IGNORED

Where the heck is Phil?

jdub123
Note: This thread is 6331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Erik;What is Tigers excuse for skipping Mercedes?.

His wife has a bun in the oven, so they want to spend this wonderful time with there familys..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

His wife has a bun in the oven, so they want to spend this wonderful time with there familys..

Pregnant or not, Golf is what made him his money. He cant just walk away and come back when he wants!

David Ditto
In The Bag
Driver- Bridgestone Precept EC Fuel 420cc Driver
Woods- TaylorMade Vsteel Fairway Woods
Irons-Affinity ATS Hybrid IronsWedge- Wilson 60° Harmonized Black WedgePutter-Heavy Putter Matte Series PutterShoes- Nike SP3 Golf ShoesHome Course- River Run Golf...

I would reallly like to see Phil without all that fat and boobs...
The guy has won almost everything when he was young and slim (as an amateur)... I would be very curious to see what he can do with a better body fit.
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Pregnant or not, Golf is what made him his money. He cant just walk away and come back when he wants!

You're kidding, right?

Vancouver, BC CANADA

Driver: 905T 9.5 deg
Fairway Woods: 904F 15 & 19 deg.
Hybrid: FLI-HI CLK 21 deg.Irons: MP-60Wedges: Vokey 52/8, SM 56/14 & SM 60/4Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Bag: S64 StaffBall: NXT Tour

Phil would not have been #1. Not statistically, anyway. In the hearts and minds of fans, sure.

I do not agree that he's content to make alot of money. I could be wrong but Phil didn't play in any of those silly season events that everybody else does to make millions. As far as why he plays the weak fields Is a question that I would like to know also. with exceptions to the majors. Which last time I checked had a competitive field.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Isnt everyone entitled to some downtime?? Tiger is very much a family man always has been, and now that his wife is expecting of course he is going to take some time off.. Hell if I could afford to take time off when my better half is expecting our first child you can bet your ass I would, but I cant so I dont..

Really you should be happy, it gives Appleby another chance to win the opener..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

• Administrator
I do not agree that he's content to make alot of money. I could be wrong but Phil didn't play in any of those silly season events that everybody else does to make millions. As far as why he plays the weak fields Is a question that I would like to know also. with exceptions to the majors. Which last time I checked had a competitive field.

He shot 59 in a silly-season event last year, did he not? Except for the majors (of which there are only four, and of which he's only ever won three), Phil's schedule is filled with weak events. The Bellsouth, The International... the events in the desert. Weak fields.

Again, some statistical analysis will be coming soon. My preliminary reports back up the assertion. And the silly season events really aren't all that rich. With guys winning $1M for a PGA Tour win and tens of millions in ads, endorsements, etc. - a $500k silly season event isn't all that it used to be.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He shot 59 in a silly-season event last year, did he not? Except for the majors (of which there are only four, and of which he's only ever won three), Phil's schedule is filled with weak events. The Bellsouth, The International... the events in the desert. Weak fields.

The 59 was shot in 2004 and I could be wrong but I don't think he played in any silly season events in 2005 so his being a greed monger assertion doesn't hold water. Besides the silly season is filled with weak fields. Skins Game being one of them. I think Phil can beat Fred Funk, John Daly, etc. The Bellsouth is right before the Masters.....So you're going to hold that against him for playing in a competitive field before a major? Not to mention if he didn't play the Bellsouth he would have been criticized for not defending his title. It seems to me that Phil can do no right on this board. He is never gonna be Tiger so maybe he should retire?

What's in my bag
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• Administrator
The 59 was shot in 2004 and I could be wrong but I don't think he played in any silly season events in 2005 so his being a greed monger assertion doesn't hold water.

Don't put words in my mouth.

The Bellsouth is right before the Masters.....So you're going to hold that against him for playing in a competitive field before a major? Not to mention if he didn't play the Bellsouth he would have been criticized for not defending his title.

There are only four events the week before a major. Phil routinely plays more than four weak-field events per year.

It seems to me that Phil can do no right on this board. He is never gonna be Tiger so maybe he should retire?

I just like people who are honest, both with themselves and others. Phil has talked for years about how he wants to take on Tiger, how he relishes the chances to do it. Yet everyone knows Tiger's schedule, and here we have Phil racking up wins in events in which he knows Tiger isn't playing in and doing rather poorly when he plays in the same field as Tiger (including majors, if of course your scale includes Tiger - otherwise, 3 majors is pretty damn good).

Basically, I don't like that Phil talks out of both sides of his mouth. I think he deserves to be ranked second or third in the world - I take nothing away from him for that. But I do dislike hearing "I want to compete against Tiger and the other top players more often." I do dislike seeing the complete apathy Phil displayed in the past TWO Ryder Cups, switching equipment immediately before one of them. I do dislike the wholesome image he puts out while - based on the words of his peers - being quite the opposite when the public isn't around. Tiger has many flaws, too, this topic isn't "Where the heck is Tiger?" Tiger routinely plays in the events with the stiffest fields and DOES WELL. His record in the WGC events speaks to that. Tiger, though he rarely says much of substance at all, does say that he relishes playing against - and beating - the best. Much like Phil says. Yet Tiger goes and proves it. I've yet to see the same from Phil. He talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, in my opinion. And yeah, I'd have a whole lot less of a problem with him if he dropped the act and just said "I play in the events I like. I like making birdies, I like beating whoever is in the field, I like playing golf."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Don't put words in my mouth.

It's got a bit heated since the last time I checked this thread!

