IGNORED

My new SkyCaddie "SG3"...Review

Note: This thread is 6058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That is really cool! Now I wish I had asked Santa for a SkyCaddie instead of the Bushnell range finder. Oh well...live and learn I guess!

At least I know what I will be asking Santa for next year!!

underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Mrbillinoc, I don't want to spoil your new toy and your moment of happiness, but don't you believe that getting the yardage without external devices is a skill that most golfer should rely on?
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Sorry Mrbillinoc, I don't want to spoil your new toy and your moment of happiness, but don't you believe that getting the yardage without external devices is a skill that most golfer should rely on?

most..sure..but think by the time you are looking to get a yardage finder we're beyond the "most" golfer stage and now dealing with the "avid" golfer that wants to get more out of his game. I think we feel that if the pro's get their yardages handed to them in a basket why not us also. Why make the game harder already than it is.

Trust me my friend, if I could tell distance on my own I would love it...but I can't. Anyway, since I play because I enjoy the game, I'll always take advantage of golfing technology, be it clubs, balls, or whatever. I'm sure I'm like most who love the game....I hold the line on anything that isn't legal. I won't cheat the game and I won't cheat myself.

For the purists who don't want to use range finders, I take my hat off to them and hope all their shots find the green. Kinda reminds me about Ted Nugent the rock guitarist....he is a VERY avid hunter who enjoys hunting Grizzly Bear....with a bow & arrow! While I admire his style, if I'm tracking down a Grizzly I'm going to use Laser-Guided Smart-Bombs!

Thanks guys... I think you kind of convinced me... is the Skycaddie SG3 the only good item available or do you have any other products you can suggest me?
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Well the GPS vs. Laser Ranger Finder debate will always go on but I've played with both (I have the SG3) and hands down for practicality it has to be the GPS unit. It's ALWAYS on so you never have to open bring it out, aim, click. This was the very reason I got rid of mine. It's a pain in the butt in the long run.

If you're creating the ultimate yardage book by all means the laser range finder is THE tool. You will be able to get exact yardages to anything in your field of view. Front of bunkers, rocks, etc..whatever point of reference you want.

One thing about the laser is that you can only get yardages to what you see, whereas with the GPS regardless of "blind shots" it will tell you how far you are out from various targets or layup yardages which is really cool. It's also free whereas with the GPS (at least for the Sky Caddie) there a yearly fee.

If you're a tour caddy it is a tool of the trade, but for the average joe, like me, I'm absolutely happy about the GPS unit (SG3).

I have decided (after reading this thread) to purchase a GPS device over a laser range finder. I'm looking at the SG-3 or 4.

Is the only difference the battery option? (AA's Vs rechargeable)

I read that the SG4 also has an expansion slot, but couldn't find any mention of one on the SG3. I went to the Golfsmith shop here where I live to look at one, and they were out of stock. I asked the assistant there about the expansion slot, and he told me you could "save your rounds" on the expansion slot for later review. Is this true, or a bunch of crap?

Does the SG3 also have an expansion slot?
What does the expansion slot allow you to do?

• Administrator
Well the GPS vs. Laser Ranger Finder debate will always go on but I've played with both (I have the SG3) and hands down for practicality it has to be the GPS unit. It's ALWAYS on so you never have to open bring it out, aim, click. This was the very reason I got rid of mine. It's a pain in the butt in the long run.

I found it to be the opposite. I can aim, click, etc. in about five seconds. It clips to the side of my bag and pops right off (and back on).

With GPS software, I have to constantly check for updates, make sure I have a new course downloaded when I travel, and I cannot get distances to certain landmarks just by pointing at them like I can with a laser range finder. If the course isn't mapped, oftentimes the only distance you can measure with a GPS is to the center of the green (or perhaps its edges).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played the local course, Rio Hondo, by my house. It worked out great..I think I set it for too much info. to be displayed though..lol..but as far as playability it beats out the laser.

