IGNORED

Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022?

Bryan SD2
Note: This thread is 4887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So FIFA decided to give the World Cup (which provides even non-soccer fans of all nations a quadrennial excuse to put aside everyday worries in celebration of alcohol and girl-watching) to a country...

• the size of a thumbtack;
  • which consists of one city and 99.9% desert;
  • where temperatures reach 120°F in June and July;
  • where drinking in public is banned;
  • and women are required to be covered from head to toe at all times.
Never mind the magnitude of brazenly-transparent bribery conducted by the Qatari government to secure the Cup, the improbability of Doha having the transportation and hospitality infrastructure to cope with the entirety of the world's largest sporting event taking place within its city limits, or that the necessary playing of every match at night will cut the live broadcast window for the games so much that the Cup will be terrible even for those staying at home. They're going to ruin the World Cup by making it all about the soccer.
Also I heard that the fact that Quatar is in Asia disqualifies an Asian nation from hosting the next year, which bodes well for the US should we decide to make a push for it. I guess Russia is considered Europe, even though isn't most of it (land-wise, at least) in Asia?

It works by federation. Russia is a member of UEFA, as are Turkey, Israel, and number of former Soviet republics geographically located in Asia. Australia recently moved into the Asian Football Confederation because the lack of competition in the Oceanic federation hampered its international prospects; the non-Spanish-speaking entities of South America (French Guiana, Guyana, and Suriname) are allied with CONCACAF because their historical ties are with other former Caribbean colonies instead of their geographic neighbors.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Good answers dipper....

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

It's actually spelled "Qatar." No "u."

You're right, I fixed the title.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it sucks, we ( England ) had the strongest bid for 2018, we have everything in place already, it was the best financial bid which would have made the most money! We also have a very genorous government which let anyone into the counrty and give them a house and benifits! ( much to my annoyance! ) I Agree that FIFA is corrupt, why else would they let a racist country like Russia hold the world cup! It will be very intresting to see what racial abuse black people get and what FIFA will do about it? Probabaly nothing!

ZL Driver 10.5 Voodoo stiff shaft
F speed 3 wood stiff shaft
909 H Rescue
AP2 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Forged 55 SV 58 SM 60 Tour action 64 Newport 1.member of www.shirlandgolfclub.co.uk

Qatar's record on women's rights isn't exactly solid either. Black players have problems in Russia, big problems. Not the the UK and the USA don't have issues, but freedom and individuals rights are far, far down the list.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

There will be many new stadiums going up in russia after 2022 ;)

I don't think so. Russia will have a little footie tournament of their own BEFORE Qatar's. I forgot what it's called though. I know it has 2018 in the title.....

Rumors now floating around (with some big names, Beckenbauer being one) in support of a WINTER World Cup in 2022. So the, only 105 degrees and not 130. Nice.....

Note: This thread is 4887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!