IGNORED

How Often Do You Practice & What is Your Practice Routine?

WPLga
Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by WPLga

Do you mostly boom drivers on the range or do you have a set routine to practice your entire game? What about putting practice?

I don't practice at all.  There are a few reasons for this. The first is time. My time for golf is limited and I choose to play instead of practice. Second, practice is boring. Third, I am not concerned with advancing my game.  I play to have fun and practice is not fun.

I spend a lot of time just going to the course and pitching and putting........ or well i try too. Because after 10 minutes of hearing people tee off behind me i go and pay, and play.

I hit the range once a week. And play at least twice a week. Today i played, went home, back out to pitch and putt. Tomorrow night range. Friday pitch and putt. Saturday play. Repeat!

Actually Monday i have an appointment with golftec for an analysis (lesson, i think). I may be in the market for a fitting. And could use some professional help while im at it.

On playing days to warm up, I like to first go to the range and get a small bucket (40-60 balls depending where I'm playing). I hit balls with a wedge, short iron, long iron, hybrid, and wood. Then, if time allows, head to the putting green and hit some three footers, 15 footers, and 30 footers. This all take about 45 minutes and allows me to be fully ready to play.

On practice days, I like to go to the range looking to improve on some certain area. Always focusing on something, I think that the practice is starting to pay off.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Started seriously practicing over the last 4 months. Go to the range Monday, Wednesday and Friday after work. It's a 2 minute drive. Day 1 start with GW and work up through the bag hitting 10 balls each club to various targets on range. Day 2 chipping and putting. Day 3 repeat day 1. Play on Saturday. Following week is opposite of previous week so I would have 2 days chipping and putting that week. Probably do 1.5-2 hours each time. Before this I would be lucky to practice 1 time every 2-3 weeks.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

125 and in, chips, pitches, and putts.

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

I vary it, sometimes short clubs first, other times long clubs, even woods first. Will switch between mats and grass. Sometimes I'll use only one club, sometimes switch between wood and wedges. Sometimes my stock shot shape, sometimes try curving the ball alot. Usually I try and exhaust everything I digested from my last lesson, I stop practicing and just play until I have another lesson. How I practice hinges mostly on what my pro tells me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

3 hours putting per week

2 hours chipping within 80 yards

Play a round a week

Arrive 30 minutes prior to playing and practice putting

Chip the day before I play from 30 - 60 minutes

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I practice at least 4 times a week. I have had 2 full weeks this summer, but my lower back didn't like it. I tend to practice 4-5 times a week and give myself a day off in the middle of the week and Saturday or Sunday off. This is my practice routine:

1. Stretch out my shoulders and lower back

2. 10-15 balls with a wedge (half swings and/or chips)

3. 10-15 balls with a wedge (full swings)

4. 20-25 balls with a mid iron (3/4 swings)

5. 5 balls with the driver (smooth full swings)

6. Play 9 holes to work on all aspects of my game

7. Spend 15-20 minutes at the range before I head home hitting mid iron shots (sometimes the driver if it failed me during the 9 holes)

I rarely work on putting. I try not to get too technical with my putting. It caused me too many problems during my rounds when I was playing high school golf. I do, however, need to work on chipping more than I do. It is the weakest part of my game at the moment. I bet I am at 50% or less on up and downs right now....which sucks for scoring.

Titleist 905T 9.5* (Mitsubishi Rayon JAVLN FX V7)

Titleist 909F2 13.5* (Oban Devotion 7)

Titleist 906F4 15.5* (Aldila VS Proto 80-S)

Cobra S3 Pro Forged-M 3-PW (DG SL300's hard stepped)

Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* & 60*

Scotty Cameron Circa 62

Titleist 9.5 S83 Staff Bag

FJ Icon, Sport, and DryJoy's

Every day I hit 20-40 chips in my garden trying to land the chips on a frisbee from about 12 yards.

twice a week I play a practice 9 holes. Each time I hit a bad shot I hit another from the same place, around the greens I usually hit 3-4 of each approach shot.

Before a serious round if I have time I putt for at least 1/2 an hour with particular focus on putts in the 6-8 foot range, I start with a marker at 3 feet, after I hole 5 consecutive balls from there I move the marker back by 1 foot until I get to around 10 feet from the hole.

Whenever I get time I take 2 tubes of balls (40 balls) and hit them in the 80-150 yard distance range, aiming for a 5% tolerance (usually achieving < 10%) with about 10 shots with each club to 8 iron.

I don't practice my long game much at all other than practice rounds, I sometimes hit a tube of mid irons but not often.

Overall it's quite a lot of practice, my short game is good, the course I play is very penal to wide tee shots and generally hard to score on (lots of golfers in the 1-8 hcap range and gross 83 still qualified for top 16 in the club championship). I don't get enough hit FW's and I don't get enough GIR's, but my putting is 1.87 per GIR and 1.64 overall these stats are good.

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

This Year...

When I do find the time to practice, I focus on my short game.  ~100yds and in shots, chipping and putting.  For me based from my stat tracking (last 5rds) it is taking an average of 3 strokes from 85-100yds and that is not good enough for my goals.

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!