IGNORED

May 2011 Golf Digest Ball Review

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been primarily playing the Penta and the Zstar XV this year. I love the way the Penta feels.......... but the XV is significantly longer for me. Unfortunately, I get no spin on full shots or chips. I'm wondering if the Zstar would be a good match for me?

Originally Posted by Cut68

I've been primarily playing the Penta and the Zstar XV this year. I love the way the Penta feels.......... but the XV is significantly longer for me. Unfortunately, I get no spin on full shots or chips. I'm wondering if the Zstar would be a good match for me?

I just bought some Penta's to try out, but I know I love the Z-star X. From what I was told the Z-star spins the most, then the Z-star X, and the XV is the least spinning "premium ball" on the market… per the Srixon/Cleveland rep I spoke with.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I've been playing on the Noodle+ Easy Distance since last years Golf Digest review.

I may try the Gamer V2, if I like it I might switch, but the Noodle is an awfully good ball.

Do you  know your swing speed?

We are about the same handicap so I was curious if you can actually tell any difference in its spin vs other balls.

Also how does it feel off the putter?

I prefer more of a soft feel vs a loud clunk off the putter, lol

Originally Posted by nuck81

I've been playing on the Noodle+ Easy Distance since last years Golf Digest review.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

It feels like a soft ball, it almost feels like you could squeeze it with your hand but you can't, but off of my putter it has a very soft and short "click"

I don't know my swing speed exactly, but I don't really try to swing as hard as I can so I'd say it's in the low 80's.  Sometimes when trying to give it a little extra gas I've had the Noodle balloon a bit, especially with the Driver, so I'm guessing that means I'm right on the edge.  I also play with regular shafts in all my clubs. If you play with stiff, and really need stiff, you probably swing too fast...

Originally Posted by erock9174

Do you  know your swing speed?

We are about the same handicap so I was curious if you can actually tell any difference in its spin vs other balls.

Also how does it feel off the putter?

I prefer more of a soft feel vs a loud clunk off the putter, lol

awesome, thanks for the feedback.  My driver swing is about 81 mph so it should work out great for me.  I currently play an e6 and it flies straight as advertised but when I do hit the green it never seems to bite at all.  Maybe the noodle will help generate some spin.

I know right now they are buy 2 boxes for $24 at both Dicks and GG.  I have a $10 gift coupon at GG so its a logical buy

Originally Posted by nuck81

It feels like a soft ball, it almost feels like you could squeeze it with your hand but you can't, but off of my putter it has a very soft and short "click"

I don't know my swing speed exactly, but I don't really try to swing as hard as I can so I'd say it's in the low 80's.  Sometimes when trying to give it a little extra gas I've had the Noodle balloon a bit, especially with the Driver, so I'm guessing that means I'm right on the edge.  I also play with regular shafts in all my clubs. If you play with stiff, and really need stiff, you probably swing too fast...

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

I'd say we have about the same speed.  For the price give them a try, I've been very satisfied with them....

Originally Posted by erock9174

awesome, thanks for the feedback.  My driver swing is about 81 mph so it should work out great for me.  I currently play an e6 and it flies straight as advertised but when I do hit the green it never seems to bite at all.  Maybe the noodle will help generate some spin.

I know right now they are buy 2 boxes for $24 at both Dicks and GG.  I have a $10 gift coupon at GG so its a logical buy

• 4 weeks later...

Originally Posted by colin007

have you played it?  does it really not feel that good?

it was the only ball from its category to place in the lower left corner of that chart, along with all the other tour balls.  how that isnt a gold ball i dont know.

I also saw Innovex in Golf Digest, I got a box of the Innovex balls last week (ordered off their site).  Played 3 rounds over the weekend using the Pro-V1, Callaway i(s), Bridgestone RS-330 and Innovex.  I thought the ball was comparable to those three, as well as the Penta (only played it twice, lost both balls).  Same feel off the Driver/3 wood and good spin and stick on the greens.  I was most impressed with the durability of the ball, I played 12 holes (7-18) with one ball, still looks brand new.

