IGNORED

My Swing (RIduffer)

RIduffer

I should have mentioned I am aimed at a flag on the left side of the range. Might that account for the camera angle? I did ask my friend to record on my toe line, and he was aware of my target. As for the chicken wing, I have had no luck trying to independently correct that flaw. It must be a compensation to try to correct the other 80 errors in my swing.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

I have been using V1 to analyze my swings. When I overlay my swing with pros, a few things really jump out: 1) The club head gets way inside on my takeaway/backswing 2) I am lifting arms at end of backswing (as mvmac noted) 3) In the finish, my arms go hard left across my body (no extension, chicky wingy).

Yeah the chicken wing is just an effect of the backswing. This drill would also be a good one to practice.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you @mvmac . I have been working on this, trying to keep the right elbow more in front of the chest. I have had some success doing this with slow motion swings...just trying to hit an 8-iron like 70 yards or so (usually goes much further though.) I have such a tendency to feel like I need that extra move at the end of backswing (over-swing, pulling right elbow behind me and/or lifting.) I think I need to really improve my practice routine: spend a lot of time doing these deliberate, slow motion swings to ingrain a new feel. I've spent too much time just noodling on the range trying to find some quick fix. Looking at signing up for Evolvr soon.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I have had some success doing this with slow motion swings...just trying to hit an 8-iron like 70 yards or so (usually goes much further though.)

Yep that's how you start to change it.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac should I also be working on your "Matt Kuchar Drill"?

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

@mvmac should I also be working on your "Matt Kuchar Drill"?

I don't think so, it's just a little inside the hands at A2. Camera is angled pretty high so it will exaggerate things. Just as the camera angle with the pic of KJ Choi distorts it the opposite way.

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you @mvmac . I worked on turning rates today (keep cranking the hips.) Hit some draws with the irons which was a nice change from my usual leaky fades. Wasn't able to video unfortunately. Like the feeling of getting more coiled and creating space for the arms.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I worked on turning rates today (keep cranking the hips.) Hit some draws with the irons which was a nice change from my usual leaky fades. Wasn't able to video unfortunately. Like the feeling of getting more coiled and creating space for the arms.

Nice, good to hear.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the poor quality video, but it's the only one I have of me hitting a shank. This shot keeps coming back to haunt me. Any suggestions?

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

11 hours ago, RIduffer said:

http://youtu.be/aYAI9uwil78

Sorry for the poor quality video, but it's the only one I have of me hitting a shank. This shot keeps coming back to haunt me. Any suggestions?

Shanks are usually a path issue, your club head being further out at impact.  You can try putting a second ball or head cover just outside the target ball. That forces you to keep the head on path.

Also, check your weight distribution on this type of shot. You should be more on the left side. A pitch/chip motion should be all about the pivot of your body on the downswing with very little arms and hands. Let the pivot move the club. That will help keep the path in the right slot and going out.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
On September 3, 2016 at 9:22 PM, RIduffer said:

Your hands are very close to your body at setup. So they likely have to go "out" a little bit at impact, which pushes the hosel out toward the ball.

Analyzr Image Export 50%.jpg

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas, thank you. I spent about 20 minutes chipping today on the practice green, then played 18 holes. Not a single hosel rocket. If you ever need a kidney or something, let me know.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

• Administrator
On September 7, 2016 at 11:59 PM, RIduffer said:

@iacas, thank you. I spent about 20 minutes chipping today on the practice green, then played 18 holes. Not a single hosel rocket. If you ever need a kidney or something, let me know.

Glad it helped. How about… https://thesandtrap.com/store/category/1-tst-supporter-options/ ? :-)

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On September 15, 2016 at 9:34 PM, iacas said:

Done. Worth every penny.

This advice has held up. I've played 5 rounds since, including a state tournament, and only hit one shank (awkward stance with ball in deep rough.)

I'm glad I used video, because I thought I was toe-shanking until I saw this. Thanks again @iacas.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 9/18/2016 at 0:36 PM, RIduffer said:

This advice has held up. I've played 5 rounds since, including a state tournament, and only hit one shank (awkward stance with ball in deep rough.)

I'm glad I used video, because I thought I was toe-shanking until I saw this. Thanks again @iacas.

Great to hear! Awesome. Thanks for providing an update.

• 5 years later...

Hi. I haven’t been active on the forum in years, and I haven’t played much golf either. 5yo daughter sidetracked me! Looking to get back to working on the swing.

I posted some swings labeled with different feels I go to. Not sure if any feels are “better” or just barking up the wrong tree altogether.

My game is still about the same: 7hcp, driver is steady, struggle with irons (accuracy and distance with 4-7 irons is particularly weak.) Putting and chipping fluctuates depending on how often I play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Do you have any face on views? Also, do you have video in slow motion?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Do you have any face on views? Also, do you have video in slow motion?

No, but I can take some FO and DTL clips in slow motion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons