IGNORED

Do you use an "Droid" App?

Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i've used skydroid on droid x the last few times i've played at my home course and am really impressed with its accuracy.  the battery life on my phone however is not as impressive.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

• 1 month later...
I currently have 3 apps loaded on my Blackberry. All are free for just the Yardages, but at least 2 of them will have a "premium" tier that will offer more options such as shot tracking, club selection, etc... I started with BBGPS Golf which is simple and you can import your own data through their website. Add yardages to trouble, carry yardage, etc... . Swing by Swing was next, also editable through their website and can be linked to Google Maps for aerial views. I did have issues with SBS locking up and forcing a restart of the phone, but I re-installed it and seems to have taken care of that. Recently added iGolf for Blackberry. Nicer graphics, but not as customizable as far as I can tell so far. Also takes a bit longer to load initially but is fine once loaded. ALL of them are just as accurate (+/- a yard or so) as the SkyCaddie and Golf Logix devices that I've compared them with. I don't generally like cel phones on the course so I was reluctant to bring it until I realized I can just turn off the ringer so as to keep my 'alone' time on the course. Haven't had any real issues with battery life as long as I juice it up before hand.

I've used SkyDroid, GolfCard and OOBGolf. Golfcard was the best application by far. It did almost everything well. However, they ended their partnership with oobgolf.com's database and that ruined it for me. Since then, OOBGolf released their own application that works with their site, which is good, but not as good as Golfcard was. I'm stuck using OOBGolf until I find something better or develop my own app. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I use Free Golf GPS Range Finder from Swing by Swing.  Its free, it loads up really fast after you "wake up" the phone, you can plot shots like touch where you want the ball to land and it will tell you how far that shot has to be and then how much you have left to the green, and i've only been to one course that they didn't have and its barely a year old.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Hole In One GPS for my android phone for two main reasons; 1. It has both rangefinder and scorecard. 2. It doesn't drain battery like other apps I've tried.

You have to map most courses yourself since it's a pretty new app, but it takes ~15min so I dont mind.

Tried Skydroid but battery was totally drained...

Decided to try out Golfshot GPS rather than renew my SkyCaddie membership. Going to try it out for the first time this afternoon at my home course. I was using SkyDroid and it's "ok" but doesn't have scoring, etc. Golfshot was $30 but, it's one time vs. every year with SC.

We'll see....hoping it works as well as it has been reviewed.

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick

I got paired up with 3 doctors on a course by me one time when I went out alone when my friend backed out the last minute.  The one I rode with had a droid like mine and asked if I had the SkyDroid app.  He was astonished I loved golf and didnt have the app.  Its only $0.99.  You have to download courses but I have yet to find a course not on there.  If the course you are looking for isn't on there you can just go online and map it yourself (I have yet to need to do that although).  It will give you distances to the back, middle and front of green as well as the pin.  Also distances to any traps, water and hazards on the hole.  You can hit the zoom out button and get an ariel view of the entire hole or even the entire course.  Once you download the course its on there for good and one cool feature is next to the name of each course is a phone symbol that you touch and it dials the pro shop to set up a tee time.  I really love everything about it.  Best $0.99 Ive spent on my golf game.

Skydroid FTW. Although its now 2.99$ the other day my phone was dying so I left it in the car while I played, I found myself so pissed when I would over/under estimate the distance to the front of the green.

Being a high capper the front is all I care about anything thats on the green is a good shot for me.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I have now used the Golfshot GPS twice and I have to say I REALLY like it. Glad I decided not to renew my Skycaddie. It seems to be within a yard or two accuracy-wise and the statistics are awesome. I like that it emails you the scorecard and stats after every round, too. Battery drain was not an issue (I am using a rooted Droid Incredible with the stock battery). I think I started with 96% battery and ended with 60-something. Not bad for just over four hours of nearly continual use.

My only (minor) complaint would be that I wish they'd hurry up and get all the features working for Android. So far, some things only work on the Iphone platform (like aerial shot zoom, etc) but even without that, I would give this a strong recommendation!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

I'll have to check that out, Rebel.  Are you saying that Aerial Shot works, but it has no zoom function?

Thanks for your input.

Brandon

Originally Posted by Rebel_Golfer

I have now used the Golfshot GPS twice and I have to say I REALLY like it. Glad I decided not to renew my Skycaddie. It seems to be within a yard or two accuracy-wise and the statistics are awesome. I like that it emails you the scorecard and stats after every round, too. Battery drain was not an issue (I am using a rooted Droid Incredible with the stock battery). I think I started with 96% battery and ended with 60-something. Not bad for just over four hours of nearly continual use.

My only (minor) complaint would be that I wish they'd hurry up and get all the features working for Android. So far, some things only work on the Iphone platform (like aerial shot zoom, etc) but even without that, I would give this a strong recommendation!

it does aerial shots,just touch it where it says gps on the screen.Golfshot really needs an android update,it is slow to calculate yardage(skydroid is very quick)so I know it's not my phone and the auto handicap doesn't work for android,I have emailed them numerous times.

• Upvote 1

Hey, thanks for the tip Mackless! It does work. I swear it even says on their website that it only works on Iphone. Oh well... glad I said something!

I haven't found it to be too slow with the yardage update. Maybe it is just the different ROM/Kernel combo I am using... not sure.

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Does golfshot have a web portal/page where all of your scores are stored, or is it only on the app/phone?

Brandon

I finally got myself an Android phone (the Evo 4G) and I downloaded Swing by Swing, and so far I really like it... the accuracy has actually been pretty damn good... I'd be standing on the 150 marker and it'd tell me I had 149 or something like that... it also can zoom into each green and has lines in 10 yard increments so you can see how far to the front, middle, and back.

I played one course that wasn't in their database so I mapped it out myself... it was so simple.  I would definitely recommend this app.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Add me to the list of folks using the SkyDroid app on my Samsung Mesmerize.  Nice little app.  Beats paying $300 for a Skycaddie.

I'm currently working on a new app. I've had a vision of the app for the last 3 or 4 years but now have the skills to create it. I hope to have it out by the end of June, maybe sooner. In my opinion it is going to be leaps and bound above the others, especially in the stat tracking department and I don't plan to charge more than 9.99 for it. I'll make a post here when I finish if you guys like.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been using How Far Am I? for my last 5 or so rounds.  Its usually spot on, but ive had two shots it was off considerably (25-30 yds), and of course I didnt bother checking for a yardage marker .  Ill contribute those to phone error though

I used Golflogix.    I bought it primarily for league use so I usually only need it for 9 holes.   I like it but I'm not sure if my battery would last for a full 18.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!