I have never hit the NIKE TOUR D. How are they? I play in the mid 90's and usually hit Callaway warbird plus. But after reading this thread i am convinced i need to adjust ball type and these replies seem pretty good. Thinking of going with SRIXON AD333 and one more diffrent type for awhile. Let me see some feedback on the NIKE TOUR D. THANKS

Originally Posted by G8RNTN

I have never hit the NIKE TOUR D. How are they? I play in the mid 90's and usually hit Callaway warbird plus. But after reading this thread i am convinced i need to adjust ball type and these replies seem pretty good. Thinking of going with SRIXON AD333 and one more diffrent type for awhile. Let me see some feedback on the NIKE TOUR D. THANKS

The Nike Tour D is a good ball, I think it is right in the group (maybe slightly below) with the Srixon AD333, Bridgestone, Penta, Innovex, Titleist, Callaway i(s or x) and new Nike 20XI.  My advice is to flee the Warbird as fast as possible, but I personally just hate that ball.  The biggest difference when you move up to the next tier is the urethane cover (warbird has a lonomer cover), you will notice a feel/spin difference immediately.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by dbwood

I drank the kool-aid.  Golf Digest's hype has finally gotten to me. For years I've been reading about every ball being compared to a Pro V1 and figured I might as well know what it is, so I bought a dozen.  It should surprise no one that I'm convinced it sticks the green better than the Pinnacle Exceptions I've been using all winter.  I don't notice any loss in length off the driver, and I like the way it feels putting.  I might have to try another premium ball like the Penta or something next.

Question:  On Titleist's web site they claim the Pro V1X will reduce a slice or hook compared to the Pro V1.  Has any one ever noticed anything to that?  I've never bought into the idea that a ball can reduce your slice, it seems to me that if you hit the ball with a slice swing, it's gonna slice.  But I could be wrong.

The V1X is a softer core and cover I believe.  I can definitely work V1s easier than V1Xs, so positive the sidespin is lower on the V1X.  That should reduce your hook or slice a little.

I play Taylormade TP Reds when I can get ahold of them.  I play the TP Blacks when I run out because I like the feel and responsiveness, though they balloon a touch on me.  The Pentas are nice balls.  A little firmer than the V1s but nice.  Taylormade makes high quality balls, IMO.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

IMO, the golf ball tests are the most valuable reviews that Golf Digest does. (Their other reviews are can be almost useless.) I've been ball hopping, trying to sample everything that exists in hopes of finding the ball that just "feels right". The closest so far was the Taylormade Burner TP, but that was discontinued for the Burner Tour. The position of the Innovex Vmotion reminds me of of the TM TP Black LDP from 2010: [img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8616/2010f.jpg[/img] Way over with the premium balls, clearly separated from other mid-priced balls. Except this year the Bridgestone e5 is also over in that area more than it was last year, maybe the new e5 actually has better wedge performance. I bought a couple dozen of the Blacks on sale and I hope to try it soon. I'm afraid that the Blacks might be on their way out, though, because everyone has had them on sale for a couple months. TM discontinued their cousin, the Reds, for the Penta, so the Blacks may be getting the axe too in favor of a different high-end ball. Anyway, seeing the Vmotion reviewed similarly to the Blacks, I may try the Vmotion soon.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Srixon TriSpeed Tour (yellow version) the past 2 weeks.  Seems to fly just as straight as the e6's I was playing but does seem to check up on the greens for me a little more.

I dont generate much spin so I will take what I can get.  Love the yellow color too.  I thought I would get rediculed this season for playing yellow balls, but to be honest I have more people asking me "what brand are those?" and commenting how well they can see my ball after a tee shot lands.

They seemed surprised when I tell them, they are Srixon and Bridgestone balls.  They probably were thinking I am playing something I stole from a putt putt course.

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

There is a lot of information here concerning preferences for certain brand (s) of golf balls. That's all well and good, But I would say that 75% of the week-end golfers hitting Pro V's shouldn't be hitting that ball because they don't have the swing speed necessary for that ball to perform as it is capable of. That said, the kind of ball you hit, also depends on the loft of your Driver. Nowhere do I see that mentioned as a consideration in ball selection. There is no such thing as a "one ball fits all." I switched from the E6 which I was happy with, to the B330RX and added about 20-25yds to my drives. . Picking a ball l has to do with matching the ball to the golfer, and there are a lot of things that have to be taken into consideration

Out of curiosity, what about your swing speed and/or driver loft made the Bridgestone work that much better?

Not trying to be smart or anything just curious?

Is one designed to work with a faster or slower swing speed?

On knetgolf.com they have both of them listed in their low compression balls category which should work with a slower swing.

The big difference I see from the GD review, is that on 1/2 wedge shots the B330RX launches much lower with more spin, to where the e6 launches higher with less spin.

Off the tee I thought all balls went relatively the same distance (within 5-7yds) but side spin was the big factor (i.e. tour balls will spin more and could cause more hooks/slices to where a distance ball would have less side spin and go straighter).

Originally Posted by falconjfs

I switched from the E6 which I was happy with, to the B330RX and added about 20-25yds to my drives. .

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

• 1 month later...

I thought the think was shit with the Pro V1X spinning higher than the Pro V1 and the 20XIs all the way at the back.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!