IGNORED

Your Goals for 2007

iacas
Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2006 for me was a solid year as I hit all of my goals

For 2007
1. Reduce handicap to 0
I plan to do this the same way i halfed my handicap in 2006, thro a solid mental game and better course management (playing for percentage shot more, gauging which pins to shoot for and which ones not to)

2. Get better control of my short game, specifically bump and run chips and 3 wood chips
My wedge play improved this year, but when I was just off the putting surface, I wasnt taking advantage of the chance to hole the chip and sometimes was struggling with my distance contol.

3. Play in State Am, US Am and US Mid Am Quailifers
In 2006, my goal was to play in the Public links Qualifer. I made the cut which i was very happy about, considering it was my first truly competitive round since 1986.

4. Play in US Open Qualifer
This might not happen in 2007 since i wont be able to get my handicap down to 1.4 by early May (thats only 2 revision periods here), so that will be a goal for 2008.

5. Play in some mini tour events
Something small and reasonably priced like the Moonlight.

6. Continue to improve on my iron play
Again tightening up my mental game will help this tremendously. I tend not to commit to my iron shots, which isnt a problem in driving and putting for me

7.Play in the 07 Q School Pre Qualifier
Get to the post office in time.

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eliminate the double-bogeys : got it down to one or two per round, but that's just not good enough.
Concentrate more : too many times this year I've lost it on the back 9. I need to commit to shots, let go of bad shots, and focus.
Learn to putt : I got a great tip in while in Florida earlier this month (thanks Eric) and hope it will carry over to next year's stats.
Play some tournament golf : I've never played a competitive round, and would like to try it out.

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Play 25 or More Rounds: I have a ten year old son that is golfing now so this will help.

Establish a Handicap: Never had one before. I signed up for a handicap last year at scorecard.com but didn't play enough to register one.

Keep Better Stats: I made my own statistic tracker last year on excel. Can track performance on each course and total combined for year.

Work on Tempo: Okay I'm finally ready to give up my urge to kill every drive. With my new Big Ben driver I've learned to let the club do the work. Now I want to hit fairways and play from the short grass for a change. Need to eliminate the 1 or 2 bad shots each round. No more topped shots.

Attend the Memorial Tournament: Nothing pumps you up more than seeing the pro's do it! Went to 2005 Memorial and followed the Tiger for 6 holes! Realized that these pros are just regular guys like myself. (they're a lot smaller in real life, Except for Tiger.)

Enjoy Time with Friends Golfing: Talking to buddys about a trip to Myrtle. Waiting for son to be older before going to Bandon Dunes and St. Andrews. Need to work on taking more golf photos for my golf room/office.

Read all the Golf Books: I have a nice golf library in my golf room/ofice with a lot of golf books waiting to be read but I can't get to them cause I'm always on the Sandtrap!

Finally get a REP POINT on the Sandtrap: I'm a nice guy who is very giving in the rep department, always positive. Hope to contribute more next year.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Over the last four years I have not been able to play as much golf as I like, because of attending college while playing collegiate baseball. So I will keep my goals simple for 2007...

Read Instructional Books : I would like to get and read Jim Hardy's Plane Truth by Jim Hardy, Dave Plez's 10 Minutes a Day to Better Putter, and Dave Plez's Short Game Bible.

Practice More : This goal will start out by getting buy an annual range pass and begin to understand if I have a one or two plane swing. As well as implementing drills into my range sessions.

Play More : In the last four years I most likely average 20 times a year, my goal is to double that by playing at least 40 rounds.

Establish Handicap : I have not had a handicap since playing high school golf which was an 8. If I was to establish my handicap under my handicap from 4 years ago, I would be satisfied with that.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Flatten My Swing Plane
I have been using a more classic upright swing plane like Chris DeMarco which is very accurate but puts too much stress on the upper back so . . .
I'm going to have to switch to the modern swing with the full shoulder turn and swinging more around the body. . . tried it today and it worked great

Stick With Blades
Just got a used set of 681's and already have TM Rac MB, both great sets, got to stay with blades this year and get the extra accuracy.

Dial In the 3 Iron
Get consistant direction and distance with this club and the rest will be easy.

Crush the Driver 285-300
Last year I was at 250-275 but I tend to hold back a bit on the course as opposed to the range, I need to let it rip on the course. New swing plane and Bridgestone B330 balls may provide the extra distance, I was getting it on the range today.

