IGNORED

Advice needed on cutting across my body, badly!

Note: This thread is 4923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Towards the end of this summer I was really hammering the ball, hitting my driver comfortably about 290, with a very very slight cut...

Since then my swing sorta fell in and outta sorts, was shanking for a little while, and have seemed to get back on track, accept I've lost almost all ability to hit woods, esp driver. I can feel my arms cutting across my body and my swing finishes sort of up and away, instead of following through with the club near my back, I'm just not sure how to go about fixing this, but its quite frustrating... my tee shots are now looking like huge slices, or very short pull slices, advice appreciated, thank you

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

I've had this problem before and went back to hitting chips and pitch shits since they are just a smaller version of the full swing. Focus on technique and shoulder turn and hopefully that works for you, did for me.

Start out with hitting half speed or pitch shots. Make sure your arms are extending fully just after impact, and are moving the clubhead out away from the target line, not in towards your body. Practice this for a few balls, not caring what type of ball flight you have. Then once you feel like you can have this movement consistently, move up to a 3/4 speed full shot, again just focusing on the extension and club going away from your body. Then once you feel you have that motion intact, try actually making good contact and ball flight. Don't start making full swings until you have this motion engrained, then see if it helps. You are likely to revert back to some old habits, but it will still have some effect on your swing long term.

Your desire to change has to be greater than your desire to stay the same.

Hello, I hope this helps. The first thing I would check is your grip. Has it changed? Is it weaker? Make sure it is strong enough - at least 2 knuckles showing. Start by taking practice swings with the Driver about knee high off the ground - work on letting your arms and hands rotating counter clockwise. As soon as your club face stops rotating this way, there is a chance you get slice spin. Having worked with slicers most of my life, the problem I see is that the weekend warrior golfer is trying to make the ball go perfectly straight, thus creating no rotation. Unfortunately resulting in slice spin. Try getting the ball to hook. When you can hook a golf ball 100 times in a row - you got it! And it doesn't matter how much or little the ball hooks. As long as the ball is hooking you are on the right track. Hope this helps.

.....I can feel my arms cutting across my body and my swing finishes sort of up and away, instead of following through with the club near my back,......

Intersting... If I'm understanding this correctly, the shaft is kind of horizontal to the shoulders in the finish position vs. it being more verticle. Not exactly, but the positions are very different for me. The one that hits me in the back with a little recoil usually results in my good drives (little 5 to 10 yard fade). The one where the shaft wraps around my neck/upper back can be good (doesn't feel like it) or can call for a provisional.

Very general snippet, but I found it interesting. I was playing around with this during the summer and this article helped me understand it a little bit after the fact. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...tter-draw-fade I notice that when my plane is a little too flat, the weak straight fades and push fades end up showing up. What I figured out last time out was that my posture at address played an important roll. Sometimes a little too upright, sometimes not enough.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I too had an out to in or cut across the ball a little swing. In lessons it took mulitple instruction steps to get my swing to were it should be, still working on my swing too, but if you follow a swing model then you need to find out what you are doing thats different than the model. There are usually mutliple reasons why you are cutting across the ball and once you start to fix one part of your swing, it cleans up the swing path a little. Then when you go to the next step, that will clean it up a little more until you are following the swing model exactly and your swing is much more on plane.

I wouldnt of been able to fix my swing or swing plane without instruction thats for sure. They notice things that I would of never noticed and they are big flaws that make alot of sense when they point them out. They are usually pretty easy to fix as well.

throw a headcover on the ground just outside of the ball, and a few inches to the right. if you cut across, youll hit the headcover.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

throw a headcover on the ground just outside of the ball, and a few inches to the right. if you cut across, youll hit the headcover.

not nessasarly(sp. lol cant spell that word).Its a good swing drill to do but I dont think its going to fix your over the top move. I would be able to throw a headcover outstide the ball and a few inches to the right and still cut across the ball

Towards the end of this summer I was really hammering the ball, hitting my driver comfortably about 290, with a very very slight cut...

Sounds to me like you're opening your shoulders too soon. If you rotate your shoulders near the start of the downswing, there's nowhere the club can go except out to in, with your arms cutting across your body and finishing off to your left, rather than rotating through to your back. Work on making sure your lower body starts the downswing, with your shoulders (and arms, and hands, and club) lagging behind. Should help.

-Andrew

Note: This thread is 4923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!