IGNORED

My Swing (jshots)

jshots
Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Each has regular speed and slow mo of a driver and an iron.

I'm clearly casting my club out fairly badly from the top, which makes sense as i pull or slice a lot and cut across the ball. I've struggled with it for years. Also my left arm is straight in the backswing and then bends a lot coming down, its weird that I didn't even know I did that until watching these. Also I seem to get off balance on my follow through quite a lot and find myself on my toes after swinging even though my weight is centered at address. Any idea why and how to fix it? Anything else you see that I should work on?

front

down the line

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

your coming over the top and cutting across the ball. One thing that is critical in getting better is understanding why shots slice and why shots draw. You need to learn to come from the inside more by dropping your arms more to the inside on the downswing, watch what pros do that have a similar arm position to yours at the top, they will drop their arms starting their downswing to the inside. Another thing from you coming across the top so much, its causing you to pull your butt off the wall and fall out of balance on the follow through.

Awesome thanks iacas. So starting on my heels then would seem to be what causes me to lose my balance in the follow through and end up on my toes. It seems then like my weight would have to be moving forward at impact position and causing my timing to have to be very precise.

Another question I found some open source analysis software

http://www.kinovea.org/en/

but any tips on what are some good lines to draw that can help me see whats going on?

Originally Posted by jshots

Awesome thanks iacas. So starting on my heels then would seem to be what causes me to lose my balance in the follow through and end up on my toes. It seems then like my weight would have to be moving forward at impact position and causing my timing to have to be very precise.

Another question I found some open source analysis software

http://www.kinovea.org/en/

but any tips on what are some good lines to draw that can help me see whats going on?

I think its from coming out to in so much thats throwing your feet off balance, think about it, you have a ton of momentum pushing your weight forward onto your toes especially the right foot from coming from the outside. The body is going to react naturally and you will feel out of balance. You dont want to start on your heels though

Yeah that certainly makes sense too and is probably contributing. I took some practice swings in my basement focusing on some of this stuff and found that i ended more balanced for whatever reason.

Yeah that certainly makes sense too and is probably contributing. I took some practice swings in my basement focusing on some of this stuff and found that i ended more balanced for whatever reason.

yea I mean think about it. Imagine having a weight on the end of a stick and you were holding it up in the air and letting it swing out to in from behind you to in front of you; its going to throw your right side off balance on the follow through. Same thing if your going to in to out, its going to throw your left side onto your toes naturally. Best way is a circle, nice and balanced

• Administrator

Originally Posted by motteler621

I think its from coming out to in so much thats throwing your feet off balance, think about it, you have a ton of momentum pushing your weight forward onto your toes especially the right foot from coming from the outside. The body is going to react naturally and you will feel out of balance. You dont want to start on your heels though

It's not from the over the top move at all. He hasn't come over the top yet at the top of his backswing, and an OTI move doesn't make you fall over because you end up swinging to the LEFT. What you said about momentum simply isn't true and is closer to being the opposite of the truth than anything else (in reality, swing path has almost no effect on balance).

Image : Balance lost at top of backswing:

_.jpg

Image 2: Path is not SUPER out to in. It is a little bit, but it's not drastic:

__1.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

It's not from the over the top move at all. He hasn't come over the top yet at the top of his backswing, and an OTI move doesn't make you fall over because you end up swinging to the LEFT. What you said about momentum simply isn't true and is closer to being the opposite of the truth than anything else (in reality, swing path has almost no effect on balance).

Im referring to the driver shot in the DTL, thats the one where he actually falls out of balance the most and he is way over the top. I use to have an OTT move and I use to fall out of balance just like him and thats what caused my out of balance issue. Guess what when I fixed my OTT move the right way I had balance, it makes sense but we'll just have to agree to disagree. Im not trying to challenge you or question your advice which is good. Just throwing my 2 cents in and the OP even said it makes sense

• Administrator
Originally Posted by motteler621

Im referring to the driver shot in the DTL, thats the one where he actually falls out of balance the most and he is way over the top. I use to have an OTT move and I use to fall out of balance just like him and thats what caused my out of balance issue. Guess what when I fixed my OTT move the right way I had balance, it makes sense but we'll just have to agree to disagree. Im not trying to challenge you or question your advice which is good. Just throwing my 2 cents in and the OP even said it makes sense

Aaron, the OTT move isn't causing him to lose his balance. He's simply not balanced at setup, so the movement he makes to try to balance himself mid-swing leads to him falling over. It has nothing to do - and almost never does - with his swing path.

