IGNORED

How to have your irons sit 5 degrees open like Ben Hogan? The opposite of offset?

Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by HogansSecrets

Quote:

Originally Posted by delav

Quote:

1) I would like to take the left side out of play 2) If the greatest ball striker of all time used 5 degree open clubs, I would like to try them. Everyone should want to try them. SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE THEM. I cant understand why it would be soooo hard to accomplish this.

The solution to taking the left side out of play should not be opening your clubs 5 degrees.  Furthermore, the bounce and grind of your irons were not designed to sit this open.  You could rotate the clubhead on the shaft (or grip for a near identical effect) but they wont sit naturally at address like this at all.

I'd talk to a pro about your swingpath and impact mechanics before you do something like this.

Ben Hogan did grind his clubs to a negative bounce: while the solution to taking the left side out of play does not lie soley in one place, certainly it was a piece of what made hogans fade so great. I can hit a fade, but am after a specific type fade: the ben hogan fade.

Ben would tell you to go hit 10,000 balls.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 1 year later...

Late to this but hope this helps.

Based on a discussion I had with a pro who knew Hogan in So. Calif. and actually handled Hogans clubs, the clubs had a reminder grip that was installed with the reminder at about 4:30 to 5:00 (looking down on the butt end of the club).  Hogan would grip the club with the reminder in the correct position and then rotate the clubface square at address.  At impact the hands would come back to square and it is about impossible to over rotate your hands and hook the ball.  Hope this helps.

Ben Hogan did grind his clubs to a negative bounce: while the solution to taking the left side out of play does not lie soley in one place, certainly it was a piece of what made hogans fade so great. I can hit a fade, but am after a specific type fade: the ben hogan fade.

Wait, you play to a 12hc and you're looking for a specific type of fade?

dak4n6

For experiments sake I took weights used to balance tires (on the advice of a member of this forum) and stuck them to the toe of my clubs to see if I could reduce the draw bias on my irons.  It absolutelty worked for me and it was confirmed because over time the adhesive would wear off and the weight would come off eventually and sure enough all my clubs became hook machines again.  The weight on the toe of the club did slow the rotation of the club through impact and lessen my draw. My shorter clubs took 21 grams to work but the longer clubs like my 5 iron only take 7 grams.  Now that I know that it works I am going to remove the adhesive tape and epoxy them to my clubs so that they will stay.  I ultimately want to have tungsten plugs installed in my clubs but until I can get that work done I'll use the wheel weights.

Thats why its ben hogans fade it wont be yours seems you will waste more time trying to copy something then forge your own style Play more think less.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a piece in Golf Digest quite a few years ago about Hogan. The put his driver in Iron Byron and the machine couldn't even hit it. I would think twice about copying his equipment specs. Hogan is like Porsche and Copenhagen. There are no substitutes :)

Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!