Play More Premium Courses
Bandon Dunes, Spyglass, Nicklaus Tournament PGAWest, SilverRock Resort, Arizona Courses, play in Hawaii

Attend More Golf Tournaments
Like to go to Sony in Hawaii and Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, ATT Pebble Beach

Get On To Some Private Courses
It's gotta happen sooner or later

Play 50 Rounds . . . at least!
And enjoy the experience of golf like never before.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Here is a list of my goals for 2007:

Lower Handicap,My goal is to lower my handicap from a 26 to a 12 this season.

Here is how I am going to do that:

Get Lessons: I am going to save up or sell some old clubs and get some lessons from a local pro. Because he is an excellent golfer and I think he could give me a lot of advice on my game and improving it.

Practice more: Throughout the winter season and through the summer I am going to try and make a collection of drills that I can pull out on the range/practice green and work on a lot of different things. Because I need to make my practice sessions more in depth instead of just hitting all my clubs on the range and then going to the practice green and chipping/putting for a few hours. I want to actually work on stuff.

Fitness: I'm 14 and a soccer player so I am in pretty good shape but during the winter and throughout the season I would like to start a golf fitness plan so I can start eating healthier and I can work on muscles I use in the golf game like make my core stronger.

Play more and be concentrated: I play with my friends most of the time and I have trouble concentrating once I get to the shot sometimes. So I want to be able to make jokes with them but still stay concentrated once I get to the shot. I also would like to play more so I get more on course experience.

Anger issues: I had a tendency to get upset last year and I actually broke a club, which I am embarrassed to even admit. So I would like to be able to stay calm because I know I could shoot better because getting upset doesn't help anything except my round..in a negative way.

keep track of my stats: I want to start keeping track of my stats so I know where i can improve on my game.

Have Fun: I don't really need to explain that, I just want to have a good time with all this and have a good time with my dad and my friends when I am out on the golf course.

my main goal for '07 is to reduce my handi to a 3 in order to do that i need to do several things

1- Focus more on the shot @ hand not the last shot: i have a verry poor mental game that winds up hurting me, it's not my ability thats holding me back most its my mind...

2- Complete my swing changes: me and my coach are in the finishing stages to my swing change once this is complete i should be set (of course i will continue to see him every week)

3- Last, improve putting: this is not helping me rite now...

My Bag

Driver- Titleist 907 D2 (10.5°), Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard
4 Wood- Nickent 3DX Pro (14°), Accuflex Icon
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX (17°), True Temper S300Irons (3 to W)- PING I3 Blades, True Temper S30056°- Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, True Temper S30060°- Cleveland 900 Gunmetal, True...

I want to focus on 3 areas.

1. Really work at flexibility.

2. Make a real effort to improve on course play by only thinking about the
shot not my swing on the course.

3. Spend more of my practice time ingrainging feel. I tend to get obsessed
technique, which doesn't work when actually playing.

Hopefully this will lead to more consistent play with around 32 puts, at least50% fairways and 4-6 GIR. I would like my handicap to drop by at least 2 strokes. I dropped it just over 3 strokes last year. I am trying to get into the high single digits by the end of 2008.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

To think things over. Better course management, I guess. Think about my shots, not just slam it as far as i can with the biggest club first & deal with what's left over @ the end. Smarter golf will drop my handicap quite a bit...

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

play more golf rounds...
in 2006, i just played 35 rounds in total...I could not improve my handicap at all...
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

qualify for us open, and match play of pubs links qualifier
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

1. Play at least 100 rounds of "regular" golf. In '06, I played 89 rounds of "regular" golf, 4 rounds of Captain's Choice, and 26 holes which were comprised of three or four rounds (combo of "regular" and "Capt's Choice) when my rounds were rained out at some point after starting.
2. Reduce my index from 12 to 9.9 or lower.
a. Start practicing chipping regularly.
b. Start practicing putting regularly.
c. Hit the practice tee regularly with objectives to make solid contact more consistently and to control ball flight (trajectory + direction) better.
3. Work with a PGA teaching pro to help with 2.a., 2.b. & 2.c.
4. Continue to improve my mental approach with respect to course management as well as not letting bad shots or bad breaks put me in a funk so I can take a positive approach to the next shot.
5. Relax and have fun.

