IGNORED

My Swing (tristanhilton85)

tristanhilton85
Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It would be nice to see a FO view, but I think you need to work on sequencing and getting the hips more forward.

Each video has a FO view... first swing in each is DTL, second is FO.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Each video has a FO view... first swing in each is DTL, second is FO.

Yea, sorry... didn't watch long enough. But same thing is still true. Need to work on sequencing the downswing better.

• 2 weeks later...

Any other tips or is this about it?

Thanks in advance for the help... had a pretty bad round today and need to work on the swing tomorrow.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

You have a lot of good things going on here. Just to add to what the others have suggested:

Shorten your swing. You may have to feel like you're swinging half swings just to keep the club from going past parallel.

Picture 2.png

Your arms need to be fully extended here. Try to feel that with some slow motion swings.

Picture 1.png

Constantine

Thanks for the tips... looks like I won't be able to work on things today as it's rainy but as soon as the weather clears up, I'll be back out there.  If anybody has anything else, please add it... also, I'll probably take some new video when I go out.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I've been making major improvements lately... had another good range session today (well, not really a range session, it was at Golfsmith, but they have a great hitting area and it was pouring outside, so I took advantage of it) which makes two back to back... pretty unusual for me.  Looks like the weather should clear up tomorrow so I'll be back at the range then and then maybe play early next week.  If these swing changes are taking like I think they are then maybe I'll make my 2010 goal of breaking 90 after all... that would be so awesome.

Should have new video next week sometime.

(On a side note, I hit a used set of Titleist 690MBs and damn those are nice clubs.  I always leave that place wanting to buy something even though I rarely do.)

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 month later...

I got some new video of my swing (with my new camera, a Casio EX-FS10).  I've been working on quite a few things, but mostly on shortening my swing (still a lot of work to do here) and tempo (might be hard to tell with it at 210 fps).  I'll be back out on the range on Monday so please let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

During your backswing you need to feel the right hand pushing away from you. Try to feel like the right arm is straightening while at the same time keeping the elbow on your rib cage. That should keep the bend at your elbow closer to a 90* angle.

Also, you are setting up with your hips too level. Your belt buckle should be looking more at the ball than at the horizon. To accomplish that you need to bend more at the waist, rather than with your back. You can take a club and lay it across your belt loops and then push back, and that should help you get into that position.

Once you get done with that you need to start working on getting the hips more lateral. On the golf evo youtube channel Dave has a great drill that you should work on. Its called the post drill I think.

Originally Posted by cbrian

During your backswing you need to feel the right hand pushing away from you. Try to feel like the right arm is straightening while at the same time keeping the elbow on your rib cage. That should keep the bend at your elbow closer to a 90* angle.

Also, you are setting up with your hips too level. Your belt buckle should be looking more at the ball than at the horizon. To accomplish that you need to bend more at the waist, rather than with your back. You can take a club and lay it across your belt loops and then push back, and that should help you get into that position.

Once you get done with that you need to start working on getting the hips more lateral. On the golf evo youtube channel Dave has a great drill that you should work on. Its called the post drill I think.

@ cbrian (mainly), do you think that the swing is looking better though?  I feel like I've made improvements but want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

It definitely looks like its taking shape. I mean you still have problems, but it certainly looks more athletic. If you get the chance I would definitely go see Dana (Long Beach). He would get you where you want to be much, much faster.

Originally Posted by cbrian

Here are some images to hopefully help with this. The angle in your right arm at the top of the backswing should look something like this:

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 4.png

If you have trouble implementing this change, you can always look into getting swing extender , a cheap training aid designed specifically for this problem.

Constantine

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned your grip, which is about as strong as I've seen.  This could be why you take the club back so far inside, then come over the top on the downswing.  Looks like you hit a lot of pull shots.  A weaker grip may help you with that.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned your grip, which is about as strong as I've seen.  This could be why you take the club back so far inside, then come over the top on the downswing.  Looks like you hit a lot of pull shots.  A weaker grip may help you with that.

Grip is something that I've noticed, but I think that there are more important things for me to work on right now... I took some new video today... worked on not letting my arm collapse so much in the backswing and to shorten the swing overall.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

Sorry I didn't have a ton of time - I hope these are helpful:

th1.jpg

th2.jpg

BTW, not the best choice of words in the first image (your right elbow doesn't straighten too quickly, and any "casting" is too early), so just look at the image and then the description in the second.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Quote:

Grip is something that I've noticed, but I think that there are more important things for me to work on right now... I took some new video today... worked on not letting my arm collapse so much in the backswing and to shorten the swing overall.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance for the help.

I would really disagree with the idea that there are more important things than the grip.  It is the only connection you have to the club, and influences your swing right from the start.  I agree with shortening your backswing, you'll notice it points far to the right of your target at the top.

Quote:

Quote:

I would really disagree with the idea that there are more important things than the grip.  It is the only connection you have to the club, and influences your swing right from the start.  I agree with shortening your backswing, you'll notice it points far to the right of your target at the top.

I realize that you disagree with this... but at this point there are other things that need to be worked on in my swing first.  I realize that the grip is the only connection to the club and because of that, I believe, that it should be comfortable... this is what is comfortable to me and as I said before, there are more important things.  If there are other things that you think I should work on, go ahead and let me know, but I think we can stop talking about the grip...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

I realize that you disagree with this... but at this point there are other things that need to be worked on in my swing first.  I realize that the grip is the only connection to the club and because of that, I believe, that it should be comfortable... this is what is comfortable to me and as I said before, there are more important things.  If there are other things that you think I should work on, go ahead and let me know, but I think we can stop talking about the grip...

th85, I'm going to go against my usual trend and suggest you change it. Just weaken it a little and move on. It's not that hard and in your case it is causing issues with your swing, including getting under plane at P2 (which doesn't help to keep your swing short at all - you'll re-route and cross the line).

You're in the 10% where a quick grip change matters.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!