IGNORED

Master Teeing Off With an Iron Thread

GlobeGuy
Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

for me i tee the ball very very low, to where it is pretty much sitting ontop of the grass from my 2 iron down to my 6 iron, and from my 7 iron to my wedge i do not tee the ball at all, i just fluff up the grass and play it off of the grass due to the fact that i'm looking for the ball to hold more in that situation than with my longer irons and i get a better pinch on the ball off of the turf.

Interesting i might try this out some time

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use a broken tee. Teeing the ball too high up, say more than a quarter of an inch off the ground messes up my swing. I sometimes just make a small mound with the sand for the divots so I will hit down on it and not sweep which makes the ball go left or right of target.

I watched a guy twist the blades of grass together to make a tiny little grass tee. I tried it and it works great. Just another way of "fluffing" the grass up, I guess.

Insight XTD a3 Driver
a3 Hybrids/Irons (3-GW)
SM Vokey 58*
Black Series Putter

• 1 year later...
I noticed a lot of people tee up their iron shots like they're going to hit a driver.

Why tee up the ball?
I just stub the ground and put my ball on it.

I thought the ball is meant to be "squeezed" against the ground at impact.
Wouldn't teeing it up stop that?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I only put my ball on a tee so i can get a cleaner contact like most people do. Now when i mean tee up, i mean the ball is pretty much still touching the ground, but the tee is just lifting it a few millimetres. I have seen some people who tee it up for iron shots just under an inch high, they just don't realise you are not meant to do it like that.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I love it when you see someone tee up a pitching wedge like an inch off the ground and some crazy shot comes shooting out as a result. I have a thing where on Par 3's I always use someone's broken tee to tee my ball up, but I do the same as others have stated, just rest it on the ground really. It's probably more of a mental thing as this point.

Always! I just use a broken tee and place it like its just resting on the top of the grass. I'm not sure who said it, but I read one time where a famous golfer said, "Why wouldn't you tee it up, its a rare chance where the rules of golf give you an advantage".

Anyone know who said that?
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I use a broken tee to get it to grass top level. It's just the way I was taught. My cousin told me to use a tee when I could, so.... so far, I do. It just stuck with me. I like it better than coming off the ground on a short hole. You tee up when using your fairway wood (3 or 5) out of the tee box. Why not when using the iron?

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Always! I just use a broken tee and place it like its just resting on the top of the grass. I'm not sure who said it, but I read one time where a famous golfer said, "Why wouldn't you tee it up, its a rare chance where the rules of golf give you an advantage".

Jack Nicklaus I think. Wise words!

Always use a tee. Like most other posters I basically have it such that it just holds the ball off the turf.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Always and like has already been said it is only barely with the ball still basically on the ground. When I tee up an iron shot I look at it as being able to give myself the best lie possible for the shot. I get to pick the spot, the height etc so why wouldn't I? With that mentality the ball is still basically on the ground, but is aided by the tee.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

Jack Nicklaus I think. Wise words!

Misty,

Your avatar makes me laugh! I have friend in my golf league that does about 2-3 shots of that stuff before every round. He says its smooth, but I don't believe him. Ha!
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I use a broken tee and place it so the ball is barely resting on the grass as well. The only iron that I may tee it up an extra 2-3 millimeters is my 4 iron (which I use for Par 3's that are in the 185ish range). I was 2 for 2 with my 4 iron on the long Par 3's last night.

Same here - I use a broken tee basically just to simulate a perfect lie on the grass. I actually do the same for my hybrid and 3 wood off the tee as well.

Like everyone else I use a busted tee and get the ball just off the ground. I think it gives you just a touch more confidence on those par 3's.

Arnold Palmer said "Any time you have a chance to get the ball off the ground, you better take it"

If I put the ball on a tee I seem to subconsciously try and pick it cleanly. So I'll generally hit anything longer than a seven iron off a tee and anything shorter off the ground.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course.

Ditto. The ball might be teed a smidgen higher for a par 4 than a par 3, but I always use a broken tee.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!