David Ditto
In The Bag
Driver- Bridgestone Precept EC Fuel 420cc Driver
Woods- TaylorMade Vsteel Fairway Woods
Irons-Affinity ATS Hybrid IronsWedge- Wilson 60° Harmonized Black WedgePutter-Heavy Putter Matte Series PutterShoes- Nike SP3 Golf ShoesHome Course- River Run Golf...

hi Iacas, Applebyfan

Phil has the game to take on Tiger no doubt about that whatsoever- in fact, id say that he is probably the only person along with Vijay Singh that have the tools to take TW on the golf course.

But like Iacas, if my interpretation is correct, big Phil wants his cake and to eat it (Engllish expression) ie- he wants the best of both worlds- he wants
...he wants to take on Tiger and to win tournaments- i don't think that that is possible too often-8 times out of 10 he will come second to TW even with TWs c game. So therefore, he sometimes chooses to play lesser events when Tiger isn't playing and invariably wins them. I will be so interested to see what sort of shape Phils body and game will be in when the season gets started proper at the Sony in 2 weeks time.

As said before on this site that Phil isn't all that he seems. It is well known in the PGA circle of friends that the main reason for Phil ditching Titleist before the most recent Ryder Cup is that an offer was put on the table by Callaway to pay off his $10mn gambling debts..he is a drinker and a womaniser too!!

discuss

bb69

It's easy to criticise Phil and it may be that he is down on himself due to the US Open, but . . . if I saw him I'd say that he has no reason to be down at all and I hope he comes out and plays great in 2007.

The way I see it, he called him self an idiot, but why? The fact is that NO ONE wanted a tie and to play 18 on Monday. I can't fault a guy for playing to win in that situation, the network, the players, the press, the viewers, no one wanted a tie so Phil tried to win it and I respect him for that.. He could have played for a tie but he did the right thing and went for the win.

His driver hadn't worked all round, his game was a mess, he had no business even being in the lead, but in going for the WIN he had to hit driver there, laying back was not an option on that hole unless you are playing for bogie.

So of course he sliced it and that set up a desparate second still trying to win the tournament and that hit the tree, unlucky, and the rest is history. It would be a shame if he let that hurt his confidence as it seems it has. I just played a round with a member of the K Club in Ireland who was there at the Ryder Cup and he said that Phil just looked like he didn't care at all and didn't want to be there. It would seem as if he did get down on himself, but without reason. You play to win and sometimes you don't win, that's golf, get over it and come back and win this year.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Basically, I don't like that Phil talks out of both sides of his mouth. I think he deserves to be ranked second or third in the world - I take nothing away from him for that. But I do dislike hearing "I want to compete against Tiger and the other top players more often." I do dislike seeing the complete apathy Phil displayed in the past TWO Ryder Cups, switching equipment immediately before one of them. I do dislike the wholesome image he puts out while - based on the words of his peers - being quite the opposite when the public isn't around.

I do aggree with you in terms of Phil doing bone headed things like switching to Callaway before the Ryder Cup, but the Ryder Cup apathy is an American thing. Tiger didn't exactly play lights out golf. Tiger and Furyk in two ball should be outlawed. There's a lot of Blame to go around. It seemed like Zack Johnson and JJ Henry were the ones with drive.

What's in my bag

• Administrator
I do aggree with you in terms of Phil doing bone headed things like switching to Callaway before the Ryder Cup, but the Ryder Cup apathy is an American thing. Tiger didn't exactly play lights out golf.

He had a winning record in 2006, has a winning record in singles, and plays a heckuva lot better in the Ryder Cup than Phil. Where did the two rank in terms of points earnings for the U.S. this past year?

Tiger and Furyk in two ball should be outlawed. There's a lot of Blame to go around. It seemed like Zack Johnson and JJ Henry were the ones with drive.

Tiger: 3 points (3-2), 0.600 winning percentage

Johnson: 1.5 points (1-2-1), 0.375 winning percentage Henry: 1.5 points (0-0-3), 0.500 winning percentage 3-2 isn't GREAT, but remember the U.S. only won 9.5 points, and Tiger got almost a third of them.

He had a winning record in 2006, has a winning record in singles, and plays a heckuva lot better in the Ryder Cup than Phil. Where did the two rank in terms of points earnings for the U.S. this past year?

Everybody gets on the slam Phil bandwagon and praise Tiger bandwagon, but

who had the most momentum going into the Ryder Cup? And was claiming to be the leader of this Ryder Cup team and going to lead the U.S. to a win. Tiger won the Brigestone Inv, PGA Championship, The Deutsch Bank. Phil didn't even play between the PGA and Ryder Cup, not that I'm defending that moronic move. Tiger missed alot of putts that he would have made in medal play. Apathy probably kept him from being 5-0. Alot of blame to go around.

What's in my bag

• Administrator
Everybody gets on the slam Phil bandwagon and praise Tiger bandwagon, but

Tiger played the best. Of course he said they were going to win - that's all he knows.

C'mon, man, Tiger's no without flaw, but comparing him in last year's Ryder Cup to anyone else - including ol Lefty - is just silly. If that's where your argument has gone, ouch...

Tiger played the best. Of course he said they were going to win - that's all he knows.

That's what I wanted to hear you say. In my opinion Tiger is not Divine. Phil is hardly anywhere close to divine. I Think these two have alot of talent between them. And most of the time on this board I hear Tiger worshippers and Phil slammers, when in reality the both of them are great and if Phil gets his act together you could see a Jack and Arnie rivalry, although not as friendly.

What's in my bag

Note: This thread is 6331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!