IGNORED

My Swing (The Gill)

The Gill
Note: This thread is 4105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit the ball fairly well. Came home with the video and compared it to Bennett hit his 17 shots in a row at 10% speed and I about cried... I wasn't even close, especially with the flying triangle...

So far I've watched the Stack and Tilt DVD 1 so that's the limit of my knowledge. Any observations or help would be appreciated!

Next time at the range I will:

1. Left foot rotated out (should help 2)
  2. Left knee moves towards target line (knee not over rotating should help 3)
  3. Restrict the hips, maybe keep keep right leg straighter
  4. Right shoulder rotates more down (I think the horizontal rotation contributes to the head turning at the top and throwing me off balance)
  5. Arms closer together
  6. Work on the flying triangle (Impact bag work)

Over all I was pretty bummed that it looked this bad, especially with the ball flying so well, but's exciting to be learning something new...

Exhibit 1: wad blown early. Need stiffer shafts or maintain right wrist angle. I'll go with the later. Snow on the ground = empty range.

Sequence 01.Still002.jpg

Exhibit 2: Looking like a baseball player

Sequence 01.Still001.jpg

Iron swing:

Driver Swing:

Old Swing:

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

You do some things really well.

Nice push forward with the hips into impact.  Good extension with the arms into impact.

Address:  ball is a bit back in your stance for a 7i.

Backswing:  your entire body and head moves back toward the rear foot.  Straighten the rear leg a bit more and tilt a bit more to the left as you turn back.  Don't restrict the hip turn--yours looks good, but I'd straighten the rear leg more as you turn to keep your hip plane more similar to your swing plane and shoulder plane.

Forward swing:  good hip movement--good push off and extension of the right leg, but looks really fluid and powerful (did you play professional baseball?)

Agree, keep working on maintaining flying wedge into follow through.

Please post a DTL (of the new swing)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks for the feedback Texas. Here is the DTL:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The Gill

Restrict the hips, maybe keep keep right leg straighter

Exhibit 1: wad blown early. Need stiffer shafts or maintain right wrist angle. I'll go with the later. Snow on the ground = empty range.

Two things. One, no on the hip restriction. They should turn on their inclined plane and they do for the most part. Do they over-rotate? Yes, because your left knee works backwards, not out over your left foot, and you over-rotate your shoulders as well.

Two, your shafts are fine. That's a camera trick seen on some cameras that scan - albeit very quickly - top to bottom.

Here are some images...

gill1.jpg

gill2.jpg

gill3.jpg

gill4.jpg

gill5.jpg

As to what I'd work on first?

1. Left knee pushing out over left foot.
  2. Pressure points 4 and 5.
  3. Push forward with the hips, keep the right arm flexed as long as possible on the downswing.

That's a good bit to start with.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

As to what I'd work on first?

Left knee pushing out over left foot.

Pressure points 4 and 5.

Push forward with the hips, keep the right arm flexed as long as possible on the downswing.

That's a good bit to start with.

Thanks for the feedback, by arm are you referring to the elbow or wrist joint?

• Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, by arm are you referring to the elbow or wrist joint?

Right elbow.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about and work on!

• Administrator

Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about and work on!

Sure, but one thing at a time (or two)... You'll get there sooner than you think.

Progress update. Forgot to set my camera to 60FPS... Working on the 3 things from Erik. Left knee is getting better but a lot further to go:

• Administrator

new_gill.jpg

If you had a cigar under your left armpit, and the pressure is a 3 at setup on the 1-10 scale, increase the pressure constantly throughout the backswing so that it's a 9 or so at the top of the backswing.

If you had a cigar under your left armpit, and the pressure is a 3 at setup on the 1-10 scale, increase the pressure constantly throughout the backswing so that it's a 9 or so at the top of the backswing.

Interesting... Not only is that other guy's (Wi?) left arm tighter, it appears his left elbow point is facing more downward. Is that an accurate observation?

How would you say this table should be filled out?

Position PP4 (Left Arm) PP5 (Right Arm)
Address 3 ?
Halfway Up 6? ?
Top 9 9?
Halfway Down 6? ?
Impact 3? ?
Arms Level Follow Through ? ?

Originally Posted by walk18

Still looks like your head is moving all over the place, and backwards at impact.

