IGNORED

My Swing (haddockd)

haddockd
Note: This thread is 4495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I have, somehow, picked up a habit over the last 3 weeks of hitting the ground before the ball. I have tried the following to try and fix this, but none has worked:
Shift weight sooner/later
Less/more knee bend
Keeping head back
Weight further back on feet/further front on feet

I have a charity event coming up and would really like to clear this up before then. Anything you may have would be helpful. I am mostly happy with my swing, if I could just hit the ball flush.

Here is the video:

I was having the same issue after a few rounds of misery I changed up my stance. I bent my knees a bit more made sure I was balanced and moved my ball position. I also have been making sure I keep my left arm straight and of course head still and on the ball. I also added a more pronounced waggle. It seems to have worked my last few rounds I have been making great contact.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

your head (and shoulders) shift to your rear leg on the backswing and never get far enough forward on the downswing.  Because your arms are attached to your shoulders and your club attached to your arms, you will hit behind the ball regularly.  To hit the ball first more consistently, try feeling your left hip moving forward on the backswing and keep your head over the ball.  Then on the forward/downswing push with your legs and straighten/extend your legs as quickly as you can.  At the same time--try holding onto your right wrist hinge longer.

Doing all these things  moves the swing bottom more forward, thus more likely to hit the golf ball before the big earth ball.

--keeping hips forward (they probably won't actually move forward on the backswing, but you'll have less swaying)

--keeping head more centered in backswing

--pushing hips forward and straightening legs

--maintaining right wrist hinge longer

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

As I was watching the video, it seemed that every time you may have hit the ball kinda chunky, your head dropped an inch or two.  Watch the bricks in the background as you go on your downswing,  you can see your head moves down a brick and a half which is certainly enough to make you hit the ball fat.  Concentrate on keeping the head steady.  You also don't have much of a hip turn on your backswing and then you fully turn them before you even move your hands at the beginning of the downswing. The hips should move first, but they shouldn't turn as much as you made them turn, and as well rotate the hips on the backswing.  It'll help maintain central balance over the ball, and reduce head movement as well.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all of your prompt attention and replies! So, I added what I think is "lag" (my hands are in front of the ball at impact and I hold my wrist hinge longer), and I no longer hit behind the ball.

I have added a video of my new swing. Any pointers or helpful tips would be great. Will be going to the range soon to try them out.

looking better. you are headed in the right direction

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 5 months later...

Hello Helpful Golfers!

I have been plagued with slices and pushes as of late and I figured out that I am an early extender. I have mostly resolved this (work in progress) and my pushes have mainly disappeared. The "only" issue that I can see if that my hands do not fully "roll over" until well after the club head is past my foot.

I do not make any conscious effort to move or manipulate my hands or lag or anything of the sort. This is where they just naturally roll over. I think this is a large part of my slice problem as I do not think my swing plane is all that bad. I have posted a video below. Fairly short, but it is a pitching wedge and 5 hybrid DTL and Caddie. The caddie view is the one mainly for watching the hangs roll over late.

Can you see any reason why my hands roll over so late? I am fairly happy with my swing so if I can fix this I think my game would be pretty solid.

OH, I forgot to mention, my head moves back on these swings which makes my front foot come up a little in the vids. This does not happen in my normal swing. I was simply watching the clubhead in relation to my swing plane. The hands issue still persists when my head is stable. Just figured I would throw that tidbit out there.

Any takers on my disobedient hands?

Video:

Hi All,

I would like to thank those who read my previous post. I appreciate your time. I now have a new question. I also recorded my actual swing (without looking at the club).

What i noticed today shocked me... It appears I stop rotating my hips and shoulder just before impact all the way until the club face is as high as my head. This is my interpretation of it anyways. Can you see below and suggest some pointers? I think it would help my game significantly.

The biggest thing I notice is you're turning your head.  Your head should be still as possible and eyes are on the ball.  If your head is turning right along with your shoulder, this means you're not leaning over enough with a straight back.  I can't tell from this video, but if you're hunching over your shoulders force your head to turn.

Your head should always be straight and eyes looking down.  Also, it seems your arms are tense and you're locking your elbows.  During your stance loosen up your shoulders and arms, then relax then before swinging.

Ogio Grom
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0   |   Woods:
TaylorMade V Steel
Irons:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-AW   |   Putter: TaylorMade Rossa

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So I changed 3 things and it has cleared up my over the top move and also helped my left hand to roll over more naturally (still a little left to be desired though).

1) I tucked my right elbow and ensure it points to my right hip. Nothing forced, just an easy move to keep me on plane.

2) Drop my arms at the top to get them into the slot. This was HARD for me because I have always been a "puller" with my left arm.

3) I was trying to control the wrist angle with my left wrist. No wonder it couldn't roll over. I allow my right wrist to maintain the lag and now the left wrist only controls the club face.

Just thought I would add my experience.

• 3 months later...

Update:

After months of work, I am FINALLY playing better. Swing speed is around 110 MPH with driver, carrying 270-ish. My misses tend to be slight pushes.

Would love any additional feedback on further improving my swing...

Note: This thread is 4495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!