IGNORED

Outer Banks NC

Note: This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a couple courses that are good but affordable.  Playing with the inlaws and have to keep the price reasonable.

Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthecup

I am looking for a couple courses that are good but affordable.  Playing with the inlaws and have to keep the price reasonable.

Thanks

You only have a handful of choices down there quite frankly and I've played most of them. The best one in my opinion is Kilmarlic. It has more of a country club feel to it then the others and is always in good condition. It is probably one of the tougher courses down there but the one I enjoy the most. The Pointe is also a good choice. It's probably the easiest and most friendly course. Not a lot of trouble and it's wide open but the greens are always in great shape. The Carolina Club is the sister course to The Pointe and I like it more. It's a bit tougher than The Pointe but is in just as good of shape. Another course is Nags Head Links (the one running by the bypass on the sound side) but quite frankly I will never play there. It's a very gimmicky course. It has great views but it has a high price tag and the course just is not fun. There is always a very strong wind coming off the sound and the course has never been in that good of shape each time I've played. I personally will never play there again. Another one there is Sea Scape and you can go ahead and skip it as well. The owners are complete assholes and the course is just not good. It has a stupid layout and the course just is not worth playing. Another one I'll mention quickly is Holly Ridge. it's a cow pasture plain and simple. They could pay me to play there and I wouldn't. The Currituck Country Club is the one course I haven't played down there pretty much because it's about an hour away from my house.

Any other questions on the courses, just let me know.

Originally Posted by Yanks Fan

You only have a handful of choices down there quite frankly and I've played most of them. The best one in my opinion is Kilmarlic. It has more of a country club feel to it then the others and is always in good condition. It is probably one of the tougher courses down there but the one I enjoy the most. The Pointe is also a good choice. It's probably the easiest and most friendly course. Not a lot of trouble and it's wide open but the greens are always in great shape. The Carolina Club is the sister course to The Pointe and I like it more. It's a bit tougher than The Pointe but is in just as good of shape. Another course is Nags Head Links (the one running by the bypass on the sound side) but quite frankly I will never play there. It's a very gimmicky course. It has great views but it has a high price tag and the course just is not fun. There is always a very strong wind coming off the sound and the course has never been in that good of shape each time I've played. I personally will never play there again. Another one there is Sea Scape and you can go ahead and skip it as well. The owners are complete assholes and the course is just not good. It has a stupid layout and the course just is not worth playing. Another one I'll mention quickly is Holly Ridge. it's a cow pasture plain and simple. They could pay me to play there and I wouldn't. The Currituck Country Club is the one course I haven't played down there pretty much because it's about an hour away from my house.

Any other questions on the courses, just let me know.

Great information thanks.

I'll second the choices of Kilmarlic and The Pointe. I enjoyed my rounds played. And yes the others are overpriced and a bit gimmicky. I played Seascape waaaaay back in the early 80's and over time it seems to have gone downhill. It certainly looks impressive as you drive by, but I wouldn't go back. I was going to mention Duck Woods, but I double-checked and it is now a private club. It was a course that allowed public access several years ago. That was a fun course to play back then.

• 2 weeks later...
Kilmerlic is a must play, Nags Head is also fun with some great ocean holes. Sea Scape has some ok holes but the condition of the course is not good.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a few years since I have been there but the Currituck Club was very nice but a little overpiced.   There is a course a few miles inland called Goose Creek that is very affordable, pretty well maintained and forgiving.

In my Ogio bag:
Ping B60 Isoforce,

2 Rusty Callaway wedges w/riffle 6.0,

Ping ISI BeCu w/riffle 6.0,
Callaway Heavenwood 3,

Callaway Big Bertha 4 wood,

and a Ping G10 driver!

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted.....will be in Corona, NC in 10 days....setting up a time at Kilmerlic with my bro in law....can't wait.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by BallStriker

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted.....will be in Corona, NC in 10 days....setting up a time at Kilmerlic with my bro in law....can't wait.

Kilmarlic is the best OB's course by far, IMO. Real classic championship Carolina golf, not nouveau links like the Currituck Club, which is overbooked and overpriced.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 10 months later...

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Kilmarlic is the best OB's course by far, IMO. Real classic championship Carolina golf, not nouveau  links like the Currituck Club, which is overbooked and overpriced.

I agree that Kilmarlic is a great spot. It was a little worrisome though when every employee there was offering me bug spray.  With swampy water everywhere you will need it every 30 minutes or you will be sucked dry by mosquitoes.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Been a few years... I played The Point every weekday morning as a single. They let me join the morning locals group of old-timers -- several 4-somes that were the first groups out each morning. I came back each morning because it was fun, the people were nice, pace was great, the price was right, and it was a sporty test (even from the short tees that my new friends played). I was back to the rental house before the teenagers woke up. I have three of my all-time stories from those rounds.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Im actually going to OBX in August with my family.  We plan on playing out 3-4 rounds that week so this thread is perfect.  Any suggestions here would def help.  How much $$ am I looking at per round there? (on average)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind driving approx an hour go play Scotch Hall preserve.  It is a great golf course that no one knows about and is in the middle of nowhere.  It is an Arnold Palmer design and it is right on the Albemarle Sound.  It is just west of Plymouth NC.  They have a website that could give you more information.  The rate is $55 I believe and you probably won't play a nicer course all year.  They host a Hooters tour event there every year.  Any randmon saturday will only have 10 groups playing and during the week you can cut that in half.  Very nice place.  Can be a very challenging course from the tips.

Originally Posted by Matt M

Kilmerlic is a must play, Nags Head is also fun with some great ocean holes. Sea Scape has some ok holes but the condition of the course is not good.

I agree with the Kilmerlic :) So where you at? What place do you want to find a golf course?

• 11 months later...

We are headed down this week 4-18-21 and are playing Kilmarlic, Nags Head, Carolina and Currituck. Hotel for 3 nights and golf $393 per person. Looking forward to it and thanks ahead for all you guys comments.

Note: This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!