After talking Erik's golf wisdom and applying it to your observation, it seems I'm trying to take the club all the way by over torquing my torso. That over torquing seems to help kick the left knee in and throw my head off at the top... If I use less torso and keep my arms tight, hopefully I can fix the movement at the top. The standing up with my torso on the way down is another issue... Thanks for the interest, I'll work on it!

-PG

Oh, one other question. When watching Mike hit his 17 in a row video he does this little "Samurai sword block" at the end of his swing... I'm assuming it's because Mike is holding his lag better (and I'm still suffering from old flight laws telling me to release my right hand for a draw)

Samurai Mike ( CLICK FOR ANIMATED GIF ):

XLwfd.gif

Me

Swing.Still001.jpg

• Administrator

Interesting... Not only is that other guy's (Wi?) left arm tighter, it appears his left elbow point is facing more downward. Is that an accurate observation?

I wouldn't worry about that. You rotate a little bit too much early but I want to see how that changes (if it does) when you keep your hands on their plane.

I wouldn't fill out a chart. The goal is to feel that you're increasing the pressure throughout the backswing, not to quantify it into a chart... Also note that the pressure point will move. It's not your left armpit, it's your left upper arm against your chest.

After talking Erik's golf wisdom and applying it to your observation, it seems I'm trying to take the club all the way by over torquing my torso. That over torquing seems to help kick the left knee in and throw my head off at the top... If I use less torso and keep my arms tight, hopefully I can fix the movement at the top. The standing up with my torso on the way down is another issue... Thanks for the interest, I'll work on it!

Yeah, pretty much.

Originally Posted by The Gill

Oh, one other question. When watching Mike hit his 17 in a row video he does this little "Samurai sword block" at the end of his swing... I'm assuming it's because Mike is holding his lag better (and I'm still suffering from old flight laws telling me to release my right hand for a draw)

That's a part of it. The other part is that Mike is "braking" the club more quickly. That's a bit down the line. You'll find that as you do things you'll naturally shorten up a little... especially when you maintain your inclination on the follow-through more. Again, that's later on.

Dude, that's a really good metaphor.  I'll have to try that.  Too bad I have a rehearsal today, but I may be able to sneak to the range.

• Upvote 1

At the top my left arm is tight against my pec... The arm is almost "bouncing" off the pec at the end of my backswing. Is this normal?

Assuming I'm 60/40 at the top of the back swing with tight PP4 and PP5, what is the feel as I begin the backswing? Before the PP4/PP5 change it really felt like I was moving forward with my hips, now it feels like the arms are starting much sooner. Is this correct?

Also with the change, my right arm doesn't feel like it straightens until about 30 degrees after impact. Is this good or bad?

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't fill out a chart. The goal is to feel that you're increasing the pressure throughout the backswing, not to quantify it into a chart... Also note that the pressure point will move. It's not your left armpit, it's your left upper arm against your chest.

• Administrator

Perry,

Quote:

At the top my left arm is tight against my pec... The arm is almost "bouncing" off the pec at the end of my backswing. Is this normal?

Assuming I'm 60/40 at the top of the back swing with tight PP4 and PP5, what is the feel as I begin the backswing? Before the PP4/PP5 change it really felt like I was moving forward with my hips, now it feels like the arms are starting much sooner. Is this correct?

Also with the change, my right arm doesn't feel like it straightens until about 30 degrees after impact. Is this good or bad?

1. Look at the Charlie video. It should slide from below and left of your nipple to near your nipple. If it's "bouncing" and I understand what you mean by "bouncing" then perhaps you've not slid it while maintaining or gradually increasing pressure. Charlie's arm doesn't "bounce" but at the same time I don't know that your word is giving me the same picture as you intend, so just don't worry about it and put it on video.
  2. Your hips still start the move down. Your arms might feel like they start sooner because you over-rotated before.
  3. For you, good. Your right arm got too straight and it negatively affected how much axis tilt you could get.

BTW, your camera position, particularly DTL, was much better in the later videos. On your toe line is good.

Lots of practice swings with the Momentus with tees and towels under my armpits. Here is the result:

1. Still could use more pressure on PP4 and PP5
  2. Still need to make sure the left knee doesn't come back towards the middle of the stance which is contributing to the over rotation of the hips and torso
  3. I could probably make a better lateral move towards the target with my hips

Overall the results are getting much, much better. I can feel the difference in the contact with my irons and the feeling is swinging the club more with my core than arms.

Note: This thread is 4105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!