IGNORED

Question for low handicappers who play/played with high handicappers

Tugglife2
Note: This thread is 4865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do any of the single digit handicappers out there play with high handicappers?  I'm talking about playing with guys that cannot break 100 more than once in a blue moon.  If you do play with these types, do you get frustrated playing with them and does it effect your game?  I ask because I've played with an old buddy of mine who played collegiate golf at Houston and while he was a good sport about it, I kept getting the feeling that he was very frustrated having to play with me.

I'm sure you'd rather play with good golfers on your level but do you go out of your way to avoid playing with us hackers?

im not a single handicapper, but i tend to flirt with breaking 80, and my biggest golf friend is a 63 year old that is lucky to break 100 on the first 12 holes. I dont get upset at all, in fact, he's a blast to play with, because he knows he isnt great, and acknowledges it. He plays at the pace he's comfortable with, lets me play at my pace, and asks advice frequently.

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

Im not answering on behalf of the low cappers, but i sometimes like playing with guys who have high h/caps. It releases a bit of pressure cos i dont care if i screw up the shot. But i always keep things in perspective, if they hit a bad shot i try to encourage them, say "bad luck, or next one". I remember when i was at that level, and of course im capable of hitting some ugly shots also.

I guess if you were a scratch golfer it could be painful to watch.

But also i can get a laugh out of some of the hackers shots, they end up in parts of the course ive never seen before. Take the game for what its worth, enjoyment. If hes not enjoying it, he wouldnt play with you right?

Every time I get paired with someone they seem to be a solid player and are always more than willing to give me some tips and seem to really enjoy offering advice to a new player.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I don't mind playing with high handicappers, provided they play smart (as in don't take up time for stupid reasons).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find it actually helps how I play. No one ever likes being the weakest link. So I try to really focus sometimes a bad shot cant be helped but oh well.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

back when I was a single digit, I didn't mind playing with real high handicappers at all.  The reason is when I was first starting out and shooting high scores, I would always get that 1 a$$ that would always blame me and get pissed off for their errant shots.  I vowed never to be like that and I pretty much held true to that at every level I was at.  Actually, just last week I was paired up with a person that was every bit of a 100 when he decided to quit after 16 holes.

Most of us started out the same way so why belittle someone for doing so

Steve

I would rather play with someone shooting 100 who is good company for the round, than a scratch player with an attitude that he's Gods gift to the golf world.

• Upvote 2

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Every time I get paired with someone they seem to be a solid player and are always more than willing to give me some tips and seem to really enjoy offering advice to a new player.

Sometimes i dont mind the advice if they are a friend.(the first thing i was told when I paid for lessons was not to listen to what anyone else tells me) But too many fake low cappers feel the need to give advice on everything. Honestly, my scores would be close to theirs if I played by their rules and was able to fluff up every ball I hit like they do.

A bit off topic but one of my favorite rules the older gentlemen at one club  play by is - if you hit it in the woods and find it, its a free drop. If you dont find it, then its a penalty and drop. Needless to say they always come out of the woods with something white and it is always theirs. It frustrates the hell out of a couple of the guys that want to play legit.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to play a lot with my close friends who barely break 100 which I didn't mind but I often found myself not concentrating as much. Usually because we are out having a good time more than taking golf seriously. My golf game didn't improve much during that time period. Late in the season I was golfing more with players better than me and of course that really got my game going. I do not mind playing golf with my close friends but I definitely need to mix in playing with better players.

« Keith »

being in arizona and the course i play i play alot with high cappers seams like im the youngest club member at 46 the ave age of most club members is 70+ so NO i dont mind at all

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

I'm not a single digit but I'm knocking on the door. I prefer not to play alone and will often ask whoever's on the 1st tee if I can join them. A lot of times guys will say "Oh, you don't want to play with us. We're no good and we don't want to hold you up." I always try to reassure them and tell them I'm not in a hurry and would enjoy their company. The only time I get frustrated is, like jamo said, when they hold up play for stupid reasons. Just because you're a high capper does not mean you have to play slow. You can shoot 110 and as long as you observe the basic rules of golf etiquette you can still get around the course without getting on my nerves.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I'm in AZ also.  I play alot with people that never shoot under 100.  I don't mind at all .....oh.......and I'm older then all of them!  I've been playing for nearly 3 years and I think some playing partners (people the pro shop put me with)  have broken 90 a few times.  Only one person I can remember shot in the 70's once.

I never give advise. I'm not qualified to say anything since I've never had a lesson nor been videoed.  I have no idea what 99% of the high handicappers are doing wrong.  I know only "my" swing.  Just because someone is a low handicapper does not mean they know what they or you or anyone else are doing wrong.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I have been fortunate I will always ask for a few pointers once I have gotten a feel for the person over the course of a few holes. Sometimes people just want to play so you do no speaking except the occasional nice shot. For the most part golfers are very friendly at least in my experience which I think also adds to my love of the game. Good people playing a sport and getting outdoors. Whats not to enjoy. To the post about asking if they can join in, that happens to me all the time as I am usually a solo player. I always say sure but let them know that I have only been playing a few months, I give the option that they can take the hole and I will wait or I will be more than happy to play along with.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

It depends on the player. If someone is used to playing poorly he likely won't get upset after hitting a less than a perfect shot. He also won't ask for advice which I don't care to give. Why would I care why you're hitting it poorly? Am I your coach?

I'd rather play with a poor player having his typical day than a somewhat good player who's having a bad day.

I'd also rather play with someone who I have to hustle to keep up with without feeling rushed. If you're gonna play awful, at least do it quickly.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not a single digit, but I am knocking on the door, I play in my club's league and I think I amd the youngest player @ 46. I don't mind playing with the Higher handicaper at all.The only time I do get frustrated is when the guy is an A**hole, and they insist on having a mulligan after a duffed shot that only went 50yds and hits the same duff again and wants to drop yet another ball, yeh, we all hit duff shots now and again and maybe drop another ball, but not one after the other when the group behind are waiting.

I have friends that come over from the UK on a regular basis and most of them shoot in the high 90's low 100's regularly, we play skins, stableford, bongo you name it, all with handicap, and it is allways fun.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

I'm a scratch and play golf with both low and high Handicaps.  I always say it like this I play with the better players at my club and its great for the game but I play with my buddies who shot in the 100's and its great for my soul.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Note: This thread is 4865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!