken from too far from the right to really know - but your setup seems pretty good for a newbie. You look like a strong guy, so tempo in your swing is going to go a long way - no pun intended. You will probably be able to generate a lot of club head speed without necessarily swinging out of your shoes. I think continuing to see a professional will help you a ton at this point. Between lessons and practicing you should notice a huge different in a short period of time. Seems like you have a decent foundation, just need to build on it. This is just my opinion, I am certainly no professional so take it for what it's worth.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, my instructor told me to relax more and allow the club to swing, if that makes any sense? I definitely grip the club too tight as I get blisters on my right hand (though I do have delicate hands... ) He said I was very 'army' and not enough body. Do you have any suggestions for working on tempo? I look like I am in such a rush to hit the ball!

I had a time where I got right hand blisters too. If you watch the pros in slow motion, most of them finish pulling their arms back long after their bodies have stopped rotating. To work on your tempo, maybe try to slow down your arms on the backswing and keep them a little more in line with your chest until your torso stops turning.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Thanks for your comments.

have you ever swung a whip? that's the feeling you should be having when hitting the ball. you have to use momentum and your whole body in sync to crack the whip properly. same with the golf swing. nobody can really help you find your rhythm, you've got to do that on your own. take a club and just swing it back and forth, letting gravity take over at the top and ''cracking the wip'' at the bottom.

Try using a timing mechanism like saying slowly, 1 (up swing)....2 (down swing). Of course this would be more helpful if you could hear how I am actually counting. But I think you are understanding what I am trying to get across here.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!