IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

Yeah… good luck with that one. It's not impossible, it's just really unlikely.

I'll stick with the current backswing and try to shallow out in the downswing then as per Stephan's instruction :-) Note to self: Become a stupid monkey.

Cheers

It's going to sound like I'm arguing both for and against doing this… because I am, but here goes:

You aren't the other person. You're built differently, have different mechanics, different body types, different backgrounds, different goals, clubhead speeds, etc. Comparing yourself to someone else is a fool's errand in total because the total package is very, very, VERY different.

You can use the other person to illustrate a small piece of the swing. This is very different than caring about the entirety. You can even use multiple players to illustrate the piece done slightly different ways (for example, PGA Tour players extend the trail knee on the backswing - they almost all do it, but to varying degrees).

Comparing your swing to a PGA Tour player, etc. is fine so long as you're limiting it to a specific piece, your priority piece at that, when you do.

Good post, I'll just add this @keeps21

And related to this, at A5 a line extended from the butt of the club should be pointing outside of the ball about 18 inches.

No doubt I'm reading into things too much and may be better off not looking at other swings but when looking at @skgolf and @iacas swings you both have the butt of the club pointing at the ball and @mvmac and Mike Bennett (in the images above) are pointing just outside of the ball - but none are anywhere near 18 inches. Just getting a little confused (again probably better off just doing what I'm told rather than looking at other people).

Maybe I missed a post but it doesn't have to be 18 inches (who gave you that measurement?). Basically at the ball or just outside of it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good post, I'll just add this @keeps21 [CONTENTEMBED=/t/81870/hitting-positions-vs-making-a-functional-golf-swing layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]  Maybe I missed a post but it doesn't have to be 18 inches (who gave you that measurement?). Basically at the ball or just outside of it.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/123868/] [/URL]

Thanks Mike. I guess when I'm looking at the positions it's as a whole sequence. if you hit each of the positions in sequence it'd be difficult to get to the next one in sequence in the wrong way wouldn't it? Whereas if you just look at any 1 position it can be done wrong. The 18 inches reference is in my latest evolvr lesson. But it may have been meant more of a feel (though feel wasn't mentioned) as I point inside the ball at a5. Here is the lesson: [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/RuTEbU447ik[/VIDEO]

Thanks Mike. I guess when I'm looking at the positions it's as a whole sequence. if you hit each of the positions in sequence it'd be difficult to get to the next one in sequence in the wrong way wouldn't it? Whereas if you just look at any 1 position it can be done wrong.

Yeah the point is to make a functional golf swing, not hit positions. Every good golfers hits slightly different positions/measurements. You can find commonalities and learn from that but you don't want to get wrapped up in "copying" a player's swing.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Another analysis back from Evolvr. Key#4 work.

I understand how to flatten the shaft in the correct way between A4 a A5, I need to feel more like my arms are going out to the ball, rather than going straight down (and getting stuck at my side) - tried a few swings when I had a minute last night and it feels better, it actually felt like I had more clubhead speed, more whip through impact.

Other thing to work on is getting the toe of the club more up at A2 as it's a bit closed, and also the hands more out as they're a little too far in.

And related to this, at A5 a line extended from the butt of the club should be pointing outside of the ball about 18 inches. No doubt I'm reading into things too much and may be better off not looking at other swings but when looking at @skgolf and @iacas swings you both have the butt of the club pointing at the ball and @mvmac and Mike Bennett (in the images above) are pointing just outside of the ball - but none are anywhere near 18 inches. Just getting a little confused (again probably better off just doing what I'm told rather than looking at other people).

18 inches is a good target for slow drill swings so you get an exaggerated feel you can identify with the correct motion. It will be much less with real swings. Edit to add* and the same thing with the "swing out to the ball". When I'm working on that I do slow mapping swings where I basically swing my arms out horizontally over and past the ball. Way TOO much. Then on full or even partial swings at speed, when I try to mimic that same feel it barely changes the picture in terms of arms depth but it does get the shaft to lay down. Exaggeration is good.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Changing the picture (new on the left, old on the right) - unfortunately missing the ball completely.

Priority pieces are toe more up (not so closed) at A2 and laying the shaft down between A4 and A5 by getting the hands more out (butt of club pointing at or outside of the ball rather than inside of the ball - though this is resulting in me coming over the top and swinging outside of the ball missing it completely.

Getting the toe of the club more up at A2 is throwing off my backswing a bit making it flatter than I'd like.

Changing the picture (new on the left, old on the right) - unfortunately missing the ball completely.

Priority pieces are toe more up (not so closed) at A2 and laying the shaft down between A4 and A5 by getting the hands more out (butt of club pointing at or outside of the ball rather than inside of the ball - though this is resulting in me coming over the top and swinging outside of the ball missing it completely.

The swing on the right I needed to have the club face more open and the arms a few degrees less in.

Gone too far the other way though, on the newer swing, on the left, hands aren't in enough (at all, actually) they've gone straight back. Need to get somewhere between the two.

Everything looks better until A7 when it's just a massive shank... can't help but think my head dipping down so much in the downswing is causing me to run out of room at impact so it's either hit the floor, or swing outside of the ball causing a shank.

If you like practicing (I don't) you should swing on grass with a bunch of balls and get feedback from your ball flight straight back. As per your last 2 weeks video you could be repeating the same wrong move 100 times and believe it is correct.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

If you like practicing (I don't) you should swing on grass with a bunch of balls and get feedback from your ball flight straight back. As per your last 2 weeks video you could be repeating the same wrong move 100 times and believe it is correct.

I agree it'd be useful to see where the ball is going now and again but I put my trust into Stephan, and Evolvr, the piece I'm working on is my priority piece as diagnosed by Stephan.

Easier to change the picture when you're not worrying about where the ball is going every shot.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53895/hitting-into-a-net

• Administrator

I agree it'd be useful to see where the ball is going now and again but I put my trust into Stephan, and Evolvr, the piece I'm working on is my priority piece as diagnosed by Stephan.

Easier to change the picture when you're not worrying about where the ball is going every shot.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53895/hitting-into-a-net

I was going to answer, but that's just about perfect.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A little better again.

I've also found that pushing my hips through faster, more aggressively helps me to hit out of the middle of the club face rather than towards the hosel which is something I've been struggling with.

I don't like how much my head moves away from the target between A6 and A7 but that's not my priority piece for now. (unless it's a very simple fix).