IGNORED

My Swing (Millhouse)

Millhouse
Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all...I'm trying to get back in the swing of things (no pun intended) as far as my golf game is concerned and my swing seems to be all jacked up. I have no clue what to do to fix this wicked slice of mine. Everything I hit slices...although the lower numerical irons of course don't slice nearly as much. The ball flight takes off right and slices more right. My driver is flat ridiculous....as in 150-200 yards with a 50+ yard lateral slice. I have never had this much trouble with my game, but I guess such is the case when you stop playing for 5+ years.

So far I have tried a strong grip (still sliced), slower backswing (still sliced), split baseball grip (still sliced...but hit "some" straighter balls). I've tried to not lift up when I hit...but again, still slice city. I've tried to not open the club face on the back swing...and still slice. The ONLY time I don't slice is of course when I mis-hit and bump the ground before I strike the ball...at which point it travels 300 yards dead straight. I feel that I'm stuck with my baseball swing….trying to lag the head of the club leaving it crazy open at contact. I'm certain I'm doing some other things wrong that are contributing to the issue though.

On the second video...skip to the 20 second mark....as the ball wouldn't stay on the tee and I don't have video editing capabilities currently.

Thanks for your help!

judging from the first video, it looks to me like the club comes over top/across the ball creating the spin for a slice.

Looks like the club needs to take more of an outside to in path.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

1) You're standing up/taller during the swing. An inch of deviation isn't terrible, but you're standing taller by 6 inches. Your back, hips, and legs need to work together and leave your head at about the same height. [img]http://i.imgur.com/A1vXT.jpg[/img] It's an awkward feeling. You probably feel like your lower body needs to be generating some power and helping out with the swing, but you don't know how. Your left knee bends and right leg straightens on the backswing, but during the downswing you straighten both legs and your back. This is part of what's pulling the clubhead around and down across the ball -- it's hard not to do this when you're doing that with your spine. See this thread: [url=http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips]Slide your hips[/url] And watch this video: [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAu2j2BtPQ&p;=C3301C9461D8AF0A[/VIDEO] Note the use of "standing up" in the video. Standing up is a good thing, but you don't want to stand [i]taller[/i]. 2) You're swaying to the right on the backswing. There are different opinions on whether it helps or not, but IMO it just complicates the swing unnecessarily. Unless you feel a specific need to sway right, I'd advise that you don't. I like the S&T; method of drawing a straight line between a point in the middle of the hips and a point in the middle of the upper shoulders, and then rotating around that line.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Awesome...thanks people.  I think I'll try to fix my standing up issue first...which I believe is tied to me have the wrong spine angle at address.  If I didn't stand up, I'd be throwing the club into the ground.

1. Keep your head still

2. You're really open at impact. try focusing on moving your weight to the left foot at impact. this (for me) will keep you from raising your body and also keep you from pulling your hips through too much.  (note: #2 is what worked for me, may not work for you)

• 1 month later...

I just figured I'd post an update.  I went ahead and had a lesson with a local golf pro (2 for 1 special).  He had my slice fixed in 5 minutes...no joke!  The fix was to change my spine angle as viewed from the front...basically dropping my right shoulder down which rotated my left arm to be in line with my right (squaring my shoulders).  If you look at picture 9 here...

...this is precisely what he had me do.  He went ahead and changed my posture to be more upright and had me swing less vertically (as a result of the more upright stance), but those were purely done to get me to swing more consistently.  It's AMAZING what that little tweak can do!  My 60 yard lateral slice immediately turned into a gentle draw!

Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!