IGNORED

Wedge help please

Jaywun
Note: This thread is 4875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got 2 Cleveland cg12 wedges. Fathers day gift 2 yrs ago. Well I never actually liked them. They feel light and clicky at impact. Kinda hard to explain. Anyways a buddy of mine was chipping today and I notice he has older Cleveland wedges (real old actually) I ask to try them out and immediately notice how much heavier and solid they felt. They cut thru the turf clean and ball contact like butter. I dont know if its the head or shaft or both but I'm pulling the trigger right away on new wedges. BUT, they dont make them anymore. So what new wedges have the same heavy solid feel at impact. I dont think they'll let me hit a bunch at my local golf shop. If they do then no problem. If I spend 2 or 3 bills on new wedges I wanna love 'em. Anyways what are the denser heavier feeling wedges? The Vokeys look nice but will they feel as solid as forged? All input appreciated, thanks

I use the cg12s and love them. The weight of the vokeys is why i decided not to get them. To me, they felt heavier and i didn't like that. Try them out. I think you will find that they are what you are looking for.

Bag: Callaway Org 14 Extreme Cart Bag
Driver: Taylormade R9 460 10.5
Woods: Nike SQ 3 Wood
Hybrids: Walter Hagen AWS 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Diablo Edge 4-AWWedges:Wedges: Cleveland CG12 56 and 60Putter: Nike Method 001:Ball: Bridgestone Tour B33-RX and Nike One Vapor

If you didn't know already Cleveland wedges are not forged either. Don't pay too much attention to forged and cast, most people wouldn't be able to tell anyways. Heavier feelings in my opinion would be Mizuno's and Nike's. Cleveland's CG12's I think are one of the nicest looking and feeling wedges out there FWIW.

« Keith »

Cg12's were a forged wedge I believe.

Try out the Nike Vr's brought some last night! Worked wonders on the course today!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Vokeys are notorious for being heavy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been playing the Callaway X Forged wedges and really like them... I find them to be pretty heavy (in a good way).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Vokeys are notorious for being heavy.

Guess it's a person to person thing because I find the Vokeys lighter than the Mizunos.

I've been playing the Callaway X Forged wedges and really like them... I find them to be pretty heavy (in a good way).

Agreed. Think the heavier shafts in the Cally X-forged and Nike wedges play a factor in the heavier feel.

« Keith »

Vokey's are heavy...ish compared to the field

i think when deciding on a wedge, deciding on a bounce that fits you is just as important too
i am a digger, so a higher bounce wedge suits me better - 14* on my 56 and 10* on my 60
with such a high bounce on a LW, i still have no problem opening the face a little if a need to...but 60 is usually plenty enough

as well what shape of head you like
if you like a certain wedge but it doesnt feel heavy enough for you, lead tape will do the trick
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

i have a cleveland wedge, 2 nike wedges and a vokey, the vokey is the heavyest out of them but i really like my nike sv wedge but its all a personal thing! You need to go someplace where they will let you test them so you dont waste any cash!

ZL Driver 10.5 Voodoo stiff shaft
F speed 3 wood stiff shaft
909 H Rescue
AP2 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Forged 55 SV 58 SM 60 Tour action 64 Newport 1.member of www.shirlandgolfclub.co.uk

Man I guess Vokeys being heavy is not up for debate, guess I'm the only one that thinks they are on the lighter end. Maybe I am so accustomed to their weight after playing two seasons with them. I tested the 52, 56, and 60 Mizuno MP-T wedges but after the trial runs they felt head heavy and the feel was a bit dead to me. I'm very confused about my conception of Vokey's now.

« Keith »

I tend to agree mizzys are heavier then Vokeys.

And wow Cg12's feeling amazing considering they are not forged :P

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I think your buddy is playing the classic 588s. You can find them some in real good shape if you look. There are guys on tour that still have these in their bags. They were a tour staple for a long time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I second. These wedges are amazing. Spin is incredible with my 60*.. I've had it for a year and can still spin back a 30 yard shot 3 feet or so. Anyways, they are heavy compared to my Vokey and Z TP, so maybe they will fit you perfectly. Definately try them out. Mack Daddy grooves are stoooopid.

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

Nope they are cast from soft carbon steel.

Yes. Since the CG10 model, Cleveland has used CMM process for the steel in its wedge heads, and subsequent iron sets. CMM process suspends "microscopic carbon spheres" in the steel, with the goal - according to promo material - of producing both softer feel and more solid clubhead. For details:

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_cmm.html BTW, I played an X Forged 56.14 sand wedge until I picked up the 54 + 58 this fall. Am trying to see if the CG14s will work as a "team" in short game. May still use the XForged if I'm facing really fluffy sand.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think your buddy is playing the classic 588s. You can find them some in real good shape if you look. There are guys on tour that still have these in their bags. They were a tour staple for a long time.

I bought a really nice Cleveland RTG 588 56 on 3balls.com..It was in really good shape

Note: This thread is 4875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!