IGNORED

Sorry ...i didn't see the drop zone...

Uncle Lau
Note: This thread is 4937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a game with Old Boys last game at Pulai Spring, Johore Bahru......

Player A hit into the pond in a long par 3 180m. The group than proceed forward, Player A didn't see the drop zone and played a extra ball with 1 stroke penalty near the spot the ball went into the pond.

As we reach the green, we discover the drop zone !!

Can A played from the second shots by the pond or must he play from the drop zone !!!!????

We are just playing a social game

I'm not sure of the official rule but in a friendly game I'd let Player A rehit with no additional penalty from the drop zone. Pick up the other ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he's asking the opposite? Anyway, since he dropped and hit, that would be the ball he has to finish with, right? Of course, you what you allow in a friendly game depends entirely on how friendly you want to be :P

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

If the course required you to use the drop zone, then I'd say yes, he should have rehit. Since he'd already played I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I have an issue with a drop zone which takes all or most of the hazard out of play, or allows you to play from closer to the hole than where your ball crossed onto the hazard. The Rules of Golf frown on such things unless there is no other option.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If the local rules require the drop zone then you must follow the rule. If it is optional then if he took a proper drop from the hazard then that ball is in play.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If the course required you to use the drop zone, then I'd say yes, he should have rehit. Since he'd already played I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I have an issue with a drop zone which takes all or most of the hazard out of play, or allows you to play from closer to the hole than where your ball crossed onto the hazard. The Rules of Golf frown on such things unless there is no other option.

Drop zones are there to speed play. Par three's over water on a busy public course are a recipe for slow play and requiring a high handicap to drop at the point the ball crossed the hazard will lead to more lost balls and longer rounds. It's an expedient to speed up play.

Drop zones are there to speed play. Par three's over water on a busy public course are a recipe for slow play and requiring a high handicap to drop at the point the ball crossed the hazard will lead to more lost balls and longer rounds. It's an expedient to speed up play.

It's still contrary to both the rules and the spirit of the game. The point of the rules where you are allowed to drop or place a ball is that you never get closer to the hole by any means except making a stroke. If a course is so worried about pace of play then maybe they shouldn't have designed the hole in such a way that it can't be reasonably played any other way. Poor design or poor management aren't an excuse for sidestepping the rules (in my opinion).

Rick

It's still contrary to both the rules and the spirit of the game. The point of the rules where you are allowed to drop or place a ball is that you never get closer to the hole by any means except making a stroke. If a course is so worried about pace of play then maybe they shouldn't have designed the hole in such a way that it can't be reasonably played any other way. Poor design or poor management aren't an excuse for sidestepping the rules (in my opinion).

Sorry, I'll disagree. The 17th at the TPC at Sawgrass comes to mind as a well known par three with a drop zone that's used in one of the top tournaments, at one of the best designed golf courses of all time. BTW, even if a drop zone is available, the option of re-teeing under the same penalty of one stroke is always available.....an option that, if memory serves me, Fred Couples used to make his infamous hole-in-three back in '99 or so.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sorry, I'll disagree. The 17th at the TPC at Sawgrass comes to mind as a well known par three with a drop zone that's used in one of the top tournaments, at one of the best designed golf courses of all time. BTW, even if a drop zone is available, the option of re-teeing under the same penalty of one stroke is always available.....an option that, if memory serves me, Fred Couples used to make his infamous hole-in-three back in '99 or so.

Great example.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Sorry, I'll disagree. The 17th at the TPC at Sawgrass comes to mind as a well known par three with a drop zone that's used in one of the top tournaments, at one of the best designed golf courses of all time. BTW, even if a drop zone is available,

That is correct. Even if use of that DZ were mandatory players have that option, and only one additional option and that is to play from the DZ. IMO mandatory use of a DZ is contrary to the spirit of Rule 26 but not contrary to the Rules (as that kind of Local Rule is sanctified by the Lords).

This brings us back to the original dilemma. The way I see it the solution depends on the Local Rule (as earlier pointed out by Fourputt). If the use of DZ is voluntary the player proceeded correctly and his dropped ball was the ball in play with one penalty (Rule 26). However, if use of DZ is mandatory, then the player has violated the Local Rule resulting to an additional penalty of 2 strokes due to breach of that particular Local Rule. Furthermore, this may also be a serious breach in which case the player must drop a ball into the DZ and continue from there, playing his 5th shot.

Look again. The drop zone doesn't get you closer to the hole than where the ball crosses into the hazard. And you still have to hit over the water.

Rick

• Administrator
Look again. The drop zone doesn't get you closer to the hole than where the ball crosses into the hazard. And you still have to hit over the water.

Sure it does Fourputt. If you come up short of the island green the point at which it last crossed is still 130 yards or so from the hole, while the drop zone is much closer.

If you fly the green, then no, the DZ is not closer, but if you come up short it's much closer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Missing the drop zone is punishable by water boarding at my home course. Worse yet, hitting it in the water is good for ten lashings. I usually skip the par three's to be honest with you...

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Note: This thread is 4937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!