IGNORED

Question for low handicappers who play/played with high handicappers

Tugglife2
Note: This thread is 4868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me..I enjoy playing with alot of higher handicapped guys.  I play in a weekly game and most of them are 7-18 handicappers, I can play my game and enjoy the round with these guys.

a few things that drive me crazy, from playing with others.

1.  Do not take yourself so seriously, last time I checked that Master's wasnt calling.  There is no need for banging your clubs, cart or strings of obsenities becasue you missed a 20 footer or did not stick it tight from 150 yds.  Enjoy the game and play within yourself.

2.  If I pull out a 3 wood and go for it 265 out....you do not have to match me, especially since it is you 3rd or 4th shot.

3.  When I hit a bad shot, for the love of God, do not give me advise!

4.  Keep the pace of play going.

5.  Know the rules of golf and understand how to score things.  I hate getting to the end of the round and some crazy score comes out of their mouth because they didnt count some of those pesky penatly strokes.

6.  Lastly, because I card a 68 or 69 on the round I am not ready for the Tour...of any kind!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Bigtank

For me..I enjoy playing with alot of higher handicapped guys.  I play in a weekly game and most of them are 7-18 handicappers, I can play my game and enjoy the round with these guys.

1.  Do not take yourself so seriously, last time I checked that Master's wasnt calling.  There is no need for banging your clubs, cart or strings of obsenities becasue you missed a 20 footer or did not stick it tight from 150 yds.  Enjoy the game and play within yourself.

2.  If I pull out a 3 wood and go for it 265 out....you do not have to match me, especially since it is you 3rd or 4th shot.

3.  When I hit a bad shot, for the love of God, do not give me advise!

4.  Keep the pace of play going.

5.  Know the rules of golf and understand how to score things.  I hate getting to the end of the round and some crazy score comes out of their mouth because they didnt count some of those pesky penatly strokes.

6.  Lastly, because I card a 68 or 69 on the round I am not ready for the Tour...of any kind!

You are my kind of guy...great points, especially #1 and #6.  With #6, they have no idea and you know that is not taking anything away from a +2 either.  In my regular group we have have from +2 to 7, and luckily everyone knows how to keep score or will ask if not sure.  In my backup group, I am low man and the guys are 12-18.  These guys are ultra sticklers for rules and are harsh.  I like that in a golfer!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm about a 9... so I guess I qualify.  I play with the guys I play with because of the kind of guys they are... not their score.  Last round I played the foursome was 78, 89, $1.03 and $1.05 or something like that.

Had a blast!

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtank

1.  Do not take yourself so seriously, last time I checked that Master's wasnt calling.

. . .  In my backup group, I am low man and the guys are 12-18.  These guys are ultra sticklers for rules and are harsh.  I like that in a golfer!

Just be aware that #1 and #5 are not always 100% compatible. If an 18 handicapper can't take on a 5.7 capper based on talent, he can always trot out the rulebook and ding him for something irrelevant. And since he's bleeding strokes left and right already, you might be tempted to cut him some slack. That group sounds like a real hoot.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As long as they play quick, I don't have a problem. And most high handicappers I know do just that when playing with me. It's the 15 handicapper that spends 2 minutes over each shot that I have a problem with.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Pace of play is the biggest issue in my experience.  I don't care what your handicap is, there's no excuse for s..l..o..w play.

Another biggie is when a high capper gets really upset every time they chunk a shot or something, even though it's obvious they're a weekend warrior.  I feel like saying (but never do of course), "I've been watching your play for an hour - what's the big surprise already ...".

By which I mean that golfers should not hold themselves to an unreasonable standard.  It's a very very difficult game to play consistently well, esp. if you don't play every day, so give yourself a break.  Enjoy the good shots you occasionally make and smell the roses.   Yesterday I didn't do well on the front nine but spent time watching a couple of turtles sunning themselves by a pond - without slowing the pace of play of course!

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!