IGNORED

My Swing (Chicago Lefty)

Chicago Lefty
Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Spent some quality time at the range today. Worked really hard on getting the club on plan in the backswing. Came up with a swing thought of high and wide. Basically I had to feel like I was adding substantial width to my backswing along with getting the club higher. This resulted in some very nice results not only on video but overall contact and ball flight. Very consistent ball striking with this swing thought...

Here's a video of me hitting 8i, 6i, 4i, and driver. Opinions welcome!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the culmination of a few months of work during the offseason.  Overall I'm happy with the progress I made.  I guess we'll see how it holds up on the course tomorrow.

Two things I'd like to continue to work on is stabilizing the club head and maintaining my tush line.

As always, comments welcome!

It looks like your still shifting your weight forward too early on the downswing, which is promoting your outside in swing path, try and turn your hips on your downswing without shifting too much weight forward and it might help stabilize your clubhead at the top of your swing...

Funny thing, I was planning on heading to the Highland Park Dome when i got back for spring break.  Great place for practice during winter.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the tip. I do tend to move forward all at once rather than with a lateral hip slide. Something to add to the list... That's actually the dome in Addison at Links and Tees....

Originally Posted by iSlice Left

Thanks for the tip. I do tend to move forward all at once rather than with a lateral hip slide. Something to add to the list...

That's actually the dome in Addison at Links and Tees....

Oh they look very similar, at least from the angle your cam is on.  Although since your handicap is round 7, you prolly have some sort of consistency, so I wouldn't worry too much about weight shifting unless the slice is really bad.  But, it may also help for more solid shots.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest and greatest swing. I feel like one of the last changes I need to make are the hips/tush line. I just can't seem to stop raising my left heel early. I'm not sure it's a hip thrust, but it definitely contributes to an OTT tendency and pulls.

Comments welcome!

Working on the hips.  Still come off my rear foot early, working on banking it more.  There is less thrust in this move and I personally like the way my transition looks compared to previous videos.  Much more of a 2 move.  Going to keep working on pulling the lead hip back and preventing my rear knee from moving towards the target.

Originally Posted by Chicago Lefty

Latest and greatest swing. I feel like one of the last changes I need to make are the hips/tush line. I just can't seem to stop raising my left heel early. I'm not sure it's a hip thrust, but it definitely contributes to an OTT tendency and pulls.

Comments welcome!

this one looked great.  much better position of the clubhead on the way back.

Colin P.

Another update, DTL and face on. Getting closer..

I think I've shallowed out my swing pretty well.  I was on a Trackman last weekend and I was far too steep with all of my irons.  The 2 move is helping me get more on plane.  Going to play 9 tomorrow and see what the turf interaction looks like.

• 1 year later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 3.8hc

My typical ball flight is: Draw/Straight

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/Driver Snap Hook

I've been playing the last two years with success but an inside takeaway that would cause me to come OTT.  I haven't had time to practice a lot this year, but I did make a swing change early on in the season that allowed me to start hitting a more consistent draw and added over a club of distance.  I added 15-20 yards to my driver by lowering the spin due to attacking the ball more from the inside.  My misses now are over draws/hooks mainly that I am starting to get control of.  I'm shooting 4-5 strokes higher than last season and my handicap is up a couple of points, but a lot of this is due to no short game practice.  Oh and the fact that I'm now capable of snap hooking the driver once or twice a round.  That's a miss I've never had.

Today was the first time I got my new takeaway on video and I was shocked at just how outside and upright it is. Comments welcome...

Videos:

Holy crap, you've been playing for 3 years, and you have a 3.8HC? Good god that is impressive. I hate you.

As to your swing, on the take away, it looks like you pick up the club ubrubtly, and it's too far in front of you. Looks like a weird angle. But then at the top your in a good position, and drop it down nicely on plane.

You should work on a smoother take away, lower, and parallel to your target line, with your toes.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I've been as low as 2, but haven't been practicing at all this season. The outside takeaway is basically an over correction of my previous flippy inside takeaway. As soon as I get it balanced out, I should be gtg.

• 8 months later...

Latest swing video...hitting everything pretty well. My misses are mainly from being lazy and not turn hard right. I hit a toe'y duck hook when I do that. I've also put on about 20lbs!  Time to get in the gym, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, even though all was well I had to tinker with my swing. Here is the new takeaway...I was able to get after it a bit more without fear of a big hook which was nice. I almost think my takeaway is a bit long and I come just a tiny tiny bit OTT.

Any opinions other than I need to lose some weight?  Lol

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!