IGNORED

Paint Fills

dhanson
Note: This thread is 3708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(Soft Music....  panoramic camera work.... birds chirping.... grill red hot, beer in hand.... others doing the yardwork for you...)

(voice)   A tradition unlike any other......

A little Paintfill the first week of April.....   Still a little bit of cleanup to do, but pretty much done.

SD2MastersBack.jpg

SD2MastersSole.jpg VokeyMasters.jpg

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say I learned one thing on this past job....

If you ever choose to simply PAINT OVER an area (I did when I painted my putter red and a soft yellow)... then you should perhaps NOT paint OVER the area again, even if the coverage for your color choices look good.  i.e. dark over a light color.  On my putter, the letters and Titleist logo were filling up with paint, millimeter by millimeter when I went OVER the old paint last time.  There simply did not seem to be enough room to lay down Green or white properly during this past project.

So I did a mini, quick removal (Q-Tip dabbed acetone based Nail Polish Remover) and scraped out as much as I could.  Probably got 80% of it in most areas.  The Green and White took much better at that point.  You could see gravity taking it all into the letters, grooves, etc.

Just a thought...

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I am planning to do some paint fill to customize my irons a bit just wondering what kind of paint to use so that it will last? Also... Have a Ping 3 wood that I love but has paint chipping along the back edge and other places. (Not real happy with Ping paint) I'd like to mask off and repaint the club myself, maybe a cool color just wondering if anyone has customized their clubs by repainting themselves?

So what type of paint is recommended for this application?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what type of paint is recommended for this application?

I used Tamiya Acrylic paint for my clubs. Put a little thinner in there because it seeps into the grooves better and also gives it a glossier finish.

Also, instead of using acetone, you can also use paint stripper. I used the Citristrip I got from Home Depot since it wasn't heavy on the fumes and didn't melt the ferrules. You do have to let it sit for a couple of hours, but it does work.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• 1 month later...

i'm giving this another go and repainting my Silver Scots. i bought another new bag , and need to repaint the 'ol Tommy Armour's to match the bag. i'm using some different products this time to hopefully make the process easier, and the results are turning out well. on my first attempt, i used straight acetone to remove the original paint. that didn't work out so well, and there was still some residual paint leftover in some of the hard to reach areas, which caused paint to flake off when i painted over them, especially on the sole of the club. i went with more of a gel product this time from Mendards.

this stuff works well, but doesn't get the paint off in one try. the first application will get the majority of the paint off, but there will still be leftover paint after it's rinsed off (i used an old toothbrush to work the stripper into the paint after letting the product sit on the surface of the club for 30+ minutes, then went underneath running water to get everything off). i ended up doing three or four applications before i got the clubs to a level of cleanliness that i was satisfied with. in my opinion, this type of product is certainly preferable to only using acetone.

i really like the "naked" look to the heads once all of the paint is gone. i'll probably end up painting the soles first and seeing if i like them painted alone before filling in the cavity text (i would imagine finding the right club in the bag with no paintfill would be difficult). if i end up repainting the text in the cavity, i'll probably stray away from the original paint slightly. "845s" will remain white, but i'll make the horizontal line black and paint "silver scot" red.

when i do start painting them, i'll be getting a few tipped applicator bottles to apply the paint as opposed to my old toothpick method.

edit: as an aside, the clubs in my signature are no longer current. those, along with the bag that these Silver Scots once matched, were stolen out of my trunk.

I have found the best thing to use is finger nail polish. It covers old paint if you don't feel like removing and cleans pretty easy with nail polish remover or acetone. I come to this conclusion by trial and error.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have found the best thing to use is finger nail polish. It covers old paint if you don't feel like removing and cleans pretty easy with nail polish remover or acetone. I come to this conclusion by trial and error.

would you happen to have a photograph of a club you've painted with nail polish? i'd be interested to see the results/how the paint wears with use.

would you happen to have a photograph of a club you've painted with nail polish? i'd be interested to see the results/how the paint wears with use.

Enough?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!