Hey Mav,

that's the downfall of GPS is that you need to download the course you are going to play..it's got to be done beforehand. I just got tired of always having to aim in..the GPS is a simple glance and you know..maybe as my ability progresses I may want a more specific measuring device.

I'm concerned about the accuracy of the GPS reading for the SkyCaddie. The reason that I say that is because I have a hand held GPS called a Garmin eTrex Legend that I use for hiking and locating areas where I may want to return. I assume that the SkyCaddie uses the same technology. Some days I get more satellites for greater accuracy, and other days I might get fewer and have an error factor of 30 to 60 feet, or worse. That isn't much of a problem when you're hiking, but it can be 1 or 2 clubs off for a golfer. The Legend tells you your accuracy level (satellite connections) for that location. Does the SkyCaddie give you any indication of it's accuracy for that particular day or set of conditions? Thanks!

Steve

Ok... check this out!

Now I am really confused....

I was looking for the skycaddie sg3 and then I ran into Erik's (a.k.a Iacas) review on the Bushnell Pinseeker....

They both make sense to me.... but I cannot spend all that money for two devices....which one should I get??????????????

In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

I'm concerned about the accuracy of the GPS reading for the SkyCaddie. The reason that I say that is because I have a hand held GPS called a Garmin eTrex Legend that I use for hiking and locating areas where I may want to return. I assume that the SkyCaddie uses the same technology. Some days I get more satellites for greater accuracy, and other days I might get fewer and have an error factor of 30 to 60 feet, or worse. That isn't much of a problem when you're hiking, but it can be 1 or 2 clubs off for a golfer. The Legend tells you your accuracy level (satellite connections) for that location. Does the SkyCaddie give you any indication of it's accuracy for that particular day or set of conditions? Thanks!

Skycaddie claims an accuracy of "within 1 yard" im pretty sure. I have found my SG2 to be very accurate when I have used it, certainly nowhere near 30-60 feet. Id say their 1 yard estimate is pretty darn close on the (4star skycaddie rated) courses ive played on.

Hello... 1st post! For those of you who have upgraded from SG2 to SG3/4 was the upgrade worth it? I really love my SG2 and willing to upgrade if its that much more of a good thing. Can anyone who has used both old and new versions let me know the diffences? I have checked out their site but its not very informative on what the new features are. Thanks!

Just bought sky caddie sg3 today. I wasn't quite sure what the difference between the 2 and 3 but the kid at the golf shop said it had a bigger screen and that was good enough for me. Plus there was only a 20.00 difference btw the two so I opted for the 3. Will use on New Year's and see how it works.

regards,
stickboy

Just bought sky caddie sg3 today. I wasn't quite sure what the difference between the 2 and 3 but the kid at the golf shop said it had a bigger screen and that was good enough for me. Plus there was only a 20.00 difference btw the two so I opted for the 3. Will use on New Year's and see how it works.

yeah..it was a $20 swing for me too..why not get the newer v. right? One thing I've heard is the SG2 had a clock..the SG3 does not. Also they haven't released a clip for the SG3 yet..only the SG2..I've heard that the clip will be available next..or this month..Jan '07.

In the meantime I got a small plastic, see-thru, zipper cover (think it's a makeup bag) and I can just use it and place it on my little compart in my push cart..it has a clip where I can also hang it on my bag..

Skycaddie claims an accuracy of "within 1 yard" im pretty sure. I have found my SG2 to be very accurate when I have used it, certainly nowhere near 30-60 feet. Id say their 1 yard estimate is pretty darn close on the (4star skycaddie rated) courses ive played on.

Thanks for the response, Ty. Any other opinions on accuracy from other users?

Thanks! Steve

Thanks for the response, Ty. Any other opinions on accuracy from other users?

I played yesterday with a guy who just got a laser range finder and we kept comparing readings all day, my SG3 and his Bushnell.

The results?.......Same distance readings from both units!

Note: This thread is 6058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!