_.jpg

Each has regular speed and slow mo of a driver and an iron.

I'm clearly casting my club out fairly badly from the top, which makes sense as i pull or slice a lot and cut across the ball. I've struggled with it for years. Also my left arm is straight in the backswing and then bends a lot coming down, its weird that I didn't even know I did that until watching these. Also I seem to get off balance on my follow through quite a lot and find myself on my toes after swinging even though my weight is centered at address. Any idea why and how to fix it? Anything else you see that I should work on?

front

down the line

Personally, I just think it's a really nice change to see a super slo motion video of someone who actually made solid contact (i.e. who ripped their drive!).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Someone swinging too far in to out is far more likely to lose their balance and fall towards where the golf ball is than someone swinging out to in.

At least in the case of someone swinging out to in the force of the swing and the momentum of their arms is taking them to the RIGHT. When you swing over the top you swing LEFT.

I agree with the first step above: fix the balance at setup, then re-evaluate and likely shorten the swing a bit for sequencing.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Your giving him good advice Iacas and he should work on fixing being on his heel so much at the top and if that fixes his balance issues for good then great. In my case I was on the balls of my feet at the top and the OTT move threw me off balance exactly like him.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Personally, I just think it's a really nice change to see a super slo motion video of someone who actually made solid contact (i.e. who ripped their drive!).

It was taken on my phone! Droid X if you were now wondering. Not the greatest FPS but pretty damn good quality for a phone.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Someone swinging too far out to in is far more likely to lose their balance and fall towards where the golf ball is than someone swinging out to in.

At least in the case of someone swinging out to in the force of the swing and the momentum of their arms is taking them to the RIGHT. When you swing over the top you swing LEFT.

I agree with the first step above: fix the balance at setup, then re-evaluate and likely shorten the swing a bit for sequencing.

You said the same thing twice in the first sentence.

And yes I plan to work on the balance, and then I'm going to try out the thought of keeping my RIGHT arm a little bit straighter to shorten my back swing as i saw in another post. Then i'll post another and see how it looks.

Originally Posted by iacas

He's simply not balanced at setup, so the movement he makes to try to balance himself mid-swing leads to him falling over. It has nothing to do - and almost never does - with his swing path.

This has been precisely my experience as well (poor balance at setup - on heels).  Working on redistributing my weight at address has helped with balance throughout the swing.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

So after reading all your input I was taking some practice swings in the shower. I would swing my arms back and could see much better my balance issue with no shoes. Right afterwards I got out and took some swings with a club and taped it and it is way more noticeable here.

After taking a few swings I realized that there were actually two things causing me to lose balance at the top like others had said.

1. At address, my weight was too much on my heels, like iacas and others suggested.

2. Even when my weight was correct at address i still lost my balance at the top of the swing (not quite as badly), but it was actually because of trying to stop the momentum of my back swing which sent me back onto my heels. A little bit more controlled backswing helped with this. Now i need to go hit balls!

• Administrator

You said the same thing twice in the first sentence.

I changed what he wrote. I think he meant to say in to out for one of them. I PMed Phil to see if I got it right. If he says no I'll change it the way he wants. If he says yes, then the correction that's there now will stay.

After taking a few swings I realized that there were actually two things causing me to lose balance at the top like others had said.

1. At address, my weight was too much on my heels, like iacas and others suggested.

2. Even when my weight was correct at address i still lost my balance at the top of the swing (not quite as badly), but it was actually because of trying to stop the momentum of my back swing which sent me back onto my heels. A little bit more controlled backswing helped with this. Now i need to go hit balls!

Great. You do have an OTI swing, and that's in the list of things to fix... but it's not #1. :-)

Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!