IGNORED

New set of Mizuno MP-67s!

Note: This thread is 4523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found a set of MP-67s on Craigslist the other day for $200, and thought, "Hey, you've been wanting to get some blades to play with on the range, and these are fairly new for a great price, so do it!"

I ended up buying them, and they're great, but the interesting thing is I was playing this weekend and a single behind me caught up with me and asked to join up since it was a slow day.  We're talking and I tell him that I had just bought a new set of irons and turns out he knows the guy that sold them!  Small world....

Just thought I'd share.

Nice buy.  How hard were they to hit and how did you play with them?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Nice buy.  How hard were they to hit and how did you play with them?

That handicap index of 36.4 should answer the question for you.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Since buying them, I've actually come close to breaking 100 twice:  once when I shot a 102 and once when I had an 88 through 17 holes, but it had gone dark, so I couldn't finish the round.  Lately, I had been shooting anywhere from 110 to 120 (eesh!).  For whatever reason, be it psychological or whatever else, I'm hitting these irons really well!  I've noticed how hitting it just a little fat can affect my distances, but the feel of just puring one and watching it shoot like a frozen rope towards the flag (still a rare occurrence with my handicap...) is awesome.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but don't you think that playing a blade when you're a 36.4 handicap is a little unwise? I know guys that are single digit handicaps who feel their ball striking isn't good enough to play a blade.  You'd probably score much better using a game improvement club.  Just saying...

Originally Posted by spoonman

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but don't you think that playing a blade when you're a 36.4 handicap is a little unwise? I know guys that are single digit handicaps who feel their ball striking isn't good enough to play a blade.  You'd probably score much better using a game improvement club.  Just saying...

I understand where you're coming from, and I don't take it as disrespect or anything like that.  I also thought I wouldn't be able to play them, so I really just bought them for goofing around on the range and seeing what the deal with blades was.  Shockingly enough, I seem to hit the MPs better than my other set of irons (Tommy Armour EVO something or the others...).  I think it's just because I know I have to be more precise with my ball striking, so I force myself to concentrate that little bit extra.  Plus, the old set just looked clunky, and I just thought that with a tool so clunky, it will be that much harder to make a precise strike.  Precise movements call for precise tools.  I'm not sure...All I know is that I put the blades in my bag after a few very successful range sessions, and I've shot two good rounds.  :shrug:  You can't argue with results.

All that said, I'm not sure where my now-old set of irons falls in the line of UGI/SGI/GI/WTF-whateverelse clubs, so that may have somehow been hindering my ball striking before (?!?).  But I haven't noticed a negative difference in my scores since incorporating the blades, although admittedly, I only have a few rounds in with them.

Besides, I play this game to have fun.  And I have more fun gaming these blades than the old clunky shovels I used to play.

Originally Posted by spoonman

Are those the guys who have 110 mph swing speeds but average 240 yards off the tee and have poor ball striking but averag < 10 feet from the pin from 100 yards?

@ matt: I say go for it, just don't ditch your other sticks (yet).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Are those the guys who have 110 mph swing speeds but average 240 yards off the tee and have poor ball striking but averag < 10 feet from the pin from 100 yards?

110mph into the dirt infront of the ball...DUH!

And 30 yards looks like 10 feet from 100 yards, sometimes, when a piece of dirt gets stuck in your eye, you forgot your glasses and a large white bird poo is sitting on the green 10 feet from the pin

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Mizuno's two highest profile players, Luke Donald and Charles Howell use cavity backs. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I echo this. Blades are fun, and the aim of golf is to have fun. As long as the clubs don't make him a slow player, he should keep them in the bag. But, as Sean says, hang onto the other irons for a bit.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

Mizuno's two highest profile players, Luke Donald and Charles Howell use cavity backs. :-)

As much as I love my Mizuno blades (oldies), players cavity backs is where Mizuno really shines. Let's just say, if money was on the line the MP-11s would not be in the bag. They're not very forgiving (even when compared to other blades) and yet they have a hint of offset (I don't think as much as the 14s or 29s, but it's there). The less I use them the less I miss them. Unbelievable wedges though - I could go head to head with any 19 capper with those things!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

All this talk about blades vs handicap, play whatever you feel comfortable with.  I dropped 8 strokes by switching from my big bertha ugi's to my 755's.  Btw, why did Titleist consider these irons to be blades?  Marketing?  "A contemporary, multi-material blade iron with enhanced heel-toe weighting and a lower CG for enhanced playability and performance."  Although, mine are a far stretch from musclebacks.

Originally Posted by Shindig

Quote:

Are those the guys who have 110 mph swing speeds but average 240 yards off the tee and have poor ball striking but averag

I echo this. Blades are fun, and the aim of golf is to have fun. As long as the clubs don't make him a slow player, he should keep them in the bag. But, as Sean says, hang onto the other irons for a bit.

Exactly.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that.  Besides, if anything in my bag makes me a slow player, it's my driver.

Originally Posted by moparman426

I dropped 8 strokes by switching from my big bertha ugi's to my 755's.  Btw, why did Titleist consider these irons to be blades?

Titleist 755 irons are cavity backs.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'm in the process of considering a switch to a mixed set of mp68 and mp53.  I love Mizuno's and I love the fact that I can really keep the ball down with the mp68's in the shorter clubs.  Playing in windy conditions, this is a requirement for me.  I don't think the 68's are much less forgiving than the 53's until you get into the 3-4 iron.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Titleist 755 irons are cavity backs.

I know they are, which is why I questioned why Titleist used the word "blade" in their description.  That quote I used above is a copy/paste right from the Titleist product page. To my understanding, a blade iron was anything with a narrow sole and thin top-line, until I started coming here where everyone associates the word blade with muscleback.  I don't consider them to be blade irons, but wondered why Titleist did upon their release.  Now...... those 710MB's are some beautiful blades.

Sorry for the hijack, Matt

Originally Posted by Kieran123

110mph into the dirt infront of the ball...DUH!

And 30 yards looks like 10 feet from 100 yards, sometimes, when a piece of dirt gets stuck in your eye, you forgot your glasses and a large white bird poo is sitting on the green 10 feet from the pin

if he enjoys playing them, by all means, he should.  just figured that as a 36, a GI might suit him better.  But if they give him more confidence, then swing away.

the guy i'm reffering to is a 3 and is unbelievable.  Everything he hits is a dart.  Doesn't hit it that long because he's in his late 50's, but still hits it 260. His son plays the x-forged but he prefers the x-22 tours simply because he isn't comfortable over a blade, for whatever reason.

For $200, do what you want with the clubs and enjoy yourself!  And heck, as you said, the fact that these clubs are hard to hit may just help out with your game.

If you do however down the road are having a hard time hitting the clubs, don't get overly discouraged with your game and pull out the old sticks.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!