IGNORED

A simple GPS ....

Note: This thread is 4181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Allthough you wouldn't expect from my hc. I can easely put a 250+ yds drive in the next fairway.

I have been using a rangefinder a few times, but it takes too much time and it is also no so very easy to use when you are at the wong fairway or behind something or if you have a blind shot etc.

It happens me to much I make GIR and be 15-20 yds short, leaving myself a very difficult putt, sooooo easy to make a 3 putt from 20 yds ....... I can hit myself, that I didn't hit a 7i instead of an 8i or similar ....... if I miss a par, it is mostly something like this ......

So I think a GPS might be more fit to the circumstances you are off the beaten track.......

I don't need a 640x480 full color display, but I would like info on Front, Center and Back of the green from the position I am in (I think this is called intelli-green or something), also some info on distances to the front and back of hazards, bunkers etc.

But I don't need info on stats, scorecards, advise on which club to use, etc.

I have been using Golfshot on a iPhone 3Gs for a while, but iPhone 3Gs isn't allowed and with all the stats etc. which I don't really need it is quite complex to use and I am also not interested to keep score for my 3 companions.

So I am actually looking for a basic GPS (like the Skycaddie SG 2.5), but maybe you have some recommendations aswell

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Santa brought me the Garman G3 and I love it. Small, light, and doesn't overload me with info, but tell's me what I need to know. I also really like the touch screen that let's me get a target to a particular spot on the hole.

I've got the Garmin G3 also and would highly recommend it.  Solid waterproof build, nice screen, good enough battery life for a couple rounds if you get good rechargeables---it uses AA batteries, so you have to provide those, but it also means you can stash a spare set of alkalines in your bag in case you don't have a chance to recharge.  No fees: you get every course they've mapped (which is a large, although not the largest) set of courses and can update with free downloads as they add more.  Has nice options for positioning the pin on the green and computing distances for lay-ups, although I'd say these aren't so necessary.

My only real complaint about it is that the "measure shot" mode is separate from the main screen, so if you want to measure shots regularly, you have to flip back and forth.  It's not so bad, but you have to hit the button on the side and confirm that you want to unlock the screen, go through two screens to switch to the other mode, then hit the button and confirm you're locking it again.  With practice you can do it quickly, but it'd be a lot more convenient if the measured distance were just a number in the corner of the map screen.

At about the same price point, Garmin also has their wrist-watch type GPS.  A guy I played with a few weeks ago had one and seemed to like it a lot.  I don't like to wear a watch while golfing, so that wouldn't be for me, but if you really just want distances, that'd be another option.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• 2 years later...

I have a Bushnell Neo plus (neo+) . While it's small and simple to use, almost all of the courses have  inaccuracies (several holes will be out by margins of 100 metres or so). I play in Spain and Australia. I'd forgive this if this was for recently designed courses but this isn't the case.

I write to igolf (who provide the database the Bushnells run off) they remap and advise, I reload, but still wrong. Is this the data or is it the satellites? Don't know.

Given that very accurate distance is the number 1 reason for using a gps I would not recommend this product to anyone. Bloody annoying.

Before I buy another, I would ask a local player what they use and if they're happy. I suspect Bushnell do the US well, just not so good with Europe and Australia. Maybe others do a better job for these areas?

Note: This thread is 4181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!