IGNORED

Workout programs

Note: This thread is 4828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf swing is a full body effort, But if i had to say,

Lower Back, Gluts, hamstrings, Quads, Abs, Obliques, Lats... Basically from your middle back to your knees. This is were all the power and stability int he golf swing comes from.

Though, another overlooked area, Ankles and Wrists. The joints taking the brunt of all the force. The joint that connect you to the ground, and the joints that connect you to the golf club. Alot of people can't get through rough because they have weak wrists, or can't swing in balance because of bad ankles.

Just practice balancing on one leg, you be surprised how hard it is to do. Then slowly add in movements, and if you dare try balancing on a folded work out mat (be careful)

Wrists, just take a 5lb weight and hold it with an overhand grip, palm facing down, and bring your hand up. Then flip palm up and bring your hand towards you. The final one, is hold your hand face down and rotate up 90 degrees. Don't over do it, just a small amount of work helps out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every arm workout builds forearms. I've seen big changes in my forearms and I rarely do them specifically. When you do pull ups, reverse anything it really nails them. To me that is the most important muscle in golf. You can only use a fast core if you can hold on to the club.

And the surprising thing I've found is how much excercises hit other parts of your body. Pull ups hit the core, so does squats. I've noticed my stomach getting much stronger and I admittly neglected my core until the last month or so. It is my least favorite part of my body to work.

Brian

Check out a program called Core Performance. It focuses on your core (obvious from the title) and all the other stabilizer muscles in your body. I think it is perfect for about any sport. They also have a condensed version called Core Performance Essentials for those that are strapped for time or maybe just don't want/need all of the other stuff in the big book.

yep ur a srtong dude

I actually am not a long hitter, I usually hit it 230. Sometimes get it out 260, sometimes it falls short at 210.

Driver: Taylormade R7
Wood: taylormade burner 3 wood
Hybrids: Jack Nicklaus 3 hybrid
Irons: Taylormade R9 TP 3-pw
Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

I've never looked into golf fitness programs, but just working out in the gym has really helped my game. I feel stronger all around and have more stamina, especially on the back-9. I think just following a well-rounded weight-training routine, working out all the major muscle groups plus Abs (yes, I said ABS!) and doing it 3-4x per week can really boost your game. Of course, one caution - if you do a strong work-out a day or two before you hit the links, you may be sore. Just keep at it though, and you'll figure out the balance that works for you. Enjoy! /Dan

About a month ago I began doing a 30-minute head-to-toe stretching routine daily. I get warmed up and ready to hit a lot sooner, and after a two-hour session at the range, I don't walk away stiff or sore.

I do balance exercises with a medicine ball, too.

Strength? Sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, and there's always a squeeze toy in my hand when I watch TV.

• 2 weeks later...

When I hear questions about fitness and strength as it pertains to golf, the real queastion is how to get more distance?  The recurring phrase I hear is "Core Muscle Group".  The theory is your strength and power radiate from the center out to the extremeties.  Mayoclinic.com has an excellent slide show workout for this.

Well all power comes from the ground up, really golf is a complete body game.. So just doing a total body workout will help..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been doing Moshka hot yoga at least three times a week ( a few weeks as many as 5 or 6 times) since the beginning of November. I am now finding a huge difference in my balance and stability in my golf swing.

I still run for cardio and play hockey 2 or 3 times a week, but the yoga has been great for stretching, stability/balance, and core strengthening. I would recommend it to anyone, especially as you get up there a bit.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

• 3 weeks later...

Great post and loads of help and good information. This is something I am looking into more this season. Cheers All

The schoolteacher was taking her first golfing lesson. "Is the word spelt p-u-t or p-u-t-t?" she asked the instructor. "P-u-t-t is correct," he replied. "Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."

I think if you could do one exercise or workout regimen, it would be yoga...maybe 45-60 minutes every other day...balance/flexibility/strength.

Ping Rapture 12* Aldila Stiff
Ping Hybrid 19* Aldila Stiff
Power Bilt "Scotch Blades" Steel Stiff 3-PW
Ping Eye-2 SW
Ping Anser Putter

If you are looking for some good workouts that will help improve many aspects of your golf game, check out U9 Golf.  They have blog on their website from a Re Max Long Drive Competitor.  He goes over what he does in the weight room to get ready for the tee box.

• 2 weeks later...

I do Bodypump 2-3 times a week, focus on the core back and abs and leg muscles, has given me more balance throughout the swing and more consistency.  A friend of mine went to one of those Titleist courses, did no favors to his golf though.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_junki View Post
Being fit, while not a necessity for golf, definitely helps.

Which muscle group is the most important in the golf swing?

I would say the core -- core strength is critical for balance and stability through the swing.  One very easy exercise I do a lot is planks -- you don't need to go the gym to do it and it simultaneously strengthens your core and your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimsmith View Post
p90x not really geared towards golf but it's a hard workout that will help a lot if you follow the program.

another vote for P90X. the yoga workout alone will help your flexiblity tremendously.

I have to agree. I have been doing the classic version for a month now and before I started i could only do a 3/4 swing due to not being real flexible  and now I can can do a full swing. It does require more time during the week because most programs are 1 hour except for yoga which is 1 1/2 hours. its also a 6 day a week program with Optional 7 day Stretch  disc. Being Winter i am doing the 6 day and once golf season hits I will probably do 3-4 a week really focusing on Yoga and Stretching just to keep it until next off season.

It really does hit everything if you do the 6 day a week program.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished P90X last week. Incredible workout, completely changed my body composition. I can't wait for the snow to melt to see what kind of impact it's had, but I definately feel it will effect my stamina the most. I took on the challenge specificly because when walking, I would be gassed by the 14th hole and my round would fall apart. I'm moving on to snow-shoeing with weights in a backpack, and trying to decide between the R11 and the 910. I recommend P90X to anyone that wants to really make a physical change: be warned, though, it's a commitment, and if you're not in decent shape already, the first couple weeks will kill you!

Note: This thread is 4828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!