Physical :
–Continue to walk and carry (got an Ogio Vaporlite so I can continue to do this, 3.8 lbs. – can’t overfill it though or what’s it matter).
–Consistently stick to a workout routine by exercising three times a week including cycling and running.
–Drop my weight to 180, started at 194 four weeks ago and am at 184 – almost there and maintain it during the year.
–Work on my flexibility, I’ll be 45 in February and this is one of the things that seems harder to maintain.
–Increase my core strength by doing lots of sit-ups.
Equipment :
–Decide whether I want to keep my irons or switch to Titleist 755 or 735.CM’s. I’m not sure how I’m going to make up my mind though. I’ve hit both the 755 and 735.CM’s well but I also hit my irons well.
–Decide whether to add a 54.10 Titleist Vokey SM to my set and if I do figure out which to shed, the 5 wood or the hybrid.
Mental :
–Enjoy the game more and relax.
–Take one shot at a time and get over poor shots as quickly as possible.
–Try not to make stupid mistakes, play within my limits.
Game wise :
–Shoot no worse than par on every par 3 and 5.
–Drop my handicap to 10 or lower.
–Drop my putting to average of 29 per round.
–Hit better than 60% of fairways and GIR (specially with wedges-7 iron).
–Keep stats more consistently and ensure I’m measuring the right things.
–Play every week as soon as the weather cooperates.

This is a great idea! Thanks for suggesting it Erik. As Tom Peters used to say “what gets measured, gets done.”

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

My biggest problem is getting the club stuck behind me so this is the year I keep the club face square.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Physical : (note: not all of this is directed at golf)
– Continue working out 3 times a week for normal workouts and another 2x a week for golf specific workouts.
– Do stretches for around 8 minutes a day. I'm young, but am not the most flexible person in the world. It hinders my swing a bit
– Increase my weight from 152 lbs to atleast 185 lbs in 6 months.
- Continue working my with Power Hitter Driver and Groovie Weighted Iron, building the muscles that are used in my golf swing.
- Work on putting and shortgame 15 minutes each a day.
Equipment :
– Get a 22 degree hybrid to replace my 4 iron. I don't ever hit an iron lower than 5, as it's the weak part of my game. I need something to fill the gap.
- Think about getting new wedges. I carry 4 with me, but none of them are what you would call top of the line.
- Get some better balls. I got 2 dozen noodle ices for christmas. Not exactly what I wanted.
Mental :
- Don't speed up when I make a bad shot or several. This is definitley a tendancy of mine. I need to stay in my routine.
– Avoid big blowups. Take your medicine, punch out, and make bogey.
– Stay determined and motivated with goals.
Game wise : (in order from least difficult to most. have only been playing for 1 1/2 years)
- #1 on school team
– Get 100 rounds in for the year, including just 9 (think i was c90 this year)
– Average <30 putts per round, 1.75 Putts per Green in Regulation
- Increase G.I.R to 40%. (not my strong point)
– Increase iron average by 15 yards
- Make cut at qualifier to get into sectionals
– Increase driver average to 275 yards
- Average <40 for school
– Drop my handicap to 5 or lower by April, and scratch by November (the latter much more difficult)

I put a lot of thought into this. I like it. :)

Get used to new blades....

Changing courses for 2007, so learn the layout facing some new challenges..

Drop cap index from 6 to 3 ....

PLay in more tournament, working on mental focus and experience more high level competition...

Finally make a hole in one....lol

Vacation trip to Myrtle Beach with my Dad and fiancee....yes I typed fiancee, she's a nut too, so want to really do that.. planned for late April 2007...

hmmm.... what else... Q School.....lol

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

More Fairways: This is crucial in setting up a decent approach especially on longer holes.
More GIR's: This is something that I have struggled with. I've blown way too many good drives that land squarely in the middle of the fairway with an awful second shot. Fortunately, I've been improving in the last few months.
Better Putting: On the courses I play, three putts should be non existent.
More Lag: My distance is average, I suppose. But this will help in reducing fat shots. If I can do this, my GIR's will certainly go up.
Focus: Play each shot like it really counts. I get rushed and nervous when other people are around or waiting. I need to relax and focus more.
Reduce handicap: I have no doubt in my mind that I can be a mid/mid-high single digit handicapper by years end provided I play enough. This will be tough, without a doubt, but my swing has improved quite a bit as of late and I think I can achieve this.

Can't wait to see some results!

Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!