IGNORED

Drills to stop coming too far inside to impact

Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by calcnation

I have a tendacy of coming too far inside on the downswing.  Any drills or practice tips to get into better position at impact?

Do you have alignment sticks? If not you can get a pair at home depot for 3 dollars. (They are just colored lawn sticks) If so, put one of them on the target line when you practice, slightly inside the ball on the left. (Assuming you are a right handed player) You want the stick about an inch or so from the left side of the ball.

If you come too far from the inside you will clip the stick, no big deal, they are only plastic.

You could also set up when you practice with your right foot/leg (again assuming you are right handed) a bit closer to the ball than your front foot. It is difficult like this to get the club coming from the inside at all. However I only recomend this drill if you have a VERY BAD habit of pushing the ball. If it is only slight, work on the first drill. That should be enough.

If you have any way to post a video of you swing, go at it and I will have a look.

Thanks for the reply.

Here are two videos

6 irons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAAlU4HfOc&feature;=mfu_in_order&list;=UL

Drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q1lIrXpMn0&feature;=autoplay&list;=ULS_GPphJ_ZVc&index;=6&playnext;=1

Just looked at the 6i videos. Both the swings were a little bit inside coming back, but right on plane coming down. Now the camera angle may have a fooled me a bit, but I don't think so.

What kind of misses are you having that you think you are coming too far from the inside? To me the downswing looks on plane.

I have a tendacy of coming too far inside on the downswing.  Any drills or practice tips to get into better position at impact?

You are reaching for the golf ball at your set up and when you swing you have to throw your hands and arms way out to get to the ball at impact.

Here is your setup.

Calc1.jpg

Then you lean over and strech your arms out to get to the ball. That is causing you to swing to far out.

Calc2.jpg

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply.

Here are two videos

6 irons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAAlU4HfOc&feature;=mfu_in_order&list;=UL

Drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q1lIrXpMn0&feature;=autoplay&list;=ULS_GPphJ_ZVc&index;=6&playnext;=1

My uneducated comments (what I'd do if this was my swing):

Stand up a little straighter, a little closer to the ball, with hands raised more at address, slow down the takeaway or get stiffer shafts, then try not to flip while hiting that 6-iron.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Looks to me like you are kind of slouching over the ball.  Like someone else said, straighten that back a bit and it should fix your push. You kind of want to be sticking your butt out just a little bit to give you a straight back and the proper spine angle.

I used to have the same shot but since Ive focused more on my spine angle and on better posture its fixed my push.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

to stop my coming inside too early tendencies, i was told to place a quarter about 9in to a foot behind the ball and on the takeaway be sure that the club goes over the top of the quarter.

Originally Posted by boots1302

to stop my coming inside too early tendencies, i was told to place a quarter about 9in to a foot behind the ball and on the takeaway be sure that the club goes over the top of the quarter.

This is a good drill. Except he means he is coming too far to the inside on the way down to the ball. Not in the backswing.

Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!