IGNORED

Putters: what happens if I cut 1.5~2 inches off the shaft?

ipark1303
Note: This thread is 6303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,
I was wondering what happens if I cut 1.5~2 inches off the Putter shaft?
Do you have any negative effects?
thanks!
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I have heard that it has to be sent back to the manufacturer so that they can cut it down and then re-balance the head to the shaft!!!

Im not completely sure of this but if it is an expensive putter your best not to ruin it. Speak to your local pro he should be able to tell you more.

Although will the negative of the balance be out weight by the ablitily to put better??? Its true that the average putter length on tour is 34inches yet the average sold in shops is 35inches!!1

THe shorter the putter the esier it is to putt with it!!!

I use a 33inche putter and it is amazing.
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

For a long time, I played a Ping putter that I simply had cut down to 32" (from 34" I think). I switched to a Cameron Newport 2 that was specifically made to be 33" -- which has a heavier head to better balance the shorter shaft. Now they're pretty different putters, but the change in feel has been dramatic, especially on longer putts. Based on my experience, I'd recommend getting a putter designed or professionally fit to be the length you need since feel is so important in putting.

Since you have a Cameron, you might get in touch with them to see what your options are. I know they change shaft length in the custom shop, but they might recommend a different path for that big a change.
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

Since you have a Cameron, you might get in touch with them to see what your options are. I know they change shaft length in the custom shop, but they might recommend a different path for that big a change.

That is very good advice... I've called them on a couple of occasions (in fact with my local clubmkr on the line) and they have been extremely helpful...every time I've been able to speak directly to some of the techs and get good, quick advice.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

Yes it does make a difference in feel, and seeing that you state your hcp is 7 I would think you would not be happy with the results..

Are we speaking about your Cameron?? If that is the case spend the money and send it back to them or go to a good fitter to let them make the right changes...

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Thank you guys for your fast replies!
No, fortunately I am not talking about my Cameron! That's almost "sacred and revered!" I would never have the courage to "modify" it by myself and actually I have already sent it to the Scotty's restoration custom shop for other fixes (rust, dent, etc)
Since I have been without a putter for few weeks I started to look for a "backup" putter and I was thinking to buy an old Ping putter. As you guys wisely pointed out, most of the putters are 35 inches long, but I usually putt on a 34 inches.... so I was wondering what would be the effect of a "personal modification".... my clubmaker expert always told me not to do so... but you know, I am stubborn and "necessity is the mother of all inventions!!!"

In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Hi,

ipark1303,

Cutting down your putter shaft that much won't have any negative effects. The only thing that will drop is swing weight. However, since putters are not swung in the same fashion as other clubs in your bag, many players often don't mind the drop in swing weight. It's not something you will know for sure until you do it. If the lighter swing weight bothers you, you can add lead tape to the sole, or a six to eight gram tip weight in side the shaft to bring some weight back into the club and increase the swing weight. If you really hate it, putting a two inch extension back into the club is a snap. Putter length is a very important factor in setup, posture, and stroke path. I would rather have a putter that fits me length wise and is lighter swing weight wise than the other way around.

Putter swingweight will go down 6 points per inch. That being said, swingweight in a putter is a variable that is only personal in importance. I like a 33" putter. I also prefer a putter that is 33" cut down from 35". The weight is perfect for me.
Example: My studio stainless came at 35" back in October. I took it out a couple times and both line and distance was terrible. Cut it to 33" and took it out yesterday for the first time. It was deadly from all distances. I've done this to enough putters that I no longer get concerned about ruining them. Give one a try! You may be very surprised.

Thank you for your great advice!
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

so what you guys are saying is that swing weight doesnt affect the feel of the club??

If this is some cheap putter that your really not to worried about then give it a shot however if this is a putter that you like or you thing that you could still get some money for it I would have it shorted by a clubfitter..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

No, swingweight does affect feel. I'm just saying it is not a nessecarily a negative affect. I would definately try it on a putter you're not worried about first. Cutting two inches off a 35" putter just happens to result in a feel I am very comfortable with. Anyone elses mileage may vary!
My question would be if a clubfitter added weight down the shaft or in the form of a tip pin to a putter to compensate wouldn't it affect the face balance of the putter?

My question would be if a clubfitter added weight down the shaft or in the form of a tip pin to a putter to compensate wouldn't it affect the face balance of the putter?

bg1,

No. There is no way to add a significant enough amount of weight in a concentrated enough fashion to affect center of gravity or face balancing. Let's look at this mathematically. Take a modestly weighted putter at 320g, say you cut a 1/2" off and want to make up the swing weight with six grams of lead tape across the sole. 6/320 = 1.875% that's simply not enough to significantly affect face balancing, toe flow, or center of gravity. To put things another way, it's like a fly landing on an elephant.

Just to add to the conversation. Don't be afraid to cut it down a bit to see if you feel better with a shorter putter. I went to a local shop and played around with 33" and 34" putters. Eventually I settled on a 33" (even though I'm a standard 6' tall.)

What I did do is add the heaviest weights to my Monza Corza. I didn't have to, but it felt better. Like gas_can said, the length of the shaft will affect your stroke in more ways than the weight will. I liked the feel of the heavier putter with a short shaft, so I went with it.

Just give it a try and you'll quickly find out if it isn't for you.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe that your putter head will then be too heavy for the length of shaft.. I could be wrong but the weights are different. Say a 35" putter will have a heavier head than a 33" putter will... I thought about doing that but was advised not to... I trust the person that told me, he has been in the club making business at a major retailer for quite some time..

Good luck

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

I believe that your putter head will then be too heavy for the length of shaft.. I could be wrong but the weights are different. Say a 35" putter will have a heavier head than a 33" putter will... I thought about doing that but was advised not to... I trust the person that told me, he has been in the club making business at a major retailer for quite some time..

Lumpy_22,

It is actually the opposite. The longer the shaft is, the lighter the head is. Board favorite Scotty Cameron uses the following formula for his standard lengths: 33" - 350g 34" - 340g 35" - 330g All puttermakers use that formula, because as a shaft gets longer swing weight increases, and maintaining the same swing is impossible with increasing the headweight.

While it is correct that a heavier weight head is needed on a shorter shaft to maintain swingweight, the majority of manufacturers in the world are not manufacturing different weight heads when they offer multiple lengths. Because swingweight in a putter is an uninteresting number it comes down to personal preference as to what feels right to the individual.
Scotty Cameron does indeed make different weight heads to create different length putters but he is the exception not the rule. While Scotty Cameron putters tend to run in the D6 swingweight as the norm it is not to say that C4 is not what I putt the best with.
A putter is the most personal of clubs and what works for one may not work for another.

Note: This thread is 6303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!