IGNORED

How to have your irons sit 5 degrees open like Ben Hogan? The opposite of offset?

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to have my blade irons sit open at address and not just by having a weak grip. I called nike, callaway, and mizuno to ask if they made any sets or could make any sets like that and they all said no!

I have a loft and like machine and have opened the lofts and increase the flat lie angle and still I would like the club to sit more open. Is there anyone who can help me figure this dilema out?

Only thing I can think about is to rotate the clubhead open. That way you still got the spine of the shaft straight up and aligned with the grip. The same principle as they use on the adjustable drivers today. You can't change it back and forth with a screw of course, you'll have to heat up the head to melt the glue and apply new before mounting again.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would doing what Bubba does help? He has Ping put the grips on several degree open.

Or am I misunderstanding the question, because I think I may be?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Would doing what Bubba does help? He has Ping put the grips on several degree open.

Or am I misunderstanding the question, because I think I may be?

I think the OP wants something a bit more hip sounding than Bubba's common sense grip approach. I wonder if the OP fights a hook (like Hogan did) or if he just had a big glass of Hogan kool aid.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This is what Bernard Langer says about his grips : "Golf Pride Victory. I rotate them to the left 4 degrees. I tried it one day and the ball went straight, so I kept it that way. With my strong grip, it fits in my hand better, too."

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

hey just curious - I went to the golf Pride site and couldn't find the "Victory" model - can you shed some light?

thanks

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

The old green Victory is no more to my understanding.

There is a replacement they call v55 or something.  Still has the reminder chevrons but in red I think.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I do fight a hook and hate to see a hook, conversly when I fade I hate to see a slice. I do fight a hook. I lofted my 7 iron up and flattened the lie so that I could hit a 3/4 shot 155-160 yards; that fade I was hitting was very distinctive and felt very easy to do. I want most of my draw swing mechanics I impliment to produce a fade. You cant talk to a hook. You can give me the most open club and I can figure out how to hook it. The problem is that when I fade it, I do not want to get double crossed, I dont want ot see a hook or even a slight pull when fading.

Nike said the make a special order to 1 degree open in their irons and that is as far as I got. I want something similar to Hogans specs. the most puzzling thing right now to figure out is how to get the irons to have a negative offset or sit 5 degrees open at address.

Originally Posted by dbuck

There is a replacement they call v55 or something.  Still has the reminder chevrons but in red I think.

Yellow, actually: http://www.golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=cord&grip;=v55bct

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Yellow, actually: http://www.golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=cord&grip;=v55bct

Might have to try those, at least on a club or two.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Might have to try those, at least on a club or two.

I recently put one on a old 1 iron, just because it seemed like a good idea. It's a lot rougher than the regular Tour Velvet Cord.

In my bag:

Why do you want something similar to Hogan's specs?

Hogan Kool-Aid? More like Hogan LSD.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

1) I would like to take the left side out of play 2) If the greatest ball striker of all time used 5 degree open clubs, I would like to try them. Everyone should want to try them. SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE THEM. I cant understand why it would be soooo hard to accomplish this.

Originally Posted by HogansSecrets

1) I would like to take the left side out of play 2) If the greatest ball striker of all time used 5 degree open clubs, I would like to try them. Everyone should want to try them. SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE THEM. I cant understand why it would be soooo hard to accomplish this.

The solution to taking the left side out of play should not be opening your clubs 5 degrees.  Furthermore, the bounce and grind of your irons were not designed to sit this open.  You could rotate the clubhead on the shaft (or grip for a near identical effect) but they wont sit naturally at address like this at all.

I'd talk to a pro about your swingpath and impact mechanics before you do something like this.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Because the market for 5* open irons is probably a handful of people.  The market for people who need 5* open irons is probably even smaller.

Originally Posted by delav

Quote:

The solution to taking the left side out of play should not be opening your clubs 5 degrees.  Furthermore, the bounce and grind of your irons were not designed to sit this open.  You could rotate the clubhead on the shaft (or grip for a near identical effect) but they wont sit naturally at address like this at all.

I'd talk to a pro about your swingpath and impact mechanics before you do something like this.

Ben Hogan did grind his clubs to a negative bounce: while the solution to taking the left side out of play does not lie soley in one place, certainly it was a piece of what made hogans fade so great. I can hit a fade, but am after a specific type fade: the ben hogan fade.

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!